Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Introduetion

It would be a brave man to venture to date the first settlement at Calverley. The name itself, once spelt Caver1eia, meaning a clearing in the forest for calves, is Old English in origin. This dates its formation to well before the Domesday Book of 1086-7. In fact Calverley Church is dedicated to the Saxon St. Wilfrid.

The ancient parish of Calverley covered a wide area including Pudsey, Farsley, Idle, Wrose and Bolton. Pudsey remained in Calverley parish until1878, over SO years after St. Lawrence Church had been built. But for all its importance as an ecclesiastical centre it was physically not a large settlement, the Domesday Book showing its three carucates of taxable land (possibly about 400 acres) to be much less than that of most of its neighbours. Calverley, as largely an estate village with few freeholders, was inhibited from developing industrially so that even today it still has a rural feel about it with plenty of open space, not least the beautiful Calverley Woods. Inspiration to pre pare this book came from a collection of Postcards which were bequeathed to Pudsey Civic Society by the late Miss Edna Grant of Calverley. Using these we decided to have published by European Library another in their series of Old Picture Postcards, but this time featuring Calverley.

We have broadened Miss Grant's collection with several pictures belonging to the Society, and others, which we know you will find interesting. Like the other publications, whatever page this book falls open at will help you rediscover images from the past. Several Society Members have taken part in the preparation of this book. Margaret Ford undertook the exacting task of selecting the cards and photographs and the following people provided their help and knowledge also allowing us to use their own pictures. Without their assistance, producing this book would have proved very difficult.

David Alred Betty Appleby
Kathleen Attenborough Joyce and Ian Butler Calverley Library Audrey Cooper
Jackie Depelle
Malcolm and Beverley Elliott Margaret Ford
Ted Garnett
Ruth Hannam
Keith Harrison
Malcolm Ibbotson
Chris Johnson-Green
Gladys Lane Eva Milner
Andrew McDermid Leslie Overend
Julie Robertshaw Shirley and Geoff Shaw Christine Stephenson Ruth Strong
Irene Turner
The Telegraph & Argus Betty Walkden
David Williams Pudsey Civic Society

1 The Walter Calverley seen here was the great-grandson of the notorious Walter Calverley who in 1605, in a violent rage, murdered his two sons. His father, another Walter, had married Frances Thompson, heiress of Esholt Hall, in 1662. They soon left Calverley's mediaeval old Hall for the doubtless more comfortable accommodation at Esholt. It was at Esholt in 1669 that Walter, later Sir Walter, shown here was born. In 1706 Walter embarked on rebuilding Esholt Hall ready for his bride Julia Blackett, seen on the right. Sir Walter's son, yet another Walter, changed his name to Blackett on his marriage and moved to his mother's family estate at Wallington in Northumberland.

2 This picture shows Calverley from the air in the 193 Os. Bottom left can be seen Capel Street with Shaftesbury House, the home of Dr Hughes. Middle left shows the Trinity Methodist Chapel and Sunday School in Clarke Street, now demolished. Town Gate is in the foreground with Blackett Street off to the left with the steep pitched roof of the Mechanics' Institute at the top (opened in 1874). Church corner can plainly be seen with the Georgian houses next to the Church. The corner was widened as traffic increased, though there is a distinct lack of traffic on the photograph. N otice the number of surrounding fields, same of which have since been built on.

3 In the distance of this postcard is Calverley Bridge, originally built by Sir Walter Calverley in 1710. It was rebuilt after storm damage in 1775. The weir was first mentioned in the 13m century and until it was washed away during World War II it had lasted for a period of 650 years. The area to the right of the bridge (upstream) is the site of the former Calverley Mill, originally a corn mill from 13 2a, but later a fulling mill and now demolished. A pathway through the fields to the left formerly led to the fulling mill and was known as Mill Lane.

4 Situated on the edge of the village, the Holly Park Mill Company started production in February 1868 with Staincliffe Cordingley as the first mill engineer. The company carried out scouring, scribbling, spinning and milling on commission, but especially for firms renting premises in the mill. Amongst these were Atkinson Bros., John Walton & Son, and Isaac and Thomas Hollings, all of whom soon installed power looms for their woollen cloth. One by one skilled handloom weavers became redundant. The dam became unused when the old beam engine was dismantled in 1948 and the mill subsequently ran on electricity Despite modernisation production ceased in 1971, the machinery was sold off and the following February the premises were bought by Anglia Textiles, manufacturers of fine worsteds.

5 After serving as a soldier in the First World War, Eric Waters set up business as a tinsmith and locksmith in Calverley Here is Eric standing proudly by the door to his little workshop. It was situated on The Green (Town Wells). There were several cottages here and also the village post office. Mr Waters seems to be standing proudly by his door; perhaps the signboard is brand new and has just been hung in its prominent position.

6 This photograph shows Clover Greaves Mill after the fire in 1909 before the mill chimney was taken down on 13 August 1970. The original building was erected in 1838 in the name of Kellett Brown & Co. Ltd. The Company owned the premises but let out 'room and power' to other firms. One of the principle occupiers was Grimshaw Brothers Ltd. makers of tweeds, whipcords and Bedford cords. During wartime khaki and air force cloth was also manufactured. The mill was rebuilt and continued until1970 when the area was cleared, becoming the site for a small estate of private houses.

7 This view from the top of the Cutting across Carr Raad shows (from right to left) Lydgate Mills' general office, main entrance, mill manager's office and the mill engineer's cottage. The first mill engineer was William (Bill) Cordingley who started work in February 1901. The mill engine was started up on 17m May of the same year by owner Mr John Walton's daughter Irene, later Mrs John Holliday, and was named Irene Maud after her. In the first few years the average weekly consumption of coal varied between 21 tons 8 cwt. and 22 tons 2 cwt., the horse-power of the engine being around 221.

8 After two attempts, Lydgate Mills' 120 foot high chimney was finally demolished by a charge activated by Miss Yorkshire Television on 15 th December 1976. It was a memorable day in Calverley's history. For at least a period of 700 years village life had been intimately bound up with the production of woollen cloths and in 1265 Calverley was already noted for being a centre for the fulling of woollens. Sadly all four of the local mills had, for a variety of economic reasons, ceased production in the 20 years preceding 1976.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek