Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Rennie Bere and Roy Thorn
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cornwall
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3094-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. The upper basin of the canal with Pethcrick's wharehouses as they appeared in 1924 with several lorries and a single horse-drawn coal-cart, symbolizing the beginning of one era and the end of another. These buildings have changed little externally but instead of advertising wool, coal and grain they now proclairn 'Adventure Days' and serve as a centre for adventure training and holidays: canoeing, surfing, rock climbing and many other vigorous activities. Immediately to the left of this picture was Stapleton's shipyard, established in 1830 and worked by the same family until about 1916. Ships, which always had to be launched and taken out of the water sideways, were built, altered and repaired; the last big job was the conversion of the ketch Lady Acland into Agnes which was finally wrecked in the Caribbean in 1955.

10. When the railway reached Bude the canal, as opposed to the harbour, ceased to be used commercially. Below thefirst loek, it then became popular for rowing boats, canoes and coarse fis hing. This still is the situation during the summer months when Bruce Sampson finds numerous customers for his boats. This picture was taken in the 1920s but, except for the trees, might have been taken today. The decline in the num ber of trees along and near the verges of the canal is a sad fact of life. It is not all the fault of man as, during recent years, disease has killed many fine elms, Some dumps of willows have been planted but much more needs to be done to return the canal to its fermer beauty.

11. This photograph of Breakwater Raad, which runs alongside the canal between Falcon Bridge (farmer swing-bridge) and the sea-lock, was taken about 1910 when shipping was still plentiful. The cottages on the Ieft, original1y known as Canal Terrace cottages, were built in the 1830s for canal workers. Sa on, many of them were taken over by sea-eaptains and named after the ships they sailed. Same of these names survive - Jessamine and Hazel, for example - and many of the cottages retain a great deal of their old world charrn, The first four cottages at the landward end were converred into a boarding house in the 1920s but this did not survive. Alterations elsewhere have been in keeping with the surroundings.

12. The eanal and swing-bridge are here seen from the tow-path, a short distanee above the bridge. Major alterations to the Falcon Hotel had been eompleted and it looks mueh as it does today exeept for the design and shape of the cars. There is a ketch in the lower wharf; and if you look through the bars of the bridge you ean see the Old Forge where horses were shoed which towed barges up the canal and brought sand from the beach - the Old Forge is now a small museum, Bude Folk and Historical Exhibition. This photograph was probably taken in 1923 just before the swing-bridge was replaced by a permanent structure which made the upper canal finally inaccessible to shipping.

--' ""-

------- "

13. This photograph, probably taken in 1905, shows Captain Frederick Martin, of Bude, being presented with a clock and barometer by two Boscastle fishermen whom he rescued after they had been blown out to sea in a storm. Captain Martin also knew what it meant to be rescued. He was master of Hawk, an elegant little ketch, when she was wrecked below Maer Cliff in August 1897 when leaving Bude with a load of serap-iren destined for Swansea; and of President Garfield which came to grief while entering the haven in March 1906. The last named was launched as a schooner in 1881 but later changed to ketch rigging better suited to this coast.

14. Ceres is seen rounding Barrel Rock at the end of the breakwater, always a tricky manoeuvre for a sailing ship when a heavy sea was running. Ceres, the best loved of all Bude ketches, was built at Salcombe in Devon in 1811 and saw service on the coast of Spain during the Peninsular War. She came to Bude in 1826 and was bought by Henry Petherick in 1852. She remained with this well-known Bude family for four generations and traded in and out of the haven until1936 when she sprang a leak and sank in the Bristol Channel, her crew being rescued by the Appledore Iifeboat, She had been for many years the oldest ship on the British register. No member of her many crews was ever lost at sea.

15. This photograph of Ceres under fuil sail was taken in 1912 and shows her entering the ca1m water under the lee of the breakwater. She carries the typical rig of a ketch, the final development of British wooden merchant sailing vessels - 'the last development of the wooden sailing ships which had been one of western rnan's principal tools in gaining ascendancy over most of the rest of the world,' according to W.J. Slade and Basil Greenhill in West Country Coasting Ketches (Conway Maritime Press, 1974). Ceres is being met by the hobblers in their open rowing boat. It was rare for a ship under sail to enter the haven without them. They acted as pilot and took ropes from the vessel, making them fast to posts along the channel. It was a vital service.

16. This picture of Ceres, taken on a calm sumrner day in 1920, shows her rounding the breakwater under the power of her own engine. When she first came to Bude, Ceres was a single masted smack. She was lengthened in Stapleton's yard in 1868 and given the full ketch rigging; the auxiliary engine was fitted in 1912. This not only facilitated entry into port, it enabled her to stay close inshore during the First World War when enemy submarines threatened. Ceres was not only a local coaster. She sailed regularly to London, Liverpool, Ireland and various North Sea ports, even when over a hundred years old. She had many close calls during her long life but survived.

17. Two schooners in the harbour together were an uncommon sight as few were short enough to pass through the loek-gates. Schooners, moreover, were less easy to manoeuvre than ketches near this rocky coast. The ships in this photograph, taken about 1880, have not been identified with certainty but are thought to be Annie Davey, a Bude vessel, and Crystal Spring (see no. 21). An earlier Bude schooner, Elizabeth Scown, with Captain Sluggett as master, was wrecked on the rocks of the breakwater in 1877 when carrying stone for enlargement of St. Michael's Church. The lifeboat capsized when attempting arescue and her coxswain, James Maynard, was drowned. He was the only casualty and the only man not wearing the regulation corkjacket of the period.

18. This photograph, taken in the late 1880s, shows the crew of Ant with her master, Captain Hines. This ketch, originally built as a smack, had an adventurous life. She first struck the breakwater in 1868 and was fina1ly sunk off Trevose Head after colliding with a Padstow schooner in July 1897. Her most alarming misadventure oceurred during the blizzard of 1891 (see no. 44) when she was bringing eoal from Pembrokeshire to Bude. Blown right off course and hopelessly disabled, she was sighted by a clipper more than 200 miles beyond the Isles of Scilly. The cabin boy had died of exposure. Master and mate were exhausted, frost-bitten and huddled in the folds of a sail. They were transferred to the clipper, andAnt was sailed to Plymouth.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek