Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frederic M. Avery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4629-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

19. The Boy Scout movement was founded by Lord Baden-Powell in 1908 and the following year, the first Burgess Hili Scout troup was formed. When this photograph was taken, permanent headquarters were being established at the rear ofthe Royal George public house. The building, hexagonal in shape, with a steep sloping roof, was formerly a 'pugmill' where day was mixed for brickmaking and dates back to about 1870. In 1983 the building, latterly used as a store, was vacated and in 1985 sold privately. Certain renovation work induding re-roofing has recently been completed and the building remains as the only surviving relic of the old brickworks. On the right of the photograph are 'Cubs', the junior section of the Scout movement, lining up for the opening ceremony of their new premises in 1930. The Scouts now have their headquarters in a recently constructed building off Station Road.

20. Fowles Farm has its origins in the thirteenth century when a Willmo Fughel was mentioned in the 1296 Subsidy Tax returns. The farmhouse which still stands today in Westhill Drive, was built in the late 16th century of locally made brick. It housed five generations of the Avery family from 1801 when Allen Avery married Sarah, the daughter of John Burton, who then owned the farm. The last member of the Avery family was bom there in 1912 and the following year the farm was sold. Just to the south of the farmhouse a larger building was erected by Thomas Avery Sr. during the 1860's, and this was subsequently known as Erin Manor and named by a later owner who came from Port Erin in the Isle of Man. The lands surrounding the farm once totalled 72 acres, but much of the land now comprises the large industrial estate which began to develop in 1954.

21. London Road looking north from the corner of Gloucester Road showing petrol filling stations on both sides of the road. The filling station on the right was built on the site of Dale's forge andjust beyond are the trees situated in St. John's Park. The park was bequeathed by Madame Emily Temple who left 61h acres to be used as a public park, and recreation ground. At this end ofthe park, an outdoor swimming pool was eompleted in 1935 and an indoor pool was completed in 1974 adjacent to the outdoor pool. The trees either side of London Road were provided by Mr. Henry Burt (of Norman and Burt) to eommemorate his chairmanship of the Urban District Council, after the turn ofthe century.

22. St. John's House was situated on the corner of Leylands Raad and London Raad. It was a substantial double fronted Victorian building, complete with stabie block and outbuildings, once approached from St. John's Avenue. The house had, over the years, been occupied by fairly wealthy families including Emily Temple and General Hall. Madame Temple gave the six-and-a-half acre field for use as a public park, erected St. John's Institute (now Park Centre) and built Villas in Church Road and Upper St. John's Road. St. John's House was demolished to make way for a small development of modern houses off Park Close.

23. The King's Head public house at the top of Fairplace Hili is one of the oldest in the town. It was once a stopping place for mail and stage coaches and the building shown dated back to the 1840's probably replacing or incorporating an older building, perhaps more than 200 years old. In the photograph are foxhounds and riders, probably of the Southdown Hunt, riding up to the forecourt before setting off for the foxhunt. Sometime during the 1930's the front elevation was completely rebuilt and the interior was altered, which at one time contained three different bars. This must have also been the venue for St. John's sheep fair when, at the end of a hard day's work, shepherds, farmers and auctieneer's alike, enjoyed a long cool drink, some to spend their profits. others to drown their sorrows.

Fair nlaée Hill, Burgess ? -H.

24. At the top of Fairplace Hili, opposite the King's Head public house, stands the former St. John's Common post office and probably the first shop in the town. Further aiong the road just behind the horse-carts, was the oid forge of the Miles family where three generations worked. The London Road was once the scene ofthe stage coach era from the early 19th century until the coming ofthe railway forty years later. By the early 1900's the horse-drawn coaches and Hansom Cabs were replaced by the motor driven char-à-banc and car. By 1950 many of the old forges and blacksmiths shops had disappeared and petrol filling stations had replaced them. Over the years the road has been considerably widened and the hil! to the right of the photograph was raised by about one or two metres, and houses on either side of the raad appear to have been built in a dip. A tumpike trust was set up in 1770 and a tol! couid be Ievied on its users, the money col!ected being used for the upkeep and repair of the road.

25. Two parish churches served the residents of Burgess Hill, that of Clayton at the foot of the South Downs and Keymer both at least two or tl1ree miles distant. It is probable that the earliest place of worship in the town was established at Chapel Land Farm, Fairplace HilI, where curious arched timber roof beams were exposed during recent renovations to the property, part of which dates back to the early 16th century or before. Just a few hundred yards to the south, at the top of Fairplace HilI offLeylands Road, this Congregational Chapel was erected in 1829 on land given by Thomas Packham the previous year. The Chapel known as St. John's Congregational was built by William Brooker of Fairplace Hill, the only builder then in the neighbourhood. In 1877, Mr. William Crick was appointed Pastor and for 38 years preached there, after coming to Burgess HilI from London's east end. He also had a general store on the corner of Fairfield and Royal George Roads which provided his family with a means of livelihood. He was buried in the chapel grounds in 1931 at the age of 87 years. The chapel was recently sold to the Pentecostal movement.

26. Sheddingdean Farm has its origins in the fourteenth century when a John and Ralph Shadyndenne were named in the local Poll Tax returns. In 1589 a Stephen Jynner was granted a licence to carry away iron ore dug by Henry Bowyer, an ironmaster , who built Cuckfield Park. The Jenner family were still owners in 1681 when the farm lands totalled about forty-three acres. After this time the farm was left to Nicholas Marchant, a cousin of Thomas Jenner, who was last in that family to own the farm. Thomas Jenner also owned two other nearby farms, Shelley's and Lyeland's, the latter being near to Sheddingdean, off Leylands Road. A few years ago the land to the north of Leylands Raad was extensively developed in various stages, and Sheddingdean farmhouse was allowed to fall into decay and was eventually dismantled in 1979 to allow new development to proceed soon afterwards.

27. There were several private schools, even beiare the turn of the century, in Burgess Hili and St. Peter's Court, Leylands Raad, became a remarkably good preparatory school for young gentlemen. The school started in Have about 1915 and about 1922 moved to the Highlands (formerly Holland House) in Leylands Raad with Mr. C. de Lyons Pyke as Headmaster. He retired in 1927 and was succeeded by the Reverend C. McDonald Hobley (father of television personality, McDonald Hobley who has recently died at the age of70 years), The school uniform was predominantly yellow with dark brown trim. For a period of six years the school was located at Abbotsford School, Cuckfield Road, and in 1971 was re-Iocated in Upper St. John's Road. The present school caters for young boys and girls and in 1985, there were 150 pupils attending St. Peter's pre-prep school.

28. Leylands farmhouse was situated on the northern side of Leylands Road, but was demolished some years ago to make way for a new housing development now known as Leylands Park. Although the original house probably dated back to the late 16th century, some Victorian outbuildings were added. Much of the original half-timbering was covered over with stucco, probably to improve its weathering qualities. The entire house was built of locally made brieks and tiles and was typical of one of more than twenty-five farmhouses that onee surrounded St. John's Common. Further to the west were 'Sheddingdean' farm and then 'Chapel Land' farm, the latter probably pre-dating most other houses in the area, having arched beams in the roofwhich are indicative of a very early chapel, perhaps the first to be built in Burgess Hill.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek