Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Rennie Bere and Roy Thorn
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cornwall
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3094-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Now known as Crooklets, Maer Ladies Bathing Beach had been used exclusively by ladies from an early date - to avoid the prying eyes of searnen, no doubt, though the sexes were segregated at many resorts, Faoilities were provided by the Morris and Penfound families. This photograph (from 1904) shows the beach in its unaltered condition. It is now backed by a sea-wall and equipped with permanent bathing cabins and other facilities including the important and most necessary headquarters of that admirable organization Bude Surf Life Saving Club. One result of these developments, which have disturbed the natural flow of sand, is that there are more stones on the beach.

47130. BUDE: MAER LAKE BATHING BEACH.

30. This photograph covers part of the same ground as no. 29 but was taken some ten years later looking back across the area now built over or occupied by a large car park. The beach was no longer reserved for ladies only, Mixed bathing has at last been accepted, though the clothing of both sexes seems totally incongruous for a summer day on the beach. You might say the same, however, of the near nakedness of today when a cold wind is blowing off the sea. In the background are six substantial private residences one of which is now Penarvor Hotel, formerly the home of Sir George Croydon Marks, Liberal M.P. for North Cornwall. These buildings have remained relatively unchanged in appearance; the main developments in this area have beenjust outside this view.

r

31. Until the coming of the railway in 1898, the horse-drawn coach was the main land-link between Bude, Stratton and the rest of England. There were at least four operators in the town - Brendon, Cobbledick, Pridham and Blatchford - and they gave good service in most directions: to Okehampton and Exeter, Barnstapie, Boscastle, Tintagel, Launceston and Plymouth. And the coaches bore brave names such as 'Defiance' and 'Flying Dutchman', This photograph, which was taken after 1894 when the parish hall (visible in the background) was built, shows coaches outside the oid post office and Bray's chemist and stationary business-sites now occupied by the National Westminster Bank and Boots. Also visible are the Norfolk Hotel which has recently c1osed, and the oid Blanchminster boarding house, now Barciay's Bank.

32. This photograph of coaches outside the Falcon Hotel must have been taken at about the same time as the last one. The stage coach called at the Falcon as well as the post office, and would go straight to Efford Down House before making any official stops if Arthur Mills had anyone coming to stay; this was the regular custom, so we have been told. There were those who thought that the railway spoilt the last miles of the journey to Bude as there was a real thrill about the coach drive with the first smell of the sea and the first sight of the Storm Tower from the high ground on the Holsworthy side of Stratton. You can still get the same view from your car, but not the same smell, if you aren't in too mueh of a hurry.

33. As soon as the London and South Western Railway reached Holsworthy in 1888, alocal committee (Holsworthy and Bude Railway Company) was formed, and two years later the first sod was cut by the wife of Canon Thynne of Kilkhampton. The original date for completion of the scheme was October 1891. But there were complications. The route was altered, and Stratton lost its promised station. lt was August 1898 before the job was done. Directors arrived fromExeter in a special train and drove in open carriages through triumphal arches in the town - 'Progress' and 'Success Railway' notices appeared. A banquet was held, toasts were given and Bude Band played. Most Beautiful Bude, the Gem of the West/ Thy lovely surroundings all make for the Best.

34. Bude was a terminus of what became in 1923 the Southem Railway. 1t boasted a bookstall, a goods station and even a shunting yard in which this engine and the station staff were photographed in 1905. You could reach Bude from Waterloo without changing. There were Bude carriages in the front of the train at the end of the long platform. A fine main-line engine took you to Exeter. You were then shunted on to a side-line and proceeded ever more slowly to Okehampton, Halwill Junction where more carriages were dropped, and eventually Bude, If you were lucky enough to secure a cornerseat the journey could be extraordinarily pleasant. 1t was a sad day when the railway was cut off less than seventy years after the opening banquet. Bungalows now adorn the station site.

35. This view of Stratton, taken in 1913 from Howell's Bridge, now the main road bridge, shows how the little market town clusters round the ancient church of St. Andrew - 'tall Stratton tower' watching over the community is how the Reverend R.S. Hawker described it. ├╗wing to its position on a hill-top the church is difficult to see entire. Parts of it date from the 14th century when the crusader Sir Ranulph Blanchminster expressed a wish to be buried in the aisle, His effigy is preserved in the church; there is also arme brass (1561) of Sir John Arundell and his two wives. Both these families had owned the manor of Efford, which included much of modern Bude, in ancient times.

::"--..:F - .-

- -

36. This much earlier photograph of Stratton was taken in the 1880s; again the tall church tower forms the background. The couple in the foreground are Mr. and Mrs. DeU about whom nothing seems now to be known. They are standing in front of a group of buildings which include The New Inn. It seems to have been unoccupied, and the exposed hearth suggests that some demolition had already taken place. The rest of these buildings were cleared away shortly afterwards, the space being given the name of Jubilee Square in 1887. Stratton's St. Andrew's Fair was customarily held on this site.

37. This photograph, looking down Fore Street, Stratton, shows the entrance to The Tree Inn and, on the left, an old building now demolished. It was taken befare 1914 as the cart-track in the road is clearly visible. The Tree Inn, now a weil appointed hostelry, had been the local manor house - not occupied by the lord but by his factor or some other retainer. Best known among them was the 17th century giant, Anthony Payne, who served the Grenvilles during the Civil War and attended upon the gallant Sir Bevil at the Battle of Stamford Hill (in Stratton) in May 1643. Stratton was the seat of justice for a wide area - the Stratton magistrates still function but their beneh now sits in Bude. Bath Leet and Baron Courts were held annual1y in The Tree Inn until the 1900s.

38. This picture of a party of Stratton children setting off on their annual Sunday School outing was taken in 1914. It is very typical of the sort of excursion that was arranged for children at this and in earlier times. George Sangwin is holding the leading horse with Canon Leslie Jones, vicar of Stratton, alongside the waggon - he does not seem to be accompanying his flock. There still are Sangwins in the area. The daughter of Canon Jones married Spencer Howlett, a well-known Bude resident, sometime chairman of the local branch of the Old Cornwall Society and a Cornish bard.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek