Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Rennie Bere and Roy Thorn
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cornwall
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3094-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

~- . --~-.-

19. The disasters described with the last picture were not the only ones suffered by Ant, and she is seen here in 1890 shortly before being stranded on the Bude sands - this happened to her four times. Two years earlier Alford and Elizabeth, both Bude ketches, had been stranded together on Summerleaze Beach. Alford was finally lost off the Netherlands. Elizabeth, built at Salcombe in 1838, was eventually wrecked on the Summerleaze c1iffs in 1912 while bringing coal from Wales. Today her mast stands on Summerleaze Down as a flagstaff which is dressed overall on special occasions.

20. The first steamer to be wrecked or stranded at Bude was the small Cardiff collier, Llandaff, which was driven on to the breakwater in 1899. She had a remarkable escape for she ended up with her bow in the air above the end of Sir Thomas' Pit in which she left most of her cargo - surreptitously collected by local residents. She was refloated from this strange situation and returned to Cardiff. Several other steamers came to grief during the early decades of this century, one of the worst spots being Northcott Mouth, about a mile north of the haven: the London collier Woodbridge in 1915, her crew of thirty-three being rescued by breeches-buoy;Belem frorn Gibraltar in 1917 and the Falmouth tugArwenack in 1920.

21. The schooner Crystal Spring (see no. 17) traded regularly with Bude, In August 1904, while bringing a cargo into the haven in a northerly gale, she was driven on to the rocks below Summerleaze Down. As she was breaking up her master, Captain Malloy, and mate were rescued by the roeket and breeches-buoy apparatus in the presence of a large crowd of visitors and residents. Four years earlier, two even larger sailing ships had been wrecked: the Neapolitan barque Concezione, carrying pit-props to Swansea, was battered to pieces on the Widemouth rocks; and the Austrian barque, Capricorno, carrying coal from Cardiff to the Adriatic, was driven on to the rocks near the breakwater. Only two of her crew of fourteen were saved,

22. This photograph of the Lifeboat House, just above Falcon Bridge, was taken about 1890 and shows the crew outside the building which was presented to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution in 1865 in memory of Elizabeth Moore Garden, wife of Robert Theolophilus Garden, by their surviving children - the land was given by Sir Thomas Acland. It remained in use until 1924 when the lifeboat was withdrawn from Bude. For sorne years the building was unused. It then became a store for alocal transport company and inevitably something of an eyesore, It has subsequently been converted, with a minimum of external alteration, for human occupation, its origins being remembered by the carved inscription above the entrance.

23. The Garden family, which had no direct conneetion with Bude, not only gave the town its Lifeboat House but provided three successive boats. Appropriately these were named Elizabeth Moore Garden I, IJ and lIl, the last two being launched in 1886 and 1911 respectively. This photograph shows the third of these boats being launched into the canal soon after her arrival at the haven. Harry Barrett, the coxswain, is at the helm. A good crowd of residents and visitors, in their panama hats and 'straw boaters', admire his skill,

24. This unusual photograph shows Elizabeth Moore Garden 11 entering the sea-lock in the summer of 1904. We do not know the occasion but the ca1m sea and relaxed crowd suggest an exercise rather than a genuine rescue, though the picture was taken about the time of the Crystal Spring disaster. The canal did not prove a satisfactory means of getting the lifeboat out to sea or back again. Passage through the loek depends entirely on the state of the tides - only when the tide is moderately high can ships or even lifeboats pass in or out - and it inevitably takes time.

25. lf the cana1 could not be used, the only means of getting the lifeboat into the sea was to take her across the canal by the swing-bridge, round the Crescent and along the Strand whence the sands of Summerleaze Beach and the sea were accessible, whatever the state of the tide. Even this taak time. This photograph, taken about 1910, shows the launching-carriage with Elizabeth Moore Garden II being towed along the Strand by a team of harses, led by the town band and escorted by police and a smal! crowd. The crew rides in state with oars aloft. The ceremony suggests that na ketch was breaking up on the rocks or floundering in the bay but that a demonstration was being given.

26. This photograph shows the lifeboat going to the rescue of the ketch Alford in 1908. The team of horses had to take the Iaunching-carriage into water deep enough for the boat to float - stern first to avoid damage to the rudder. Once afloat, the crew took over with their oars. Fortunately the lifeboat was not the only means of saving life. First a 'Life Mortar', then a roeket with breeches-buoy apparatus were installed at Bude and housed in the little building, now a dwelling, near the end of Breakwater Road. As soon as a line had been shot across a rock-bound or stranded vesse1, there was a link with the land; crew members could be brought ashore or a rescue party put on board.

27. This photograph shows the lifeboat crew of 1924, the last to serve befare the boat was withdrawn because of the small amount of shipping using the harbour and the improved margin of safety resulting from auxiliary engines. The names, from left to right, are (standing): G. Rowe, Coxswain Harry Barrett, G. Darch, G. Johnson, C. Thorn, G. Abbott, H. Marshall and H. Bate; (seated): H. Batten (partly obscured), G. Sangwin, A. Jewell, G. Marshall and H. Stapleton. The baat is in the canal; the crew-men, all volunteers, are correctly dressed in their cork life-jackets the absence of which had once cost Coxswain Maynard his life (see no. 17). These men are the predecessors of those who man the rescue services today,

28. This photograph of Summerleaze Beach from the edge of the down was taken about 1925. Beach Tea Rooms had rep1aced the earlier Coronation Tea Rooms, but Munster Cottage and Penrock had not been built, nor had the concrete wall where the nearest row of tents stands in this picture. There was no car park, and the dunes were quite extensive. The tents and mobile huts did little damage to the natural environment. Most of the dunes have now gone - though welcome attempts are being made to proteet what is left - and the beach is more stony than it used to beo Efford Down House still privately owned, the Roeket House and Breakwater Road cottages can be seen beyond the canal; and there are more trees than we find today. The Castle (see no. SI) is in the top left hand corner of the picture.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek