Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Rennie Bere and Roy Thorn
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cornwall
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3094-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Bude and Stratton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The opening of a public sewer may seem a strange subject for a picture postcard but this one was popular locally when it was produced in 1909. And those of us who are old enough to remernber those dreadful earth closets in the garden can see the point. The new system which pumped, and still pumps, untreated sewage into the sea is now in the process of being replaced. The ceremony was held at a trap-door on the Efford Downs with the Storm Tower in the background. The door allows access to the beach and outf1ow system by means of a long ladder and a mysterious spiral staircase which winds down into the bowels of the earth. No one now knows who officiated. lt was not General Sir Redvers Buller as is commonly supposed, though he had opened a new water-supply a few years earlier.

60. Fairs have been part of the English tradition for centuries, the Stratton fair being first allowed by a charter of King John in 1207. As Bude grew in the 19th century, the fairs were switched away from Stratton (see no. 36), one being held at Whitsuntide and another at Michaelmas. But the first thing that strikes you about this picture of Fair Day at Bude in 1910 is that parking problems are not new. The Strand is filled with all manner of horse-drawn vehicles. This photograph also shows a stage in that street's development slightly earlier than no. 47. The two hard-hatted worthies in the foreground are Job Hockaday, retired manager of Delabole slate quarry who lived to be a centenarian and Bude's oldest inhabitant, and Samuel Banbury, farmer and stock-breeder.

:tJ.i t i t;:' ,.lm

61. BudeBand was established in 1883 as part of a unit of volunteers attached to the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. This photograph was taken some fifteen or twenty years later in front of the Seamen's Mission which eventually became headquarters of the Bude Boy Scouts - the band, entirely independent of the DCLI, now has its own Band Hall beside the canal. The bandmaster in this photograph was Mr. Hancock, a local tailor, and he can be seen with his baton sitting immediately to the left of the big drum. Not all the bandsmen can be identified but they include (standing) E. Legg and G. Loek, among the clarinet players, C. Thorn with his cornet, third from the right, (sitting) Mr. Yeo and Mr. Cann with, extreme right, George Abbot.

62. The coronation of King George V in 1911 was widely celebrated with parades, church services, banquets and bonfires. In this photograph the Bude Band is seen leading a unit of the Vo1unteers across the swing-bridge towards St. Michael's Church. Prominent in the background are (far right) Rosevear Villas, now flats, and Bencoolen House, now a licensed restaurant. The house was named after the barque Beneooien which was wrecked in 1863 with the loss of twenty-four lives. It was built by Oliver Davey, merchant and owner of the schooner Annie Davey (see no. 17), who is believed to have included in the roof timbers from the wrecked barque. An old stabie at the back of the building was once part of Call's Farm.

63. This posteard shows the Bude War Memorial being unveiled on 11th November 1922, with a guard-of-honour of loeal Territorials, the viear (Dr. Burr) and a large erowd most of whom would have had relatives or friends among the 64 names on the monument which is topped by the toreh emblem of Talbot House, better known as Toe H. The names of 38 Seeond World War vietims were added later. The site is at the top of Shaldern Hill and lies between the Creseent and the Central Methodist Chureh. The memorial has been the eentre of every subsequent Armistiee or Remembranee Day parade as have similar monuments throughout Britain. Stratton and most of the surrounding villages have their own War Memorials.

64. This photograph of the cottage just above the beach at Northcott Mouth was taken just before the 1880s but is typical of many rural dwellings in the area until at least the first decade of the present century. There still is only one cottage on the site, but it is not easy to say how much if any of the old building has been retained. Outside the cottage are John and Mary Curtis who were succeeded by two generations of the Broek family. These people worked on the land and may have fished occasionally, though there are no signs of nets or lobster pots. They would certainly have collected edible seaweeds and wood from the beach; and flotsam from the sea must have provided useful pickings as the rocky coast a few yards from the cottage was a dangerous area for shipping.

65. This photograph of the old smithy at Marhamchurch was taken about 1920 when the local blacksmith and bis forge were still prominent in every village in the land. This small smithy and the thatched cottage beside it were demolished in 1926 when the last Marhamchurch blacksmith, S. Jeffrey, ceased to ply his trade. Very few true farrier's smithies now remain. One which does is the Old Forge on the wharf at Bude (see no. 12) but no farrier works in the building which is now the town museum. Although the forge is carefully preserved, the fire is represented by a light, and the various hammers, tongs and other tools are silent.

66. The church of St. Morwenna at Marhamchurch, with the War Memorial in the open space in front of it, was photographed in 1921. The church is old and includes some Norman masonry; the tower is low but weIl proportioned and makes an appropriate centre to the village. As are several other churches in the neighbourhood, it is decorated by the Royal Arms granted by King Charles II to certain parishes which had been loyal to his father and the Royalist cause during the Civil War. The most remarkable feature of the church, however, is a niche which leads from the aisle to an anchorite's cell built in 1404 for Cecilia Mays.

67. This photograph, taken in 1911, of Week St. Mary - once a borough in name but no more than a village in size - shows well the tall unbuttressed tower of 'Our Lady of Week' and a typical village shop and post office of the period. The place owes the tower to its most famous inhabitant, Thomasine Bonaventura, a young shepherd girl who guarded sheep on the commons during the 15th century. Thomasine was taken to London by a visiting wool merchant who later married her. She was twice widowed and eventually became the wife of Sir John Percyval who was elected Lord Mayor of London the following year, 1498. Soon widowed yet again and now a considerable heiress, she returned to Week and carried out many good works including the church tower and, just beyend the limits of this photograph, a foundation known as Old College, parts of which still exist in good condition thanks to careful restoration by the Landmark Trust.

68. This photograph of Launceils might have been taken at almost any time during the past hundred years but actuaily dates from 1930. It shows the church of St. Andrew, the fine old barton with its farm buildings and a countryside which is still farmed with a decent respect for tradition. It is and always has been a beautiful peacefuI pIace with mature trees as weil as ancient buildings and a mediaeval holy well, dedicated to St. Swithin, near the church. The church itself has beautyful carved bench-ends and 15th century tiles on the chancel floor where heraldic lions, Tudor roses and the pelican of Christian mythology can be identified.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek