Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Frederic M. Avery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4629-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burgess Hill in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

59. Watehing the fire brigades at Burgess Hili soon became an annual event to be held in St. John's Park. Although this photograph was taken eighty years ago , these competitive events were held for more than fifty years. Various brigades from mid-Sussex villages took part not only to compete for trophies, but to demonstrate the latest equipment and apparatus for firefighting. Sometimes, tall structures were erected, then set alight and the flames were then doused with water so that the fire was extinguished in the shortest possible time. Most of the volunteer part-time firemen were proud to wear their uniform and to demonstrate their skill, strength, stamina, and of course the ability to carry out their duties effectively. Open days are now held in place of competitive events and these are weil attended.

60. The Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist was built on land given by Mr. John Archer. The foundation stone was laid on 4th November 1861 and the Church was consecrated on 12th June 1863. The architect was Mr. Talbot Bury of London and the builder was Mr. Ellis of Chichester. The cost of the building was [6,045 and by Christmas 1865 the whole of that sum had been raised by public subscription. On 29th June 1865 the District Chapelry of St. John the Evangelist, St. John's Common, in the County of Sussex was formed. The church was built mainly of fine red bricks and tiles made locally and enlargements have been made over the years. The doek was added in 1887 and the chimes in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's jubilee years. At present a programme of repair and restoration is being planned and fund raising has now begun.

61. The interior of the church contains many memorials and furnishings donated by several affluent local families. The altar is situated behind the left hand column with the pulpit on the left and the organ on the right. FoUowing the line of every archway is a darker line of blue and terra-cotta colour glazed tiles, some having repetative but pleasant designs which compliment the fawn coloured stonework. The f100r is tiled in dark terra-cotta and the complete roof structure is open to view. There are a large number of beautiful stained glass windows which filter bright sunlight to enrich their colourful murals. Itis hoped that, after renovation works yet to be done, the church will reveal some more of its original charm, once displayed during the Victorian era.

62. HandbeIl ringers of St. John the Evangelist Parish Church photographed about 1905 wearing their 'Sussex Smocks'. From left to right are: Mr. Braysher, Tom Stringer, Harry Gravett, Arthur Gravett and George Gasson. The central figure Harry Gravett inherited Gravett's potteries (estabJished in 1853) from his father John, and he was manager until the works closed in 1909. He then continued working at Meed's potteries further up the road. Forty years later, the handbell ringers inc1uded a lady - Miss Rhita Simpson. The others were Harry Gravett, Frank Laycock, Tom Walder, Bob Simpson, Ron West, George Sturt, Percy Parsons, and George Gasson. Today, the handbell ringers are predominently ladies who are maintaining a fine tradition in Burgess Hill, started before the turn of the centuryprobably 1897 when eight beIls were installed in the church belfry to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamondjubilee.

63. This photograph shows most of Lower Church Road which leads from St. John's Church to London Road. Along the left, behind the lime trees (which no longer exist), is St. John's public park and recreation ground. The park was given to the town by Madame Emily Temple who also built Church Road Villas (just in front of the church spire) also some large detached houses in Upper St. John's Road. St. John's Institute built in 1872 was also given to the town by Madame Temple and situated at the north eastern corner of the park in Park Road. Today, the Institute is known as Park Centre and used mainly by the youth of the town, and the very pleasant park has a cricket pitch and pavilion, tennis courts, two swimming pools and a children's playground. The flower gardens are wel!-tended during the year. This photograph was taken about 1930, and the car , an Austin Seven saloon, was one of the most popular of smal! cars to be owned by many people in the years to follow.

64. Royal George cross-roads looking east along Lower Church Road towards the Church with Alwen's bakery on the left and the butchers shop owned by Edwin Street (who also was the proprietor ofthe Victoria Pleasure Gardens), on the right, This photograph was taken from Royal George Road about 1900 long before the motor car was to be seen along the busy London Road leading towards London to the left and Brighton to the right. Some of the buildings in this area date back to 1850 but most were built between 1860 and 1870. Although this was probably the most busy of all cross-roads, only one gas lamp on the left hand corner was provided to illuminate the area at night. Today, there are traffic lights to safely control the cross-roads, one of the most busy areas in the town.

65. On the western side of Burgess Hill, formerly St. John's Common, were half-a-dozen late 16th or early 17th century farmhouses. The Gattons farmhouse. photographed fifty years ago, was a typical half-timbered building, extended to double its original size. The oldest part of the building can be seen on the right of the chimney stack and the Victorian 'addition' on the left. The farmhouse was situated off Royal George Road and after it was demolished, some years ago, an infants school was built on the site but the name 'Gattons' was retained. Some of the original building was constructed from old ships timbers and were of considerable size and length. The infill panels were of bricks, made locally, and typical of the Tudor style of building.

I

66. This rare photograph of St. John's Sheep and Lamb Fair was taken about 1905, eight years before the fair was last held. The fair probably originated during the early 14th century and was held on St. John the Baptist day. The site ofthe 'Fayre Place' was bounded by London Road, Fairfield Road and West Street, just opposite the King's Head public house. In later years the fair was held twice a year and incorp

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek