Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Rennie Bere and Roy Thorn
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cornwall
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3094-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This picture of a donkey and trap, carrying two unnarned ladies, was taken about 1912 in a part of Stratton known as Sanctuary - donkeys were not used extensively in this way though this animal seems ready enough for its task. Before the Reformation, this area was part of the Manor of Sanctuary held by the Augustinian monks of Launceston Priory. At the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century most of the manor was annexed to the Duchy of Cornwall. An interesting result of this is that Prince Charles, Duke of Cornwall, remains to this day patron of the living of St. Andrew's Church, Stratton.

~::--~ - -:== ~- , .--.....--.-=

---

....... _0 .

:i:~~á·,,"~ JJ~ .., 11 ll'

:~

.... ::::-:" -: "";'

, , .1

'::;!:::r L rr B

'-

40. It is probable that this photograph of a group of Stratton worthies, craftsmen and traders, was taken in 1887 - they are natural successors to the 'Eight Men of Stratton' who managed the affairs of the town in mediaeval and Tudor times. They are outside The New lnn (see no. 36) which is plastered with notices each one of which tel1s its own story. From left to right the worthies are: (back row) William Pickard, farmer and agent of the Grenville estate; William Rathenbury, watchmaker; Nichelas Saunders, cordwainer (shoemaker) and superintendant registrar; William Maynard, carpenter; William Yeo, cordwainer; J.R. Edgcombe, ironmonger, plumber and master of a scratch pack of foxhounds; (front row) Thomas Woodley, blacksmith later grocer; William Moyse, barber and preeentor of the Wesleyan chapel; Peter Bray, auctioneer and printer; John Hearn, labourer; and James Peardon who had served at Waterloo as a drummer boy.

41. This picture, taken in 1886 or 1887, shows Nichelas Saunders (bom 1822 and one of the worthies in the last photograph) surrounded by some of his children, grandchildren and workmen. They are (from left to right): Bert Saunders, Alfred Saunders, Lydia Saunders and her children (Madge, Frank and Ethel), Ellen Brown, Charles Saunders, Fanny Lark and Mary Jane, the wife of Nicholas. By the workshops are Bill Penfound, Robert Govier and John Hoare with Charles Yeo on the steps. The boot and shoe shop was part of Marshall's Cottage. The workshop was converted into Lilac Cottage in 1903 and still stands. The business flourished. Saunders Footwear Limited now has branches in Newquay, Padstow, Wadebridge, Perranporth, Holsworthy and Bude. But there is no longer a shop in Stratton.

42. This is another interesting group of Stratton folk, dating from the same period, and was taken near Howell's Bridge. The King's Arms Hotel, which still serves the public, is just visible in the background. Nicholas Treleaven, wheelwright, is on the right in front of his prernises. Reuben Cory, wearing a leather apron, stands before the door while the more distant figure is WiIIiam Moyse, barber, known by the unusual nickname of 'Lady Harriett', The vehicle on the left is a typical Cornish wain, universally used for bringing in the harvests whether of com or hay. Tools were made and born were hands.] As every farmer understands. (WilIiam Blake.)

"" »>

. .;

43. These school children were photographed early in the present century, standing beside the River Neet in Stratton. The buildings were known as Leat Cottages, a name which derived from the leat which served Howard's Mill and possibly also the old tannery, seen in the background but long since demolished. Tanning was once a thriving business, based on the bark of oak trees from woods in the area; bark was also exported to lreland by sea, Some of these old oak woods still stand but in the largest of them, the Swannacott Woods near Week St. Mary, most of the oaks have been uprooted to make room for alien conifers - an unfortunate but probably necessary change in commercial terms.

.... ~'

44. The blizzard of 1891, when this photograph was taken, has passed into the folklore of the West but may have been no worse than that of 1978. One story has already been told (see no. 18). Ceres fared better than Ant. She was caught in the great gale when sailing from Padstow to Plymouth with a cargo of slates but rounded Land's End safely. The Iittle ketch Francis Beddoe, which of ten visited the haven, was carrying slate from Gloucester to Bideford but was blown right down the coast to St. Ives; the only crew member still functioning was her master, Captain Slade. The damage inland does not seem to have been recorded but there was plenty of snow for these people to clear up at the bottom of Landsdown Road, opposite the old 'water shute'.

45. This photograph shows the top of Belle Vue, now Bude's main shopping street, at the beginning of the 1880s. The left hand building was Springfield Cottage, one section of which was the home of Monty Thorn, carriage proprietor. The thatched house was occupied by a butcher named Tucker while the slated building stood at the end of Othello Terrace, a development which preceded the canal. When the terrace was demolished, some years after this photograph was taken, Dr. Arthur King built Grosvenor House on the site; and this, in turn, has become shops with flats above, There were many developments in this neighbourhood before 1930 including the premises of Spencer Thorn and N.T. Keat, both established before the end of the last century, and the main post office which opened in 1924.

46. This photograph of the Strand was taken in 1882 from roughly the position now occupied by Lloyds Bank. Immediately opposite is the original Globe Hotel where on 25th August 1886, Roy Thorn's grandmother booked in two holiday-makers for one night and breakfast, thereby inaugurating the 'bed and breakfast' business. The adjoining buildings, then known as Tapson's Terrace, were described as 'lodging houses for the quality'. Further along the road was Angove House, occupied by a general merchant called Avery, and the premises of Gurney and Craven, solicitors. Angove House, now a shopping arcade called Julia's Place, has also been Sam Edwards' garage and a bus centre. The Carrier's Inn, originally a farm, was being run by the Cobbledick family when this photograph was taken. Beyend it are warehouses.

47. This is a later picture of the Strand, taken in 1914, when it was beginning to look much more modern with the reconstructed Globe Hotel, Medland's (ladies' outfitter) and Loven's (wine merchant) both with sun-blinds as wen as Gurney and Craven, solicitors who also serviced the urban district council. In the centre of the picture you can see Granville Tea Rooms, formerly the old Bude Hotel, on the site where Lloyds Bank was established in 1923. The Grenville Hotel had recently been opened, its bulk somewhat incompatible in scale with other buildings in Bude. The Summerleaze Crescent houses stand out along the skyline.

._; ?????.??? ,; ?. ~':'~« .c

48. The name Blanchminster Square has vanished from the map of Bude to be replaced by Shute Triang1e. The change is unfortunate. The o!d name has a very ancient link with the area (see no. 35) and is commemorated by the Blanchminster Charity which was founded in the 15th century and which still functions distributing funds to the needy, providing educationa1 grants and doing other good works, The Charity owns property in this neighbourhood and in Lansdown Road up which the rnotor-cyclist in this picture is proceeding. A turning off Lansdown Road leads to King Street, built in the 1840s on a site former1y known as Popy's P1ace - another property of the Charity. This photograph, taken in 1921, shows the Centra! Methodist Church complex and the Drill Hall, originally a chapel. Wonnacott's Dairy (see no. 58) is at the extreme left.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek