Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Betty Perren
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3102-5
Pagina's
:   88
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

49. The Royal Burnham Yacht Club verandah on the occasion of a visit by the Sultan of Zanzibar. The Commodore, Hartley Straker, is by the Sultan who is accompanied by his son and Prime Minister. This was on 29th June 1929.

50. The present building of the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club. It was designed by Joseph Emberton and built in 1931, winning an architectural award. It is a relatively early example of 'modern' style in England and is included in the National List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historical Interest. It has a wonderful position, so that from its balconies there is an unrivalled view up and down the river.

51. At the end of the sailing season boats are laid up for the winter and it is a usual sight to see quite large boats being towed through the streets of Burnham on the way to their winter quarters. In this picture 'Amazon' is being towed by a traction engine owned by W. Robinson before the First World War.

52. The junction of Green Lane and Maldon Raad shows bath unsurfaced at this time. The latter was and is the only access to Burnham from outside the Dengie peninsula. The building on the right is the George and Dragon Inn, now replaced by a modern public house. The cottages on the left were demolished for a raad widening scheme which never came about. This area, Ostend, was a separate hamlet of Burnham.

53. There was a ferry between Creeksea and Wallasea Island from time immemorial, One of its functions was to convey cattle, sheep or horses to grazing land on Wallasea. Horses and catt1e were made to swirn, herded by the ferry. In this picture Mr. Deacon is holding the painter.

54. The casting shop of Mildmay lronworks (Booth and Brookes) where the chief manufacture was piano frames. They made many smaller castings, such as frames for pedal sewing-machines and parts of gas stoves as weil as decorative castings. Among their customers were the Essex firms of Marconi and Crompton's.

55. Mildmay Ironworks claimed to have made the largest and the smallest grand piano frames in the world. The smallest was for Queen Mary's doll's house. Here the largest is shown beside an ordinary baby grand frame.

56. Piano frames and other products of the Mildmay lronworks about to be loaded on a train by Ron Halliday Sr. (1eft) and George Whiting. George Whiting was in charge of all loading operations in the foundry.

57. One of two solid-wheeled delivery lorries belonging to the Mildmay Ironworks. This was a Leyland; its body was made at the foundry by the pattem-makers. The driver, by the bonnet, was Mr. Jeffries. Between five and six hundred piano frames left the foundry by lorry or train every week.

58. Local sailmakers' and seamen's skills were mobilised in both World Wars. This is the splicing shop of Nethercoat's Works, which produced canvas buckets and tents for the forces. The men are on sailmakers' benches. On the front one are two fids and a mallet, the tools of their trade.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek