Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frederic M. Avery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4629-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

49. The proeession of King Edward VII took place on 9th August 1902, and after the crowds had gathered by the drinking fountain at the top of the hilI, they then passed over the railway bridge outside of the station entranee and down the hilI through the town eentre to St. John's Chureh. Festivities later eontinued at the Victoria Pleasure Gardens where a publie dinner was held with about 200 elderly folk as guests. Over 1,200 ehildren had tea at the Gardens and then took part in athletie sports. The same night there was a torehlight procession to St. John's Park where there was a huge bonfire and a fine display of fireworks.

50. Fifty years ago haymaking scenes were quite common occurrences, particularly as many of the fields around the town were used for grazing and market gardening. This photograph was taken from the former P.N.E.V. school playing fields, off Church Road and all of the houses have been demolished. The house on the left was Latchetts, then a pair of Victorian semi-detached houses, then Dudley Terrace with an isolated house on the right all demolished about 1970, to make way for the new Mart/ets shopping precinct. At present, this site has become a car park and an area where the 'open market' stalls are situated. Most of this open space is due for redevelopment within the next two years, when the second phase of the Martlets shopping precinct is scheduled for completion.

51. 'Latchetts' built by Simeon Henry Norman (son of Simeon Norman) stood in Chureh Road next to the Baptist Chapel, but both were demolished in 1970 to make way for the new Martlets shopping preeinet eompleted in 1972. The large detaehed house was superbly built by eraftsmen engaged by the well-known loeal firm of Norman and Burt (Simeon Henry Norman being a partner with Henry Samuel Burt). Arehiteeturally designed and built with the finest materials available, the house dominated the southern side of Chureh Road and overlooked the playing fields of the P.N.E.U. (Parents National Edueation Union) sehool- now known as the Burgess Hili School for Girls. The gardens were wel! set out and terraeed at the rear, all ofwhieh eomplimented the overall design.

52. About the turn of the century, the shopping centre of Church Road would have been fairly quiet with few people just as the photograph shows. The scene on a Saturday morning today is so different, packed with vehicles and shoppers as far as the church in the distance. On the left in the foreground was once Union Bank and on the right are three of the five shops originally built about 1880. Further down on the right were the town council offices, and the police station built in 1882 (but redeveloped in two parts, about 1960 and 1972) also the gateway through the tunnel to the original fire station at the rear. Just past the police station was the ironmongery and hardware stores of Kellam's and between the trees can be seen the shopping area once known as the Broadway. At the end of the road, St. John's Parish Church can be seen and the lower part of Church Road was made a pedestrian shopping precinct soon after the Martlets new shopping centre (phase 1) was completed. Phase 2 is due for completion in 1990 and this includes roofing over phase 1, in harmony with the new development.

53. Chureh Road looking towards St. John's Chureh showing five shops on the south side; Gooderharn's, Prices, Fielder's, Harnptons, and Smith's, all family businesses. The premises oeeupied by Fielders was built forty or more years later than the buildings either side built in the 1890's. On the right in the foreground is Broad's, the eorn merehant and Mr. Prior's residence. Mr. E. Prior was manager of the Burgess Hili and District Electric Supply Company in Cyprus Road whieh was inaugurated in 1906. The next building was onee the Constitutional Club built in 1892 now the Town Couneil Offices and Bank and in the distancc, shops in The Broadway comprised a bakery. haberdashery, stationers, bicycle shop and wine stores, all built just before the turn of the century.

54. Sixty years ago, Church Road consisted of small family businesses. In the foreground on the right was Kellam's the hardware and ironmongery stores and on the left was Gooderham's the haberdashery store, then an empty parcel of land, Hamptons the furnisher's and lastly E.J. Smith the shoe-shop, There were very few cars in the town at that time, and those in the photograph belonged to wealthy residents. In the distance is St. John's Church and the spire can be clearly seen. On the right, just by the lamp post, was the impressive building onee intended for a Conservative Club, but commenced as a Constitutional Club in 1892, and in 1906 became the first venue of the P.N .E.U. school for girls. The school flourished for twenty-five years at these premises, which was next to the Capital and Counties Bank and from 1928 to 1931 the school moved to premises in Keymer Road and Glendale Road. Today the building houses a bank, and an extension at the rear offices on the first floor now accommodates the Town Councîl.

55. Further down Church Road, from the Town Council Offices to the corner of Cyprus Road, was a terrace of shops built in the late 1890's and known as the Broadway. In the foreground was Mr. Anthony Hole's cycle and motor car repair works next to the shop, then Mr. Burnetts the printer and stationer, and other shops that, over the years, have included a haberdashery, bakery and wine stores. Mr. Anthony Hole had been in business for forty years (five years in Mil! Road and thirty-five years in Church Road). In 1902 he drove the first motor car in the town, an 1898 Benz, and was a member of the 'Mid-Sussex Volunteer Fire Brigade' for more than twenty-five years. He was also one of the oldest members of St. John's Institute (now known as Park Centre) where he was a popular figure, and he died in 1939 at the age of 60 years. In 1983 the shop in Church Road closed and another opened in Cyprus Road just around the corner adjacent to the original workshop.

56. 'The Broadway' built just before the turn of the century comprised seven or eight shops, and the shop on the corner of Church Road and Cyprus Road was a wine and spirit stores. The first owner was William Downer who was followed by others and some years later by William Down. Known as The Gien Wine and Spirit Stores since it was built, it was supplied by Brighton brewer's Kidd and Hotblack befere being taken over by Tamplins in 1926. The photograph was probably taken about 1925 and shows MI. William Down standing in the doorway. Next door to the wine store was the International Stores popular in several towns and villages. For more than a decade, the former wine store has been the prernises of a well-known local estate agent, who moved from the building opposite known as Dudley Terrace, demolished to make way for the first phase of the new town development.

57. During the late 1920's and early 1930's, many houses and shops were built to keep pace with local needs. In 1928, a new cinema The Scala was built and in 1935 this magnificent outdoor swimming pool was built at the north-western corner of the Park. On the left was a fountain and at the end of the pool, a building containing all the necessary filtration plant. The pool is still in use today and an indoor pool built in 1974 at the western end, is also popular with many families and school classes.

58. The Burgess HilI and Mid-Sussex Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1881 and a second hand Shand Mason steam engine was purchased and housed in this building, the first fire station in the town. It was situated at the rear of the old council offices and original police station, and was approached from Church Raad through a long archway. All of the buildings mentioned have now been demolished, and two new shops and a bank built on the original site. Another fire station was built further down Church Road before the war and this has been used as a motor car repair works for some years. The latest and most modern fire station was built on the Brow in recent years and the Police and Ambulance Stations are closely sited off Civic Way.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek