Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29 There is no date for this photograph of the interior of St. Wilfrid's looking east. However it was probably taken soon after 1897 when the brass lectern was donated by Edwin Woodhouse Esq. of Brookleigh (and Sunnybank Mills in Farsley) to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The reredos, behind the altar, had been presented to the church in 1870 by Thomas Hollings Gray In 1894 Thomas' widow Agnes Gray gave the organ which is sited on the left, in his memory Although the Church itself is believed to date from Saxon times, the nave walls are of the 11 more early 12m Century The arcades and aisles were added later. High up is a tiny filled-in typically Norman window with a round-arched head, the arch being cut from a single block of stone.

30 These stone water troughs in Town Wells, on The Green, remind us it was one of the many sources of water in Calverley; others being in Woodhall Raad, Foxholes, West End, and at the bottom of Thornhill Street. Also on The Green was a dye house (or lead house) where cottage weavers would dye their waal before carding and spinning. There was a temptation for them to 'wash off' their waal in the Town Wells polluting the water, hence a declaration from the Manorial Court in 1636 warned of a fine of two shillings for so doing. By the 188Os the Wells were no longer used as a domestic water supply but as a drinking place for horses and cows.

31 A Garden of Rest with seats, a rockery and toilets, provided in November 1932 in Town Wells was part of a scheme to improve the appearance of that part of the village. Ornamental gates and railings were constructed in the design of alternate circles and crosses leading to its nickname "The OXO Gardens'. The railings, along with others from the village, were taken for supposed munitions during World War II but were replaced in 2000 to commemorate Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's 100'th birthday. The gate posts show the date 1933 and CUDC, an abbreviation for Calverley Urban District Council.

32 This view of Thornhill Street shows the Mechanics Institute. Built on the site of the Punchbowl Inn at a cast of about f,2, 2 00 in 'Victorian Gothic' style, it was opened to approximately 170 members in 1874. Previously members had first met in the upper loft of a mistal, then in similar quarters over a stable and lastly in a cottage in Thornhill Street. Within three years the Institute was running successful weaving classes to which the Bradford Technical College came 'to see how it was done'. A billiard room was downstairs and for 50 years this was the meeting place for the Calverley Mutual Improvement Society The Institute also contained a public hall, reading room, supper room, and of course the library The Calverley Players made their home here in 1945 along with other local societies and the building is used for concerts, plays etc. The library was replaced by a purpose built one lower down the street which opened on 25m September 1973.

33 The laying of the foundation stone of the Conservative Club in Victoria Street by the President Thomas Atkinson took place on 19m October 190 1. Originating in 1893 at 2 0 Clarke Street, money for the project was raised by offering shares in the new club. The first 5 0 at f, 1 were taken by Thomas Atkinson; Arthur and Frank Atkinson and Alfred Wheater each bought 25, and other shares at values of 0 0, f,5 and f,2 were taken by 98 members. 1000 shares were required for the launch and 896 were sold immediately, the balance being taken within two months. The Club was officially opened in 1902 and had 200 members from 15 years of age. However when intoxicants were made available in 1920 the age limit was raised to 18. Plans of the property do not show a bowling green although one was made later, to be closed in 193 1. Seen here decorated with flags the club was probably celebrating the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary in 1935.

34 This is a view of Thornhill Street built in the 1870s which falls between Victoria Street and Woodhall Road and named after the prominent Thornhill family, owners of the Calverley estate since 1754. Following the death of Thomas Thornhill in 1844 the Trustees were enabled, by Act of Parliament, to sell off by auction parts of the estate. Miss Clara Thornhill, the eIder daughter, was married in 1855 to Mr William Capel Clarke and thereafter the family took the name Clarke-Thornhill. Several other streets in the village echo this union.

35 This handsome terrace running along Carr Road is opposite Victoria Park. The houses forming the top section are more splendid than their neighbours, with fine bay windows and large dormers. The next two sections differ from that section lower down, having some ornamentation over the doors. Two of the old gas lamps, which lit the road at this time, appear in the picture.

36 In the 1850s the Trustees of the Thornhill Estate laid out Calverley Woods with access drives, with a view to developing the estate and selling plots for 'gentlemen's houses'. Four smart lodges were built and the picture shows Carr Lodge, at the end of Clara Drive complete with railings and gates. The new drives through the wood interfered with certain ancient footpaths and as compensation Calverley gained a water supply to three parts of the village. The plan for the residential development of the wood never came to fruition and Carr Lodge became a private dwelling.

37 The Needles Eye, also known as Apperley Lodge andThornhill Lodge, was the most impressive of the lodges providing a grand entrance to the proposed estate of private villas. Viewed from the cutting it is just possible to see the expensive ramp road and new bridge built to give access over the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and the River Aire. Thornhill Drive is the one which turns east from Thornhill Lodge, passing in front of a large detached and then a pair of semi -detached houses, continuing through the wood until it joins up with Clara Drive. The Cutting was properly called Honoria Drive and linked Calverley to Apperley Bridge. Local people remembered how the caretakers would warn trespassers not to enter the private woodland. It was condemned on health and safety grounds and demolished in 1965/6 despite many villagers petitioning against it. The last resident Alice Hayworth was the first lady to live in the newly erected Brookleigh Old People's bungalows.

38 Calverley Lane, always referred to as Farsley Lane by the people of Calverley, was the direct road to Farsley. It is now bisected by the Leeds Outer Ring Road, constructed in the 197 Os, becoming a busy shortcut into the village avoiding delays at Rodley roundabout. This view shows the road from outside the gates leading to various substantial private houses: Hazelbrae built for Joseph Ross a Farsley mill owner, Thorne Dene, Heatherstone and Little Brooming. Apart from the gas lamps, the telegraph poles, and the absence of horse drawn traffic, little has been constructed in this part of the village as it is situated in the green belt.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek