Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Brightlingsea in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.L. Wakeling
Gemeente
:   Brightlingsea
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2520-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brightlingsea in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Choosing Day in the Ringing-room at All Saints' Church, Brightlingsea, December 5,1927. Except for a lapse of some eighty years from 1805, Brightlingsea has been electing Deputies to the Mayors of Sandwich since 1442 - and perhaps earlier! The annual Cinque Port ceremony also includes the recognition of new inhabitants and so large was the number of men present in 1927 that the proceedings were transferred to the green immediately before the Lychgate at the entrance to the churchyard. Chosen by his fellow Freemen as Deputy of the Cinque Port Liberty of Brightlingsea for 1927/28 was Mr. A.W. Norfolk from the traditional 'three reputable inhabitants'. At the same time his six Assistants were elected as were the Officers of the Liberty, Our picture shows the celebrated Dr. Edward Percival Dickin, Keeper of the Records, reading the minutes of the previous year's proceedings with the treasurer, Mr. Harry Chamberlain, on his left. In the chair is the retiring Deputy, Mr. Charles Brasted, with the senior Assistant, the Reverend F.A. Grosvenor Smyth, on his right, It was on this occasion that the Cinque Port Liberty Sports Shield was first presented for annual competition between local schools.

70. Brightlingsea Boy Scouts and Church Lads Brigade members were among the loeal youth who collected for the Titanic Widows and Orphans Relief Fund during April, 1912. As a result of ss 'Titanic' sinking in the Atlantic on April 15, 1912, a memorial tile was added to the frieze in All Saints' Church to record the death of Sidney Conrad Siebert, aged thirty, who perished in the wreek. At the time of the disaster, Mr. Siebert was aboard the 'Titanic' with his brother-in-law, Charles Savage, both of whom were serving as stewards. Mr. Savage was a survivor from the ill-fated vessel and though Mr. Siebert was pulled aboard one of the lifeboats, after swimming for nearly a mile he succumbed from the cold and exhaustion. He was eventually recommitted to the deep from which he had seerned to have eseaped. Mr. Siebert was married to Miss Winifred Rose Savage on October 5, 1907, at All Saints' Church. Bath young men attended the local National School as boys, a circumstance of which the half-rnasted school flag was a reminder.

BRJÓl1rLlNG~.EA CREEK

71. Brightlingsea Creek viewed from St. Osyth Stone in 1903/04. The newly-opened Anchor Hotel dominates the local waterside while the ketch 'Fiona' (CK30) and the smacks 'Zouave' (407CK) and 'Irex' (l52CK) lie at anchor in the Creek. Captain Arthur Cook's 'Iris' just edges into the picture in the foreground. The 'Fiona' was the last Brightlingsea sailing smack to dredge for scallops 'up Channel'. This was in 1931, and, after being laid-up locally and in Wivenhoe, was handed over to the Sea Scouts in 1947 for use as their guardship. 'Fiona' was moored at Fingrinhoe, near Ballast Quay Farm, where she remained until broken-up twenty years later.

72. The Brightlingsea Deputy's badge and chain was presented by Mr. John Bateman in 1893. The badge is a very fine opal known as "The Great Opal' which Mr. Bateman had carved to represent a seascape. Round the mount is the Latin inscription 'Urbs Brictriceseiae ex dono Johannis Bateman' (The town of Brightlingsea by the gift of John Bateman). The pendant has the inscription 'Pulchra Matre Filia Pulchrior' (From a beautiful mother, a more beautiful daughter). The chain of solid silver is made of alternate links of oyster shells and crossed sprats. Held in trust by the Corporation of Sandwich, the Deputy's badge and chain is to be the badge of the Mayor in the event of Brightlingsea becoming a Corporation. If the appointment of the Deputy should cease in any other way, it is to return to the head of the Bateman farnily. The chain was designed by Piers Egerton Warburton, Esq., late MP for Mid-Cheshire and made by Mr. M.G. Chambers, silversmith of Colchester. The badge was carved by Mr. C. Bryant of 33 New Bond Street, London.

73. The staff of W.F. Pattison and Son, sailmakers, shipchandlers and general outfitters, at Brightlingsea's Waterside, pose for the photographer with Mr. William Pattison junior (front, right). Two of the local mariners in the rear rank sport the navy-blue guernseys signifying their membership of the yachts 'Anemone V' and 'Julia', respectively, successful in the 1920's regattas.

74. Brightlingsea's Reading Room in Duke Street and its caretaker, MI. Frederick Cross. After a preliminary meeting on November 21, 1879, and a further meeting on December 26, 1879, the Rooms were launched. The first premises were above Pannell's stores in Victoria Place and rernoval to a rented house at No. I Duke Street took place two years later. Mr. Cross succeeded Mrs. Pinnick as earetaker in 1896 and served in that capacity until his death at the age of eighty-one in January, 1906. For many years he was skipper of the yawl 'Adelaide'. In 1897 the Room became the gift of the late Mr. James Aldous, the legacy receiving the approval of the Charity Commissioners with Trustees appointed. It wasn't long before the Room beeame a games centre, then alending library was added. In 1921 a billiard table was purchased and this attracted both young and older men into membership. By 1937 the local demand for billiards was at an end and the table was sold, A deelsion to put the billiard room portion of the premises to fuller use resulted in its hire to the Essex County Council for use as a branch of its Public Library from 1938 until the opening of the County Library in New Street in March, 1968. Today the Reading Room is contained in but a single room, once the earetaker's dining room, and this has also taken on the additional role of the local museum.

75. Retired Essex police sergeant, George Every, in addition to his two Waterside shops, and later a restaurant, was the proprietor of the oid barge 'Pandora' which he had converted as a sweetshop and tearoom and sited on St. Osyth Stone. Here holidaymakers, during the summer months, could buy sweets, ices, doughnuts and cups of tea and, if they wished, sit at little tables in the barge and eat their purchases. Goods for sale in the barge were kept replenished from the Waterside shops and these were ferried from the Hard to 'Toozey Stone'. Seen in our picture postcard seated outside 'Pandora', in 1910 or thereabouts, are four Ioca1 'old worthies',

76. Before the development of the present promenade, in 1923, the only available beach with sand was across the Colne at St. Osyth Stone. Here was sand in plenty and beach huts for hire. There were always ferrymen available at the Hard to 'row you across' on high days and holidays to Brightlingsea's Riviera.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek