Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 Although Calverley Wood contains many old stone pits, it was John Winn a Cornishman living in Apperley Bridge who claimed to be the first to open up the wood for commercial quarrying in the early 183 Os. He was succeeded by several other companies until the last, Thos. Clough & Sans in 1896, who saw the great quarries given up at the end of 19 05. The site contained stabling for six to eight horses with a cart shed, a smithy, and a stone yard where material was dressed before being craned on to carts as shown here. The stone was then transported either to the canal for onward shipment or up to the village. This last route involved haulage up an in cline in the wood and then along Wood Lane, the whole track being surfaced with flagstones. The mats made by the iron rims of the cart wheels are still clearly visible. The man with the cart is Mr George Lee.

10 Known by local people as a stile, this kissing gate in Monson Avenue was used by many villagers as a short cut up the fields to Shell Lane. Laid out by the Council in 1910 Monson Avenue was not built until after World War H. No one is certain where the avenue's name originated but it is possible that Monson was the name of a colleague of Thomas Thornhill, Lord of the Manor of Calverley, who had a career in the Diplomatic Corps, returning to England from China in 1903 following involvement in the Siege of Peking.

11 The Tomlin Weil, a spring flowing into a stone trough, is hidden by undergrowth and a large holly tree. As seen from this photograph taken about 19 00 it used to be easily accessed, being on the public footpath from Calverley to Apperley Bridge through the wood. It was also adjacent to a broad track from the quarries to the canal-side. The word Tomlin is found elsewhere in Airedale as an old field name and may be a diminutive of the name Thomas; so the Calverley site may once have been known as Little Torn's well. The children on the photograph are Ada Rich, Marian Parkinson and Louie Swaine. Ada's father was a railway signalman and Marian's a carter in a local mill. Louie's father (Fred) was a weaving overlooked and also a celebrated local artist.

12 In Chapel Street stands this double fronted building with an elaborate gateway, suggesting it was built for a particular purpose. Indeed, it was to house the Offices of Calverley Urban District Council who had previously met in the front room of the Clerk's house. This new building was started in the summer of 1904 and opened in February 1905 when the occasion was marked with a special dinner. This picture shows the building dressed to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary in 1935. When Calverley became part of Leeds in 1974 after Government reorganisation, the building was used as a clinic and doctor's surgery.

13 This picture shows an avenue of Beech Trees which was laid out in the 19th Century to form a grand entrance on the south side of the village. Known as The Avenue, Woodhall Raad, we are looking towards the village from the top of the hill. In the background are the bungalows in Victoria Street, Underhill Farm, the Conservative Club and Parkside School. The building in the middle foreground, at the end of the road leading to Holly Park Mills, was used by the Scout and Guide movements. These fields were all built on in the 193 Os and unfortunately only one or two are left in the year 2005.

14 The Leeds & Liverpool Cam linking the Red and White Rose counties wends its way north of Calverley, skirting the edge of Calverley Woods. In this photograph the people and the tranquil setting echo the gentle pace of the canal. A man angles while a little girl seems to be watching the water for any signs of fish. The bridge is partly open, perhaps to enhance the image. The same could be said for the couple posing serenely on it. Every bridge along the length of the Canal is identified by a letter or number and many of them have names. This is Calverley Lodge Swing Bridge, No. 217. The Canal was begun in 177 0 with the Leeds to Gargrave section opening in 177 7. Engineered by John Longbotham of Halifax, the 127 mile long project was completed in 1816.

15 One of the milestones in the long history of Calverley took place on 28'h May 192 2. On this day Councillor Ralph Grimshaw, President of the Calverley Ex Service Meri's Branch of the British Legion, unveiled the Cenotaph with its railing surround. Now listed Grade II it dominates the entrance to Calverley Park. Sculpted by Louis Frederick Roslyn (1878-1940), the memorial was paid for by public donation. This dedication picture shows a well dressed crowd, including soldiers, surrounding the memorial with the dignitaries and clergy standing on the base of the Cenotaph during the ceremony

16 Mrs Jane Lee nee Winn, complete with hat, stands in front of Calverley old Hall considered one of the best preserved mediaeval manor houses in West Yorkshire. After the Calverley family moved to Esholt Hall in the late 17'h century the old hall was divided into cottages so escaping any Georgian or Victorian 'modernisation' . The 1881 Population Census shows that it comprised seven dwellings, including two farmhouses. The oldest part is the Solar (with the gable end to the camera) which chronology dates from around 138 O. It was originally timber framed, later being encased in stone. The Great Hall (to the right of the Solar) was built later, dated around 1485, replacing a former, narrower, Hall and Chapel (which can just be seen on the left of the photograph ). There was a private gallery for the family accessed from the Solar. In 1981 the whole property was bought by the Landmark Trust who halted its deterioration.

17 This North Wing of Calverley old Hall was the last major addition. Dating from the early 1600s, it was the work of Henry Calverley, the surviving child of the Walter Calverley who had been pressed to death at York in 1605 for murdering his two older sons. The upper storey is believed to have been raised in the 1700s to make more spacious bedchambers. When the Landmark Trust bought the property this wing comprised two partly burned out and derelict cottages. The Trust has developed the wing as rentable accommodation, where possible the original features have been restored and period furnishings used, making it a unique holiday cottage.

18 In a quaint old part of the village is this ancient footpath known as the Wicket. It was used by the Calverley family on their way from the old Hall to the Parish Church. Running from the bottom of Blackett Street into Town Gate there are a number of small cottages along one side. There are many other similar back ways, snickets, ginners and alleyways in the village and in the 190 Os local folk preferred to use them rather than the streets. At same stage the Wicket probably had a large gate, with a smaller one beside it (the wicket gate).

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek