Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frederic M. Avery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4629-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

29. The World's Fair originated in 1895 and to make the event attractive to the general public, athletic sports, old-time cricket matches, donkey races, dances, swings and roundabouts were introduced. Held annually at World's End Park (now Jane's Lane recreation ground) it survived until about 1930 with a few breaks and revivals in between. The cricket matches were played with the participants wearing tall black hats, and umpires wearing gowns and white wigs. The World's Fair Committee are photographed at the World's End Park in 1904 and a similar photograph of the 1924 committee appears in 'The Story of Burgess Hili' by Albert H. Gregory, published by Charles Clarke in 1933.

30. North End or World's End was the name given to the area surrounding Wivelsfield railway station just to the left of the photograph, taken eighty years ago. In the foreground is Jane's Lane, probably named after a Mr. Jane's a builder, and Valebridge Road in the distance, named after Valebridge watermill about a mile further north. In the centre, the World's End Mission Room built in 1887 ean be seen, and still exists today as two shops. It was built at the expense of Mr. Somers Clarke - Lord of the Manor of Keymer, on land given by Mr. William Oram. It was used as a Sunday School, Reading Room and later a schoolroom long before its conversion to shops. The two houses at the end ofthe road next to the Mission Room, were also converted into shops, the left hand side being a greengrocer's and the right hand side a stationers , confectioners and tobacconist.

31. This is a view of the north eastern corner of Valebridge Raad at its junction with Jane's Lane, taken in the 1930's. In the foreground was Valebridge Garage and Stores with petrol pumps outside, and next door was a hardware shop and then the dairy. Most of the buildings constructed about sixty years ago still survive, although a larger and more modern garage was built just around the corner in Jane's Lane. Ta the left, the raad leads north to the eight arches and then on to Haywards Heath via Rocky Lane.

32. World's End, as this area became known after the railway was built in 1841, shows Wivelsfield Station just above the bridge. At the northern end of Burgess Hill, the area had its own public house 'The Watermill' part ofwhich can be seen on the extreme left, and shops selling most cernmodities. This photograph was taken about 1900 when the houses on the right, Beaconsfield Terrace, were not more than twenty years oid. The smal! crescent of grass in the foreground, although now paved over, still retains the crescent shape and is used as a seating area in front ofthe public house. Behind the photographer is the entrance to Jane's Lane reereatien ground which has two football pitches and apavilion and once had some tennis courts which no longer exist today.

Vivelsfield Junction, near Burgess Hili. Sussex.

33. This photograph taken about ninety years ago, ofWivelsfield or Keymer Junction looking south from the footbridge crossing St. Wilfrid's Road, shows in the foreground the old signal box which was demolished by 1913. The line to the right leads to Brighton passing through Burgess Hili, Hassocks and Preston Park and the branch line to the left leads to Lewes and Eastbourne. In the distance, on the Lewes line, once stood the signalman's cottage demo!ished same years ago, also the cast iron footbridge which was dismantled in Spring 1983. The cottages in the centre of the photograph were demolished in the spring of 1986 and the more modern Keymer Crossing signal box was demolished in the summer of 1983 following the installation of new continent al style crossing gates. The London-Brighton railway was completed in 1841 and the branch !ine to Lewes and Eastbourne was completed in 1847. The southern region was electrified in 1932 and completed the following year, although steam powered engines were in use until about thirty years ago.

34. This winter scene shows Keymer Crossing which existed in 1847 when the branch railway line to Eastboume was completed. The gates in this photograph were closed by hand, but later were operated by machinery housed in the signal box to the left. The signal box was erected about 1888 and in the same year the nearby station - Keymer Junction - after 24 years, was demolished and a new station built further to the north in 1886. In 1896, Keymer Junction station was renamed Wivelsfield Station because of the lang distance away from the Village of Keymer! Even Wivelsfield is some three miles distant, and not much closer than Keymer was in relation to the station. In June 1983 the signal box and foot-bridge were dismantled and the new continental style crossing gates are now remotely controlled from Three Bridges, fifteen miles away.

35. This large Victorian villa Avonhurst, was built in 1876 on the north side of Inholmes Park Road soon after it was constructed. The private road, off Junction Road later lead to Inholmes Mansion (the home of Sampson Copestake) by way of a bridge over the railway. Just before the bridge, the private roadway branched right to Marlborough House, the first vicarage of St. Andrew's Church. Avonhurst became the venue for a private boys school, started by Mr. Joseph Vinall in 1882, at Glenholm in Oakwood Road. The school flourished for twenty years at Avonhurst but was re-located in Station Road and run by Mr. Naesseth (Mr. Vinall's son-in-law). In 1980, the house was demolished, after the Margaret MacDowell school had been a home for (Down's Syndrome) young ladies for probably more than forty years. In 1982 a smal! development of detached houses was completed in the one acre garden of Avonhurst, the name by which the cul-de-sac is still known.

36. Inholmes Mansion was built by Sampson Copestake about 1885 on part of the land once forming Inholmes Farm. A specially constructed road leading to the mansion (Inholmes Park Road) branched off from Junction Road (formerly Cant's Lane) opposite the old forge just to the north ofWortley Cottages. Until1905 the mansion was Sampson Copestake's private residence but afterwards became a school run by the Reverend Gerald Tindal-Atkinson. The mansion was later occupied by Mr. Ince and then occupied by the manager of Keymer Brick and Tile Works. Sampson Copestake, a merchant banker, also built a schoolroom in Cant's Lane and Folder's Lane and provided substantial funds and the land (once Cant's Farm) to build St. Andrews Parish Church. Consecrated on 30th November 1908 (St. Andrew's Day) the church was finally completed after five years. The church replaced the original 'tin chapel' erected in 1899 and destroyed by fire in 1959.

37. Junction Road was formerly known as Cant's Lane, after the farm which was situated on the right, and to the far end of the photograph, taken about 1908. It was renamed Junction Road after the railway junction and branch line to Eastbourne was completed in 1847. The cottages on the left were built for the briekmakers and associated trades who worked opposite in the fields. They date from the mid-1860's whereas the large detached house on the right was built by Walter Samuel Nye, about 1904. Just bebind the cottages on the left, is the London-Brighton railway line completed in 1841 and where the last house ean be seen, on the left a pathway leads to Rose Cottages built in 1841 for the railway workers who carried out signalJing and maintenance work.

38. At the top of the hili in Junction Road looking north, in this photograph of about 1906, from Prospect Place, shows on the left Mr. Older's bakery and beyond a haberdashery store. Behind the tree on the left was a large detached mid- Victorian residence and then a private school. Further down the hiJl was the Manse where the Minister of the Congregational Church lived and adjacent was the Vicarage where the Vicar of St. Andrew's Church lived. On the right in the foreground was the imposing entrance to the Congregational Church built by Simeon Norman in 1882 and just beyond the telegraph pole is Oakwood Road which had an imposing entrance gate to Dunkeld, one of the venues for Baren's Court private school.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek