Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.L. Wakeling
Gemeente
:   Brightlingsea
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2520-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brightlingsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Always at the mercy of gluts and shortages, Brightlingsea's inshore fishermen between the wars gleaned a variable living stowboating. This method of fishing, where the anehored vessels rides head to tide, with its open-jawed net fastened from partway down the anchor cable, trapped the shoals of sprats as they were driven-in by the tide. Spratting was indeed a precarious livelihood. A bad season might bring a smack only a few shillingsworth of fish, A glut would send prices plunging, beeause of the very restrieted two-month season, and the fish would have to be sold off eheaply as manure. Asprat harvest once ashore was handled by a number of outlets, inc1uding loeal smoke-houses and six pickling yards, one in Colne Road, one in Duke Street, two in Tower Street, one in the yard of the 'Duke of Wellington' inn and one in the yard of the 'Freemasons Tavern' . This picture was taken outside one of the yards in December, 1912.

50. A large number of people's livings depended upon the winter sprat fishery. Not least of all in the local pickling yards where work would be in full swing around Christmas. The processed sprats were put into barrels for export to the Continent, the Scandinavian countries and to Russia being sent there from Brightlingsea rail station via Colchester and Harwich.

51. Preparing the sprats for smoking at Musson and Cernpany's fishyard, Brightlingsea. After being washed in fresh water, laid in salt for six or seven hours and fresh-water rinsed, the fish were skewered onto metal spits. Then they were wind-dried for a few hours prior to being placed in smoke from oak chippings damped down with oak sawdust. Brightlingsea's smoked sprats were a delicacy par excellence.

52. A familiar sight in Brightlingsea's Victoria Place until it was demolished in 1978 was the white-washed, single-storey building which, for the last forty years of its existence, was used as the 'front office' for A.W. Norfolk and Son's garage and motor repair business. On his return from serving in HM forces during World War One, MI. William Bunting opened-up there as a butcher being succeeded at his death by Mr. Ralph Durrell in 1922, when our photograph was taken. Previously it was used by Mr. James Carter as a fishshop. During Mr. Durrell's occupation, the premises became the fust butchers in Brightlingsea to store and retail refrigerated meat.

53. Whlle Brightlingsea was involved with the Peace Celebrations on July 19, 1919, a British North Sea Patro1 Vesse1, the NS7, passed overhead. Be10w is Hill House, Chapel Road.

54. Charles Christmas Trubshoe, born January 28,1824, died July 11, 1889, Brightlingsea's first policeman. The practice of appointing residents in turn to act as unpaid constables, in force for sa many centuries, began to erode in the early 1800's. In 1832 the Tendring Magistrates wanted to appoint additional constables, butthe parishioners objected as these appointments had always been made by the Court Leet. At length it was agreed that the Court Leet should appoint an additional six. At the next meeting of the Court a further eight constables were appointed and special Leets were held to swear them into office. However, it was enacted in 1842 that a Court Leet should not elect a petty constabie except for purposes unconnected with the preservation of the peace. Born in Little Easton, near Dunmow, Charles Trubshoe joined the Police Force in June, 1845, and was posted to Brightlingsea where he served until retirement on June 30, 1884. Married to Rosina Franklin on May 18, 1847, Charles and his wife were blessed with four daughters, Rosina Mary, Emily, Laura and Julia, and two sons, William and George, all of whom were Brightlingsea bom.

55. The earllest known Post Office in Brightlingsea was a small room added in front of 9 High Street. Later the office was moved to larger premises at 17 High Street. For some fifty years Brightlingsea's mail was in the charge of the family Minter, William from the 1850's to 1866, Rhoda 1867-1884 and Samuel 1884-1904 - latterly from premises on the corner of New Street and High Street. In 1905 Brightlingsea's Post Office removed to its present site in Victoria Place, on the corner of Queen Street. The first Postmaster there was Emile H.A. Haestier, who stayed until his transfer to Stanstead in 1912. He was succeeded by Rhoda Fuller, pictured here with her staff just after her appointrnent.

56. Dominating the Chancel at All Saints' Church is a most elaborate monument to Nicholas Magens, who is buried under a fine leger slab in front of the altar. A German merchant who made his horne in London, Magens was a founding father of Lloyd's marine insurance. He bought the estates at Brightlingsea a year before his death. The monument in the rococo style was executed in marbie by Nicolas Read, a pupil of Roubiliac, and erected in 1779. The central globe shows California as an island on the west coast of America. The angel of the Ressurection stands to the left holding a record of Magens' life and this is balanced by a huge cornucopia and finely carved anchor to the right. In 1848, at the' age of eighty-seven, his son, Magens Dorrien Magens, Lord of the Manors of Brightlingsea and Moveron's since 1794, died.

57. An interior view of All Saints' Church circa 1890. The stained glass of the fifteenth century window is Victorian, but of good quality. lt has three cinquefoillights. In the north aisle the painted glass showing St. Paul is Flemish of the sixteenth century. The organ was placed in the ancient south chapel during the last century. Memorial brasses remaining are to the Beriffe family.

58. A local Hunt meeting at the Hard during the early twenties. Traditionally the foxhounds were asserribled at Hurst Green, but on the occasion of our photograph the Brightlingsea venue was changed to the Hard in front of the Anchor Hotel. Mine host, centre, was Mr. E. (Bob) Percival, seen accompanied by his daughter Elsie (Mrs. Clifford Gould). Providing an industrial and maritime backcloth are Mr. Summer's blacksmith shop and Mr. Jerry Vineent's oyster and sprat sheds.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek