Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Betty Perren
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3102-5
Pagina's
:   88
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19. The Town Mill, by Mill House in Station Road, was a post-mill recorded as existing in 1796. About 1800 it was worked by J oseph Newman. A Staggs was running it in 1849, one of a family which worked the mil1 for at least thirty years til1 1877, using two pairs of stones. It was out of use by 1896 and was demolished shortlyafter 1900.

T

-----~-

. :i1~

- -'

20. Station Road, opposite the present Public Library. The trees on the left have given way to buildings.

Station Road . BURNHAM-ON-CROUCH.

21. Station Raad, showing the Oyster Smack on the right.

22. The New Welcome Sailor. We do not know the date of its building, but it was some time between 1849, when the Tithe Map shows the land on which it was built, and 1871-72 when the Ordnance Survey map shows two public houses: the Old Welcome Sailor and the Welcome Sai1or. The E.R. in lights in this picture probab1y marks the Coronation of Edward VII.

23. Crouch Road, earlier Honey Street. The back premises of the New Welcome Sailor are on the left. William Collis' sweetshop is on the site of the present Kingdom Hall. The wooden building on the right was a fish shop.

24. Albert Road showing the Methodist Chapel which was erected in 1862. ft was known locally as 'The Six of Diamonds', because of the pattern of the decorative brickwork.

25. Lilian Raad, showing milk delivery cart with churn. The building on the extreme left is traditional Essex weather-boarding, while the next terrace is of Victorian brick dwellings typical of the 'New Town'.

26. A view across the gravel pits in 1898 toward the newly-built Board School. The buildings in the distance are around the Railway Hotel.

27. The County School, Devonshire Raad, former1y the Board School. It was erected for about .t2,000 on a site of two and a half acres. It was opened on 15th August 1898 and en1arged in 1901 to accommodate 350 boys and girls and 200 infants. A com parison with picture No. 26 shows the additional building.

28. The Sandpits have a long history, yielding gravel to make up local roads. Devonshire Road was known earlier as Gravel Lane.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek