Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Rennie Bere and Roy Thorn
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cornwall
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3094-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. This photograph gives a rernarkably good impression of Bude as it was in 1904. On the left is BeImont House, now the International Stores, and then the houses, business premises and shops on the east side of Belle Vue which must then have deserved its name; in the distance are the King Street houses, then known as Tiger Bay, where many local seafaring men once lived. Some of the central group of buildings still stand but the houses known as Marine Terrace have been demolished. Beyond are the Strand buildings with, across the bridge, the Methodist church and the saltings of the River Neet now occupied by tennis courts, bowling green and squash courts. Much of the open ground is now dominated by the Grenville Hotel.

50. The Old Bude Bridge is better known as Nanny Moore's after a well-known 19th century 'dipper' who lived in the cottage. Leven Cottage is of considerable antiquity, and one wall includes a granite block inscribed 'AJA 1589' for 'Anne and John Arundell'. lt was originally Efford Mill which was worked by the run of the tide. The cottage was Cobbledick's bakery when this photograph was taken about 1910; it then became Ash's and, during the 1930s, Parsons Brothers so that continuity with the past and with the milling and baking trades is unbroken. The Castle, Storm Tower and the cottages which overlook the harbour can be seen in the background as weil as the breakwater and ships waiting for the tide.

51. This photograph of croquet on The Cast1e lawn was taken about 1890. The house, which is now owned and used as offices by the local authority, was built by the eminent Victorian engineer and inventor, Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, who designed a'steam coach' which ran from London to Bath and back before the coming of the railways. The Castle, Gurney's first Cornish home, was erected on a sand-dune site leased from Sir Thomas Acland in the 1830s. It remained in private hands until the Second World War. The Cast1e occupies a very central position in Bude; it provides not only offices but a seat for the Stratton magistrates and accommodation for the loeal branch of the county library. Numerous public functions take place in the grounds.

52. The church of St. Michael and All Angels, Bude Haven, was built by Sir Thomas Acland in 1835 as a chapel-of-ease served from Stratton, becoming an independent parish church twelve years later. Though basically simple in structure it was extended on more than one occasion and refurbished to provide an essentially satisfying interior. Among vicars during the fifty years between 1880 and 1930 were the Reverend Barton Mills, grandson of the church's founder, and Doctor Edmund Burr, who revived the ancient ceremony of 'blessing the sea'. In 1921, the advowson was given to the Diocesan Board so assuring that the people ofthe parish would have a proper say in the appointment of their vicar. This is by no means always the case.

53. Efford Cottage, which lies just outside the sea-lock, was built by Sir Thomas Ac1and in the 1820s on the site of an old cottage where fishermen used to salt their fish; this was incorporated into the building. At the same time he built the two cottages next door. Hereabouts there was also an old lime kiln all traces of which have disappeared. Used mainly as a summer residence by relatives and friends of the owners, Efford Cottage remained in the Ac1and family until the 1940s. It was very little changed during those years though a garage, unobtrusively cut into the hillside, was added during the 1920s. For a time it was known locally as Ivy Cottage.

54. Ebbingford, once a manor house of the Arundells of Trerice, was given to the parish of Bude Haven by Sir Thomas Acland to serve as a vicarage - it was a vicarage when this photograph was taken in the early 1900s. It was sold in the 1950s when the vicar moved to Falcon Terrace, less irnposing but more practical. Ebbingford then became the home of the late Sir Dudley Stamp, the geographer. The house has a long history. In 1413 it was licensed as an oratory so that mass could be said in the domestic chapel. And in May 1643, on the eve of the Battle of Stamford Hill in which they were victorious, the commanders of the Royalist Cornish Army held there a 'councell of warr'.

55. This photograph, taken from below the Summerleaze cliffs in the 1880s, shows Efford Cottage with a much lower sea-wall than we see today, the sea-lock, East and West Cottages and the imposing Efford Down House in the background. The latter, built in 1848, was the home of Arthur Mills, M.P. for Exeter in the 1880s and for many years a leading figure in the Bude community. Following the death of his son, Barton the former vicar, in 1932 Efford Down became a hotel; enlargement and a1terations did not change the character of the building. East and West Cottages were used at different times as additional accommodation for Efford Cottage, by Efford Down staff and by coastguards before becoming private hornes in the 1890s. The first building to be put up beside the road to the left of East Cottage was the Roeket House; other houses fol1owed in the 1920s.

?

56. This photograph of the staff of Messrs Hockin, Banbury & Company, agricultural and general merchants, was probably taken shortly befare 1923 when the business was taken over by J.W. Fulford & Sans of Bideford. In the centre of the group is the chairman, Mr. G.W.W. Banbury, who was also Lloyds agent in the area; his sans, Garfield and Ralph, sit on either side of him. Bath office and yard staff are included in the group. The business had been set up in Bude by John Hockin early in the 19th century and was continued by him in partnership with Henry Hooper. In 1881 J.W. Banbury came in first as managing director and later as partner. The business expanded and diversified to include coal, wool buying and eventually timber and other requirements of the building trade.

57. Taken at the Stratton Agricultural Show in 1927 or 1928, this photograph shows George Brendon and Alfred Petherick admiring a fine bull. At this period the Brendon family (former holders of the Poughill manor) owned the Falcon Hotel and leased Efford Farm; George Brendon hirnself had continued to operate a horse-drawn coach service until 1910 - believed to be last such service in the country. Alfred Petherick was head of the long established and still active family firm of corn and coal merchants with wharehouses on the wharfs and coastal vessels including Ceres. He was for some years an active chairman of Bude-Stratton Urban District Council.

58. Annie Heard is seen driving Wonnacott's milk-cart along Vicarage Road in about 1916. The smart trotting pony, the polished urns from which milk was delivered straight into customers' own jugs, and the butter-yellow cart with black lettering were familiar sights. And the service was as immacu1ate as the equipment. Wonnacotts still farm at Rodd's Bridge, alongside the first loek on the upper canal, but are no longer active dairymen, The mixed farm helps to supply their thriving 'wholefood' and fresh produce business near the top of Lansdown Road; the older shop at the other end of the same raad, where the dairy was situated in the early years of this century (see no. 48), was closed in 1984.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek