Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Betty Perren
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3102-5
Pagina's
:   88
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. lee hockey of a kind on the Sandpits pond. The Sandpits have always provided a playground for Burnham people all the year round.

30. The Parish Church of St. Mary dates part1y from the 14th century, though the font is earlier. The roof was destroyed by fire in the 18th century and replaced by a barrel ceiling inside. The tower had a steeple, which made it a useful seamark until it was blown down in a gale in the same century. It is a good mile away from the High Street and the Quay, so that Burnham was effective1y two settlements until the 'New Town' gradually grew up during the 19th century along the road between them and outward on the landward side.

31. The interior of the Marsh Mission decorated for a Harvest Festival. On the left is Mr. Jones and at the organ Mr. Rowe. The Mission was at Coleward Farm. It was taken down in 1950 and rebuilt to form a room at the rear of the Congregational (now United Reform) Church in Station Road. Note the tables set for a Harvest Supper.

32. The Parade, later The Quay, c. 1912. On the far left is West House which fronts on the High Street. The boat shed still belongs to R.J. Prior and Son. The open land on the left of the picture is now taken up by boatsheds belonging to William King and Son. Prior's dock can be seen where the path turns sharply left.

33. A view of the Quay. The shed belongs to King's and bears the legend: 'Sailing Boats, Dinghies in Stock. Spars. Sails.'

34. The Quay between 1900 and 1910. The café was run by its Italian proprietor Ernest Ballerati. It has now been incorporated into a private house after years as a café under other owners. Next to it is the White Hart Hotel, still in existence, and in the distance is the bandstand, here without a roof. The bandstand has gone, as have the steps 1eading up to the seawal1, providing access to the Town Steps and Hard.

35. The White Hart Hotel between 1905 and 1910. It catered for day-trippers as wen as for wild-fowlers and yachtsmen. The barrels assem bied on the Quay were perhaps waiting to go into the cellar. The cannon on its carriage is still to be seen on the quay, The bandstand in this picture has its canvas roof in place.

36. The town 'Pound' c. 1902-1904. It is still used as a bathing p1ace and for hauling out boats.

37. Tip Bridge, leaning against the lamp-post, owned the 'Mudlark', a pleasure boat. The man to the right is George Bourne, one of two well-known brothers, also boat owners.

I .' 1·' -If

THE PARADE. BURNHAM-ON-CROUCH.

38. This view of the Quay looking westward dates from the 1890s. On the right the railings bound the gardens of The Lawn. Beyond these one can see the side of the Burnham Yacht Club, later the Royal Burnham Yacht Club.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek