Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frederic M. Avery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4629-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

THE HYDRO. BURGESS HILL.

39. Franklands situated on the southern boundary of the town was, like Blackhouse and Burgess Hill farms, divided by the LondonBrighton railway and bridges were built to link the two parts of each farm. This photograph was taken during the Edwardian period and described as 'The Hydro', which was the hydropathie institute originally based at Wynnstay and founded in about 1903 by a German doctor Professor Riehard Haynel (Director of the Weidhaus Hygienic Institute). In 1909 the Hydro moved to Franklands and two years later was taken over by Southdowns Hydro Limited. The property then became known as Franklands Park Hotel unti11956. The original17th century building owned by the Marten family, later became the home of Frances Lady Hastings (widow of the 17th Baron Hastings) in 1873. Today, the house comprises nine flats and is again privately owned.

40. This view from Franklands Park Hotellooking towards the South Downs is one of the finest in Burgess Hili and overlooks fields, trees and hedgerows, that have remained exactly the same for hundreds of years. In the background, to the right of the photograph, is Wolstonbury Hili and further to the left stand the two famous windmills 'Jack and lil!', although they unfortunately cannot be seen here. Franklands, now converted into flats, is situated at the end of a private road off Greenland's Drive, where a modern housing development now stands, to the south of Keymer Road, The land in the photograph is still used for agricultural purposes and grazing, and since the area is designated 'green belt' , hopefully developrnent will never take place to spoil this magnificent scenic view.

41. This view of the fountain, looking west from the top of Silverdale Road, was taken eighty years ago and shows the triangular island to the left of the photograph and the wall fronting Hoadley's Corner on the right, The drinking fountain was ereeted in 1872 in memory of William Pigott who died in 1870. The horse trough was also erected, but in 1978 both memorials were re-erected outside St. John's parish church, a project commemorating the Queen's silver jubilee. On the extreme left, part of Wynnstay can be seen and on the right, the Burgess Hili Inn onee known as the Anehor can be seen. About fifteen years ago, the triangular island was demolished and replaeed by a mini roundabout, but the iron railings were removed about 1940. The direetion board near the top of the gas lamp-standard points northwards to the Congregational Chureh.

42. Wynnstay was built about 1876 by Sampson Copestake, owner of Cant's and Inholmes Farms -long since demolished, and where the Keymer Tile Works now flourishes. He owned land in various parts of Sussex induding Burgess Hill and he later built Inholmes Mansion in 1885 near the site of the day pits. Wynnstay was built for his own occupation before Inholmes Mansion, and was situated at the top of the hill in Junction Road where a new block of flats was built in 1974 bearing the same name. The original Wynnstay was built of red terracotta blocks made at nearby Ditchling pottery works and decorated with the most ornate rnouldings. Just before the turn of the century the house (formerly owned by Sampson Copestake) became a 'health hydro' - hydropathie institute and latterly St. Joseph's Convent before the new flats were built. The photograph shows the rear elevation and gardens. A photograph of the front elevation appears in 'Burgess Hill Past and Present', published in 1983 by Frederic M. Avery (author).

43. Mill Road looking north from the corner of Cyprus Road has not changed very much since the houses on the right, Sussex Terrace, were built in the 1880's by Henry Blaker. The many cottages on the left were built about the 1860's, probably as homes for workers at the nearby brickfields. lust past the white signboard on the left is Turkey Lane leading to the engineer's and millwrights works of E. Hole and Son founded in 1892. Mill Road originally lead from the town centre to the windmill which stood near the end of Mil! Road on the left just before deseending the short hili into Leylands Road. The cottages by the mill remain, but the Burgess Hili windmill was dismantled in 1916 after a severe gale force wind had left it in a very dangerous state.

44. Mil! Road (formerly Mill Lane) leads northwards from the bottom of Station Hill, and just to the west of the road ne ar its junction with Leylands Road (formerly Lye Lane) stood the Burgess Hili windmill. It was probably built in the late 18th century and demolished in 1916 after a storm had made the superstructure unstable. The brick roundhouse rernained for a further thirty years, and the adjacent MiII Cottages still survive , just to the south of the mil I. The windmilI, a post-rnill, had a design with fantail at the rear, which automatically kept the sails or sweeps facing into the wind as the whole body of the mill revolved around its central post. Photographs of the windmill are very rare and none of these show the mil! with sails intact.

45. This photograph of an early etching shows the first 'log cabin' waiting rooms and railway station, built in 1843. Both of the platforms were wooden structures and it appears that the only passenger had to wave the train to a halt by request. At the top of the slope on the right hand side was probably 'Tudor House', an early Victorian building that was demolished to make way for Keymer Parade, in 1958. The bridge was built to link Burgess Hill Farm that was split into two parts when the railway was completed in 1841, but today carries traffic down to the town centre, from Junction Road, Silverdale Road and Keymer Road.

46. Burgess Hill railway station eighty years ago would have looked like this, with steam trains passing through or stopping on their way to Brighton, as the train in the photograph. On the extreme left was the station master's house originally built in 1856 and extended in 1877 when the platforms were reconstructed. The bridge above the platforms and booking hall date from 1877 and the goods shed on the western side dates from 1889. The railway line from London to Brighton was completed in 1841 and electrified in 1933, although steam trains still ran twenty or more years later. There are plans to refurbish the station in the ne ar future and the Station Master's house and 'public weighbridge' building were demolished in the spring of 1986 to make way for possible future development. In 1923, the former LondonBrighton and South Coast Railway became the Southern Railway, then British Railways in 1948 and later British Rail, but today is known as Network South East.

47. This view of Burgess HiI! railway station was taken fifty years ago looking in an easterly direction up Station HiI!. Most of the station was built about 1877 with later additions in 1889. The booking hall was built on the bridge over the railway line and the bridge has been widened to support the booking office and to take a much wider roadway. The railway line was completed in 1841 and the bridge linked the two parts of Burgess Hill farm, divided when the railway was constructed. Another bridge to the north linked Blackhouse farm and one to the south linked Franklands farm. Today, this is probably one of the main areas of dense traffic and it would be impossible to walk up the hil! in the centre of the road as this man in the foreground seems to be doing with confidence.

48. Since the turn of the century, Burgess Hili has celebrated many events with street processions. They usually started at the top of the hili just beyond the railway station and proceeded down the hili via Church Road to the parish church or the Park. This particular procession took place on 9th August 1902 for the Coronation of King Edward VII. This was the most joyous event since the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. The photograph was taken by a professional photographer from the first f100r of Bank Buildings, built in the late 1870's in Mock Tudor style. On the right, the oak trees fronting Burgess Hili Farm are bounded by the tall brick wall. Most of this frontage was re-developed with shops and living accommodation over, during 1933, at the same time that the Southern Railway was electrified, which again brought prosperity to thetown.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek