Brighton in old picture postcards

Brighton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John Montgomery
Gemeente
:   Brighton
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2725-7
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Brighton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. The graceful paddle steamer Brighton Queen, perhaps the most famous of all south coast excursion ships, is seen here leaving the Palace Pier on a Channel trip on a summer day in 1908. Launched in 1897, she took thousands of trippers on visits to France and neighbouring seaside resorts like Eastbourne, Hastings, Dover, Ventnor, Cowes, Bournemouth and Totland. During the summer months she made the day trip between Brighton and Boulogne three times a week, and her voyages to Calais, Le Havre, Trouville, and Cherbourg were an important link in the Entente Cordiale. In 1914 she was chartered as a naval mine-sweeper, and in October 1915 she struck a mine off the Belgian co ast and quickly sank. The French newspaper La France du Nord, observing her loss, said she had been a bond uniting the two countries. Another Brighton Queen was launched by the Campbellline in 1933, but was lost in the 1939 war.

H·M·S·l)E'f'ONlA.

MIME SWEEPINC;·1914--l919.

p·s· DEVON1J -

30. A rare card with two photographs of the popular paddle steamer Devonia, the pride of Campbell's White Funnel holiday fleet. On the left she is seen as a naval mine-sweeper in the 1914 war, with a mine exploding near her stern. Unlike the Brighton Queen and other paddlers, she escaped damage in the 1914 war and returned in her old colours to take thousands of post-war visitors on sea voyages. In 1928 a return trip to Boulogne cost 14s. 6d., and a ticket to Ryde and back was five shillings. But she was badly damaged at Dunkirk in 1940, while taking off troops of the British Expeditionary Force, and French allies. Bombed and beached, the old veteran was captured by the Germans, who eventually removed her as a canteen ship. This card was printed by Deane, Wiles and Millar of 9, Regent Court, Brighton, in 1929.

31. Dur postcard, photographed on Lifeboat Day, September 1, 1928, shows the launching of the William Wallis boat from the lifeboat station east of the West Pier. Crowds watch the vessel being pulled and pushed over the beach to the sea. The busy West Pier, with its theatre, concert hall, and landing stages, is seen in the background. While the boat was being launched, women went around the town with collecting boxes for the R.N.L.l. This was, and still is, an annual event, but the locallifeboat is now based at Shoreham. The tewn's rust lifeboat was installed in about 1855, when John Wright, who owned pleasure boats and bathing machines, provided a vessel to rescue shipwrecked mariners. Two years later the first officiallifeboat, the Robert Raikes, was launched, in memory of the founder of Sunday Schools. Brighton school children helped to buy the boat named after him.

32. In 1905 Harry Preston, the owner of the Royal Albion and Royal York Hotels, together with other sporting celebrities, persuaded Brighton Corporation to let them organise motor racing trials along Madeira Drive to Kemp Town. To enable vehicles to travel fast, the tewn's first tarmac road was laid down. This card, published in 1906, shows the new surface, with two early touring cars and three horse vehicles. The original road was made in 1870, replacing an old dirt track. Nowadays it is used for veteran car runs, parades of historie vehicles, motor cycle rallies, the Stock Exchange walk finish, and speed trials - in the tradition of the 1905 races. But it looks very different today.

, ..

. ~ ~ .. .. ...

..?... ., ; .. .;.

33. This is Brighton's first motor race week, held on the seafront in July 1905. Most of the famous racing drivers of the time took part, including the Hon. C.S. Rolls, Clifford Earp, S.F. Edge, and J.T.C. Moorc-Brabazon. The course was the new tarmac surface laid down along the Madeira Drive from the Aquarium to Kemp Town. Our postcard shows S.F. Edge, the winner of the Autocar Challenge Cup, who created a new English record for the flying kilometre, in his 90 hp Napier. The car achieved 97.20 miles an hour over a measured mile. According to the Brighton Gazette, the roar of the engines of the huge racing monsters was like 'the sound of an artillery volley'. Since those days, the town has held regular car and motor cycle speed trials along the same stretch of road, although some residents have never been in favour of the events.

34. This view of the Aquarium and Marine Parade in about 1902 will be unrecognisable to today's residents and visitors. The Gothic, highly ornate Victorian clock tower was a landmark to which many people at first objected, but when it was finally demolished in 1929, there was a public outcry, because the town had grown accustomed to seeing it. As this postcard indicates, the houses along Marine Parade have altered very little in the last eighty years, but close inspeetion of the card reveals many changes. There appear to be very few vehicles on the streets, and whatever the boy with the barrow is offering for sale, business is not exactly brisk. 1t is nearly two o'clock on a summer afternoon, and all is at peace with the world. The Boer War has just ended, and Edward VII will soon be crowned King-Emperor.

35. The concert hall of the old maritime Aquarium is arranged for a concert, in 1902. During Victorian and Edwardian times it was one of the town's main attractions. There were terraeed gardens on the roof, a roller skating rink, and regular performances by famous orchestras and soloists. During the summer there were pierriot shows and concert parties. Later, there were pantomimes, lectures, film shows, and - on the roof - clock golf. In 1929 the Victorian structure and clock tower were replaced by the present building, but the huge underground tanks full of fish, seals, seal !ions, and other exotic sea creatures have remained. Today the Aquarium is better known as the Dolphinarium, but the original Victorian decorative arches and what was once the concert hall still remain.

36. The 1920's had their traffic problems, as is seen from the congestion outside the old Aquarium in August 1922. At this time the Corporation was hoping to lease the building to the Southdown bus company as a coach station, because after the 1914-1918 war the Aquarium had proved financially unsuccessful. But Labour councillors strongly opposed the demolition of the old Victorian building, and although it was later rebuilt, it never became a bus station. Note the magnificent white saloon car in the lower left corner, and the solitary pony trap on the right, driven by an elderly lady in a Victorian black hat. The photograph, like our next view of the Aquarium, was taken from a balcony or window of the Royal Albion Hotel.

37. The new Aquarium looked quite different in 1929, after it had been publicly opened by Prince George, later Duke of Kent, the third son of King George V. Like the earlier building, it was mainly underground, in order not to spoil the sea view. In fact, only the top of the Victorian structure had been rebuilt. After opening the new Aquarium the Prince went into the Royal Albion Hotel as guest of its famous owner, Harry Preston, who was later to be knighted and was called the Uncrowned King of Brighton. After changing his clothes, H.R.H. went to Southwick to open a new harbour loek, which still bears his name.

38. This view from the top of the Royal Albion Hotel shows the Old Steine gardens in the centre of the town, looking northwards towards the Downs, in about 1890, befare the arrival of the tramways and motor vehicles. The gardens, central fountain, and the trees in the middle, have changed little over the years, but the houses on the right, where offices have replaced private hotels, have altered considerably. The streets, even when traffic increased in the early years of the century, have never needed widening. The spires and minarets of the Royal Pavilion may be seen on the left, and the South Downs are visible in the distance.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek