Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.L. Wakeling
Gemeente
:   Brightlingsea
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2520-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brightlingsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

1

59. If the modem practice is to undress for the beach, in circa 1900 Brightlingsea it was the opposite. For the weekend excursion to St. Osyth Stone and the beach there the local trippers put on their Sunday best and 'got away from it all'!

60. The idea of recording on tiles the deaths at sea of Brightlingsea seamen, occurred to the Reverend Arthur Pertwee in 1883 after the shocking disaster of March 6 of that year, Then, it will be recalled, nineteen Brightlingsea men were drowned off the Dutch coast. He worked back from records of the loss of life at sea to 1872, the year ofhis induction at Brightlingsea as Vicar. The Reverend Pertwee was heiped in the work of recording these tragedies and installing the tiles by the churchwarden Mr. William Stammers, by Mr. Arthur Blyth, who 'wrote' the inscriptions, and by others of the parish. Mr. Starnrners also bequeathed f200, the income from which shouid be used for the erection and maintenance of the tiles. As far as it is known, the frieze of memorial tiles at All Saints' Church is unique in English churches. Up to 1919, the year of the Reverend Pertwee's death, one hundred and seventy-seven tiles had been installed. By 1983, one hundred years since the oid vicar first thought of instituting the custom, two hundred and twelve tiles comprised this simple but expressive memorial at the marmers' church on the hill.

By the Härd, Brightlingse~.

61. The 'Will Everard', fetched up on Brightlingsea's Hard, is the centre of attention by Sunday morning strollers in the early 1900's. Built by Fellows of Yarmouth for Everards of Greenhythe, to trade between British and Continental coasts, this 250 ton Thames Spritsail barge was a fine example of a type of vessel peculiar to the Suffolk, Essex and Kent coasts. lts shallow draught and flat bottom was ideally suited to the loeal conditions of a coast line dotted with sandbanks and with loading ports in shallow rivers and backwaters. Perhaps one of their greatest advantages lay in the simplicity of the spritsail rig used enabling a crew of only two men or, as in many a case, a man and his wife, to handle them; although the regular continental traders would carry two men and a boy. Many of these craft were built in Brightlingsea shipyards, owned by Brightlingsea merchants and sailed by Brightlingsea mariners. The sailing barge evolved during the early nineteenth century and reached its heyday between the 1870's and 1930's from which time, owing to its competition with more modern and faster steel-built diesel-engined craft, plus the competition from road transport, it gradually declined and finally went out of existence as commercial craft in the 1950's.

Brizhtlinzsca Church from the Raad:

62. All Saints' Church circa 1887. Visitors to Brightlingsea frequently ask why the parish church is so far from the town. It might be more apt to ask why the town is so far from the church since the town carne into existence much later. Several reasons have been expressed over the years as to the position of the building; particularly as the church stands at the cross roads with Moverens and Thorington over which the loeal priest is said to have had jurisdiction. Moverons was of importance from earliest times and the Romans had an encarnpment there, also they used the ford to Alresford. But the popular and perhaps more practieal reason for the church being away from the people is that at the time of the Black Death in 1349 what remained of the population fled to the waterside and there rebuilt. Then there is the suggestion that a high point was the obvious loeation on which to build a church.

63. A famous Brightlingsea mariner, Captain Edward Sycamore, skipper of 'Shamrock 2', the second of five unsuccessful challengers of that name for the America's Cup, used to meet a loeal farmer at the Swan Hotel. One day, in 1906, over drinks, they were discussing the skills of their respective callings. Eventually the captain challenged the farmer to a ploughing match, to prove that by using his compass he could plough a furrow as straight as the farmer could. The challenge was accepted, and, a Saturday afternoon being fixed for the contest, a large crowd assembied on the farmer's field. The betting was about even. The seaman won. When Sir Thomas Lipton, owner of the Shamrocks, heard about the contest he presented a cup to be competed for annually. When after some years horses on the farm were replaced by machinery, the matches were discontinued and the cup lodged in a loeal bank, where it stayed until it was given to Brightlingsea Sailing Club. It is now one of the many trophies and cups raced for under the club's burgee. Our picture postcard shows Captain Sycamore instructing a loeal beauty in the landlubbers' art.

64. Brightlingsea's Shelter at the Hard, a gift to the town by the American millionaire, Mr. Bayard Brown, of the S.Y. 'Valfreyia'. In 1912, paid for by private donations and with the small balance of the Coronation Celebration Committee's fund, a Clock was erected on the south side of the Shelter as a permanent memorialof the coronation of H.M. King George V two years earlier.

65. Brightlingsea's memorial to the 1914-1918 War dead, in Victoria Place, was unveiled by Brigadier-General F.W. Towsey, CMG, CBE, DSO, on October 20, 1921. After the ceremony of unveiling and dedication a very large number of floral tributes was placed around the memorial. One of the wreaths was from the loeal schoolchildren and was carried by Winnie Dines, Donald Eade and Charles Westall, who had all lost their fathers in the war. It was fitting that the Reverend Arthur Francis Waskett, BA, as an ex-servicernan, should pronounee the actual words of dedication. Other clergy taking part were the Vicar, the Reverend R.F. Rendell, BA, FRAS, and the Reverends H. Deans (New Church) and W. Rosewarne (Congregational Church). Buglers of the 2nd. Leinster Regiment sounded the Last Post. Also attending the ceremony was Councillor G .C. Solley, who was making the first visit of a Mayor of Sandwich to Brightlingsea since Richard Parrett came here some three hundred years earlier during the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1. Sandwich councillors, Aldermen Hicks and Stapes and Councillor Watts accompanied their Mayor. The Deputy of Brightlingsea, Mr. T.B. Howard, was also present.

66. Brightlingsea's War Memorial. Subscriptions totalling U,OSO were received in response to an Appeal initiated by the Reverend R. Fermor Rendell, Vicar, as early as March, 1918, to provide Brightlingsea with a permanent War Memorial. Sited in Victoria Place, the memorial is in grey granite, with two bronze pictorial panels and two tablets bearing one hundred and eight narnes of the fallen of World War One. It was designed by Captain R. Goulden, RE, who served in Brightlingsea with the Engineers during the war. A further twenty-three names were added to the memorial after World War Two.

67. Mr. McEvers Bayard Brown, 1852-1926. Born in Brooklyn, New York, Mr. Bayard Brown, as he later became universally known, first came to Brightlingsea to charter S.Y. 'Juno' in which to start yachting. In 1887 he purchased S.Y. 'Lady Torfrida', 623 tons, from Sir William Pearce, Bart., and cruised extensively in her. He then sold 'Lady Torfrida' to the Grand Duke Michael of Russia, a cousin of the Czar, and, in 1889, purchased, also from Sir William, the palatial steam yacht 'Valfreyia', 735 tons, the vessel which became his home for the rest of his Iife. Arriving in the River Colne on June 5, 1889, 'Valfreyia' dropped anchor a few hundred yards off Brightlingsea - to remain there for thirty-four years until removing, in 1923, to the Rennie Drydoek at Wivenhoe. After Mr. Brown's death, in 1926, 'Valfreyia' was sold to the Jam of Narwanagar, generally known as Prince Ranji. Mr. Brown was a philanthropist to eccentricity, giving away large sums of money to scores of applicants who besieged him day and night. Practically every day, summer and winter, boats were ranged around the American millionaire's yacht; sometimes twenty or thirty boats containing some sixty or seventy people were assembied at one time. Brightlingsea has much to be grateful for to MI. Brown. His gift of the Bayard Recreation Ground, donations towards the enlargement of the church school and improvements to the Hard plus the provision of the Hard Shelter were only some of the loeal projects receiving his generous benevolence. Following a memorial service in St. Mary's Parish Church, Wivenhoe, Mr. Brown's body was conveyed to London en-route to the United States for interment in the family vault at Brooklyn.

68. Any collection of Brightlingsea photographs would be incomplete without two nonengenarians of the 1930's. Born within three days of each other, in March, 1840, Thomas Rouse (left) and Charles Chaplin exemplified the sturdy breed of Brightlingsea men whose maritime calling took them worldwide. Both men started work at eight years of age, Mr. Rouse in looking after pigs, of which he was scared and left the first day, and Mr. Chaplin at rook scaring. Apprenticeships followed for both young men, Thomas to the salvage trade and Charles to the smack 'Arrow' on which he made trips to Jersey for oysters. He was with Mr. Thomas Hall for twenty-seven years, ten years aboard the illfated 'Mignonette' and then the yawl 'Gertrude', Other boats in wbich he served were 'Danitza', of 110 tons, the 40-ton yawl 'Daisy' and the Duke of Somerset's 'Caprice', He worked on the water until he retired at the age of eighty-four, the last four being spent ferrying, Mr. Rouse worked in the salvage boats until he was twenty-one. And, before retiring at eighty-two from a shore job in the Aldous shipyard, spent most of bis time yachting in the summer and stowboating in the winter. He will be remembered locally as the cook/steward in the 'Venus', 'Gardinia', 'Advocet', 'Sybil' and the S.Y. 'Ratter'. The two life-long friends were finally parted in September, 1931, with the death of Mr. Chaplin which was followed by Mr. Rouse's demise in January, 1934.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek