Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frederic M. Avery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4629-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

9. This photograph was taken at Meeds potteries sixty years ago and shows a young potter at his wheel, making flower pots. The potter was paid by the casts of clay he could process - a cast being sufficient to make one 17 inch diameterflower pot (size 1) or seventy-two 21;4 inch diameter flower pots (size 72), with various numbers and sizes between. All the terra-cotta ware and flower pots were fired in kilns and to cope with the demand, several indoor kilns, in addition to three outdoor kilns, were in constant use. Working at the potteries must have been unpleasant, with long hours, na heating during winter months and only candIe or oillamps for lighting after sunset. Thousands of flower pots were sent to the tomato growers at Worthing and many were used at the local nurseries.

10. These magnificent terra-cotta plaques were made at William Meeds potteries for Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. They were made as samples, sa that c1ients could choose similar designs for their coat of arms, initials, surnames and dates to be incorporated in their newly built houses, These particular plaques were each made in three sections from 'piaster of Paris' moulds using 'liquid' c1ay. The original design was probably made in c1ay which was used to make the piaster mould so that many others could be reproduced from the piaster mould. Also, produced by this methad, were terra-cotta roof crestings and finials to enhance the appearance of gable ends, dormer windows, hips and ridges. One of the most elaborate finials ever made was that of a 'dragon or wyvern', a mythical scaly creature that cast ten times as much as a 'standard design' finial. Two of these dragons exist in Burgess Hill- one in Royal George Raad and the other on the roof of Hamptons in Church Raad. The latter was blown down last year in the severe storm during the early hours of 16th October, but it is hoped that it can be restored.

TUIOttAM$ MEEOS eURCESS HILL. TELEPHONE 0 47

W

anufaeturers of J?l.b ~ ~~

CHIMNEY-PO~S -;-WATER- prPEs+TERRA-COTTA-;-A D }B.ROWN - WARE POTTERY. _:.

11. Meeds potteries began on the site of earlier works in Pottery Lane (now Station Road) in 1848, three years after James Meeds came to Burgess Hili to live. His two sons, William and Frederick continued after his death and William carried on after Frederick had retired, and finally grandson James 'Ernest' Alfred Meeds took over the works. Known as St. John's Original Pottery, the works flourished until 1941 when 'black-out' restrictions forced them to close. The site remained derelict until1954 when Meeds Road was developed, soon after. This letter head was in existence after Frederick had retired and during the early 1900's. The quality of their products was so good that gold, silver, and bronze medals were frequently awarded, some of these are depicted in the letter head together with some of the products manufactured at the works.

12. The two shops in the foreground were once numbers one and two London Road and built more than 115 years ago. On the opposite corner of Station Road, once stood the building known as Commerce House, and Owen Dumbrill had a grocery store on the corner. The buildings were demolished last year and a new block of flats to be known as 'Gravett Court' is now being built. Originally, the land was where Gravert's potteries were located from 1853 to 1909 and previously owned by William Shaw, another potter and brickmaker. On the extreme left of the photograph was the original entrance to the Victoria Pleasure Gardens but the lane now leads to the industrial estate.

13. The first Church of England school founded in 1850 was built in London Raad on the southern corner of Station Raad. The schoolmasters house was built adjacent. In 1858 the school was enlarged and a new infants school was built in 1874. The first schoolteachers were MI. and Mrs. Breeds who were followed by MI. and Mrs. Beale, In 1864 there were about eighty boys and fifty girls in attendance. Mrs. Beale retired in 1908 and Mr. F.C. Baylis took over as headmaster, fOT eighteen years. Many years ago, the school lost its church appearanee when the outer walls were rebuilt in red brick, but the original interior and roof beams are still to be seen. On 12th July 1986 the last school fete was held and this year the school is scheduled for demolition. A new school London-Meed has been built in the grounds of Oakmeed's Comprehensive School, and was opened in the summer of 1987.

14. Hammonds Place dates back to about the year 1500 but the wing in the foreground was completed in 1566. About 1600 part of the building was destroyed by fire. The beautifully preserved farmhouse is built of local brick and is half-timbered along its north elevation as seen in the photograph. Built by Edward Michelbome, whose coat of arms appears above the entrance porch, the house still stands today just off the busy London Road, on the southern boundary of the town. Edward Michelborne had a son Edward who was knighted in the reign of James I and granted a licence to discover and trade with countries in the east, including China and Japan. The name 'Hammonds' probably derived from a William Hammond, of whom documentary evidence has recently been found. One of the few Grade II Iisted buildings in the town, this is a fine example of Tudor architecture that must be preserved for the future, in its natural rural setting.

15. Dene Hollow in London Road became the first grammar school for the deaf in the British Isles. It was established in 1916 by Mary Hare as a private co-educational secondary school with residential accommodation for forty boarders. The school had its own tennis courts, playing fjelds, outdoor swimming pool, orchards and vegetable gardens. The curriculum included domestic science , carpentry, physical training, dancing, cricket, tennis, lacrosse, football and swimming. The Principal, Mary Hare (who died in 1945) was assisted by fully qualified teachers of the de af and the school had its own Medical and Dental Officers, Resident Nurses and Specialists. In 1949, the school was relocated in Newbury, Berkshire where it still thrives and caters for deaf and dumb pupils. The premises in London Road later became a hotel but demolished in 1964. A bank was built on the site soon afterwards to cater for the nearby industrial estate.

16. The Mary Hare Grammar School for the Deaf catered for pupils aged between 11 and 19 years. This shows a typical class of new entrants, in this case held outdoors during the summer months, described as the 'Babies Class'. The photograph would have been taken about seventy years ago soon after the school was established. All pupils were required to take an entrance examination and had to be recommended by the Head Teachers of the schools which they were attending at the time. The school was conducted in a homely atrnosphere , and Mary Hare was outstanding in her untiring devotion to the cause of the school and her unceasing consideration for the welfare of her pupiIs. The Mary Hare school in Newbury, Berks. was recently featured on television when a group of young talented musicians (all deaf and dumb) played orchestral music in competition with other schools.

17. Burgess Hili was famous for its brick, tile and pottery making, and this scene was fairly typical of much of the town. William Norman of Chailey came into Burgess Hili, married Mary Avery, sister of Allen Avery, of Fowles Farm and established potteries along both sides of the London Road from 1812. The works gradually developed along London Road and Station Road (then Pottery Lane) on its northern side, eventually adjoining Meed's potteries. In the foreground are long narrow drying sheds and in the centre background is St. John's Parish Church. In addition to land drains, chimney pots, roof cappings and finials, several thousand flower pots and domestic table ware was produced each week. After the coming of the railway in 1841 and the building of Burgess Hili Station in 1843, products were distributed further afield to the newly developing seaside resorts of Brighton, Worthing and Eastbourne. By 1930 the site remained derelict; it was sold to the Burgess Hili Urban District Council and re-developed around Civic Way and Queen Elizabeth Avenue by 1978. The 30 acre site known as The Brow is stilI being developed, the most recent building being a Health Centre and Sheltered Housing scheme.

CLA YT√ĽN,

SUSSEX.

LAND;

OCCGI'YISG 81GH cwmiD. wrrn '"EIlT ElI."I1I:NlIIVE VIEWS "'l'IJl OOOD lIIONTAGIS. """D AB=G 0:< EX<ZLLE!<T m.uJ&... U

ST. JOH "S CO~IMON, CLAYTO

In tlle V"~ ol IM Borr- 11m Swloo, Oll tllo ~ oM ????? -,.. 1Ill1 ?????? tllo Loo4oll. ~ """ llriPla Tonqdb -.

MR.

J.

WOOD,

AT TBE FRIAR'S OAK 1

CLA YTON.

, I

2

Ilf TWDrt.PIVB LO'I'8.

<>IJ .....

18. When the C1ayton enelosure of land took place in 1855, twenty-five plots of land fronting London Road were sold as building sites. The sale took place on 6th November 1854 at the Friar's Oak Inn (between Burgess Hill and Hassocks) by auction. This enelosure of land eventually lead to the development of all roads in the area bounded by London Road, Royal George Road and West Street. The eastern side of London Road, in the parish of Keymer, was developed on a similar basis in 1828, and both enclosures, comprising the entire area of Burgess Hill, formed the nucleus of the town until1953. From this date onwards, rapid expansion took place on the old pottery site, on the pleasure gardens site, on the Burgess Hili Farm site and in many nurseries or large gardens available in many parts ofthe town.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek