Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Betty Perren
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3102-5
Pagina's
:   88
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Burnham-on-Crouch in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

59. The machine shop of Nethercoat's factory, later part of the Royal Burnham Yacht Club. The green preservative on the canvas contained arsenic; to guard against its effects the girls had to drink extra milk.

60. Eye-splicing in wire ropes at Petticrow's boatyard.

61. Baatbuilding has been an industry in Burnham for a long time. Befare the advent of yachting, the work was mainly repairs to colliers, smacks, hoys and barges, with the building of an occasional small baat. This picture is of Stebbings' Yard, showing a clinkerbuilt dinghy. From left to right are: Tom Amos; William Stebbings Sr.; Harry Stebbings and William Stebbings Jr. Note the moulds and too1s on the wall.

62. Boatbuilding in Prior's Yard in the late 1930s. The keel and timbers are in place and the boat has been made ready for planking,

/

mIIIJ

" . , .

" . . "

l ~ l' l

,1

"

1

63, Cranfie1d's sailmaking loft was above King's shop. The men posing are, from left to right: Rando1ph King; William King, the founder of the boatyard; Thornley King; Morgan King; George Cranfield; Arthur Clarke and Weymouth Hawkes. The three others are sailmakers from Cranfield's sail loft. The photograph was taken about 1899. King's Yard became well-known for building many fine yachts,

64. MI. 'Stumpy' Bridge's cab outside the church. His nickname was due to his having a wooden leg. The Bridges have had a hire service through horses to motors until the present day.



I

65. Motor cycle repairs at Ambrose's garage at the corner of Foundry Lane c. 1915. The shop also dealt with bicycles and housed Anibrose's photographic studio.

66. Burnham and District 'Bus Service was one of the competitors of Pride of the Marshes which ran from BradweIl. All the services were taken over by Quest Motors of Maldon which, in turn, was taken over by Eastern National.

67. A steam train approaching Burnham Station from Southminster. The line now uses diesel locomotives. The railway came to Burnham in 1888-89. This picture shows the footbridge and two platforms, on1y one of which is now in use.

68. The High Street with a triumphal arch for Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The Star inn can be seen on the left. Through the arch can be seen the Congregational Chapel which gave its name to Chapel Road. It was burned down in 1946.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek