Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19 Standing just to the west of Calverley Parish Church and remembered as Jim Lee's farmhouse, this building actually comprised the farmhouse along with one or more cottages. Jim Lee had one of Calverley's larger farms and he was also a wheelwright and blacksmith. He died in 1904 and the buildings were later demolished, the site being used to enlarge the gardens of Woodleigh (which became Sherwood House) to provide a tennis court. The right side of the building is apparently the older half; the triangular mullions suggesting a late 17m or early 18m century date whilst the squared mullions to the windows on the left are more typical of the late 18m century

20 A magnificent example of Georgian architecture can be found on Carr Road. It stands foursquare on the sweeping and potentially dangerous bend by the Parish Church. Part of this large pair of splendid early semi -detached residences was once a farm with outbuildings, the other part being used by the Church. It is possible that they were first owned by the Calverley family, and subsequently by the Thornhills. Notice the sash windows to the front with several side windows having been blocked up, and the identical central doorways.

21 This cluster of buildings known as Foxholes was built between 1820 and 1851. In 1820 Abraham Pearson, a Calverley 'clothier' (or self employed handloom weaver) bought a long narrow close of about one acre which was already called 'Poxhole' . It was just off Woodhall Lane, an isolated plot of freehold land surrounded by land belonging to the Calverley estate. The first Ordnance Survey Map of el8 5 0 shows the three dwellings in the photograph already built on the site. There are also two detached buildings to the south, probably workshops for handloom weaving. In 1851 John Pearson, a cloth manufacturer, Abraham?s eldest son, was living there with cloth weavers in the adjoining cottages. By the time of the 1881 census power looms had made handloom weavers redundant and the main house was occupied by a family of independent means, looked after by a family servant.

22 This elegant building is Shaftesbury House, It was built in 1871 by Dr Giddings and named after his birthplace. The Oddfellows, an independent Fraternal and Benevolent Society, paid for Dr Giddings to look after its members, an early example of such an arrangement. The House was to remain the home of Calverley doctors until19 70. Between the 1900s and 1970 Doctors Hughes, Pyecroft and Edgar successively used the premises as home and surgery The imposing front entrance was not used by the patients; the waiting room and surgery door were at the side in Capel Street.

23 Known as Salisbury Street, this fine row of stone built terraced houses was actually built in three phases, starting in the 189 Os at the northern end. The southern section followed 10 years later, with the middle added in 1910 to complete the run. Known as Wheater Street after the builder Mr Alfred Wheater, the properties appear to be only two storied, however they have a lower floor leading out into pleasant gardens to the rear, Alfred's father built Sandhurst Street with the family constructing much of Calverley as well as parts of Rodley Alfred Wheater was an early President of the local Conservatives and lived in Hatfield House shown at the immediate left of the postcard, adjoining Victoria Street. The house was named after the ancestral seat of the Marquis of Salisbury, hence the renaming of the whole road.

24 St. Peter's Square was situated at the junction of Woodhall Road and Rushton Street. These stone cottages were demolished by the Thornhill Estates due to their poor state of repair and were replaced by a terrace of houses with a corner shop, which has a date stone of 1908. The shop was occupied by Mr Rhodes the greengrocer who also had a horse and cart with which he toured the village weekly, selling his produce. It was later occupied by Mrs Chillard and then by Horn & Kipling, bakers and confectioners.

25 Situated on Town Gate, the first Post office from 1840 to 1909 was part of a group of six cottages in what was then the centre of the village. Mr Benjamin Rushforth (believed to be the gentleman on the left of this picture) was the sub-Postmaster and when he retired in 1930 he and his family had served the village for 70 years. It was from here that postcards could be sent to a local relative informing them of an intended visit in the afternoon of the same day, knowing that the card would be delivered before your arrival, all for the princely sum of a ha' penny Post could also be collected from here on a Sunday morning. All the cottages were demolished just before the start of the First World War, though the remains lingered for many years until the Town Wells gardens were made.

26 This the second of Calverley's Post offices, replaced the old Post Office on The Green. Along with the adjoining house it was built in Blackett Street in 19 0 9. In 1937 the Post Office moved to 38 Carr Raad, although the Blackett Street post box is still in regular use, now fixed in the wall opposite. During World War II the building was used as an Air Raid Wardens' Post being sandbagged for protection from bombs. After the war it was used by a Building Society and later by a firm of solicitors before being converted into a house in 2 000.

27 No. 38 Carr Road became the third village Post office in 1938. Harry Glover moved here from Blackett Street to take over the house and shop in that year. Before then it housed the gown and dressmaking business of one Emmie Outhwaite. This 1963 photograph must have been taken shortly after Peter Foulds became the Postmaster. Parked outside is a 'White Lady' West Yorkshire Road Car Company coach. The indicator is showing 'Private', perhaps it was about to depart on a day trip organised by one of the many local groups. That company also provided services through the village between Bradford and Leeds, Keighley and Leeds, and a twice daily service between Bradford and Scarborough.

28 This old view of St. Wilfrid's, Calverley's Parish Church shows the chancel after restoration in 1844. It had to be almost completely rebuilt 25 years later due to faults caused by the slope of the ground and bad workmanship. The glass in the east window is one of the church's greatest treasures. After numerous earlier attempted rep airs and a complete removal for safety during World War H, it had to be taken down and comprehensively restored in York in 1992. The considerable cost of the work was met by an appeal to the whole village. The glass is now a wonderful kaleidoscope of colour with fragments from at least six former windows in the church and dating from about 1340 into the following century

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek