Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 Elmwood was one of several mansions to be erected in Calverley by the wool men of the district. Built by the manufacturer Samuel Gray at the end ofthe 19'h Century it is positioned at the junction of Rodley and Calverley Lanes. The acre of land on which it stands was known as Foulsyke and had formerly belonged to the Vicar of Calverley. From 1912 to 1946 Elmwood was owned by the Gaunt family. The memorial in Calverley Churchyard says Mr Percy Gaunt was' deeply devoted to all educational and social movements for enriching the Jives of his fellow men'. Mrs Ethel Gaunt was instrumental in raising money for the building of the Guide Hut in Blackett Street in 1934, prior to this the group met in one of Elmwood's outbuildings. In later years the property was used as business premises until its conversion to a hotel and restaurant in 1999.

40 In this interesting postcard a well-dressed family pass through the Toll Bar for Calverley old Bridge, after paying the allotted fee at the lean-to 'office' built on to the Bar Keeper's cottage. Just above the lean-to can be seen the tariff board displaying al! the different rates payable before you were allowed to use the road. Additional casts were a serious business for same - the toll charge added four old pennies to the cast of each ton of coal for Holly Park Mills.

41 Another of Calverley's Grade II listed buildings is Calverley House Farm located on the northern side of the village. Built in 1806 for Mr Thomas Thornhill Of Fixby Park near Huddersfield, it was described as having 'the finest outlook in the Aire Valley'. Subsequently, in 1815, it was to become the birthplace of Samuel Cunliffe Lister later Lord Masham. He built Manningham Mills in Bradford and contributed substantially to the development of the textile trade in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Many a mil! owner escaped the smoke of Bradford to come to the clean air of Calverley.

42 Standing in a field, just off Town Gate, the photographer recorded a rural scene. its title 'Calverley Village' may seem a generalisation, but a study of the view would perhaps justify it. Beyond the smallholding in the foreground is Town Wells and the Village Green. Opposite the Green is the Thornhill Arms, with St Wilfrid's tower prominent above the trees. Most of the buildings still exist in one form or another, but the smallholding is believed to have been empty prior to World War 1. Semi-derelict buildings can still be recalled there in the mid-19 3 Os. These were finally demolished after World War H, modern housing taking their place. So, the picture can realistically be given the description 'Calverley Village' as it would have been in the early 2 O'" century

43 This picturesque scene of a shepherd in jacket, collar and tie, driving his flock sedately along Town Gate could not be further from the same view in modern times. He is approaching the notorious bend, near the Church, which leads into Carr Road probably going into his orchard which became the graveyard extension. It is unlikely there were many sheep in Calverley, as farms would be stocked mainly with cattle and oxen. Motor vehicles now fill the road and the school crossing wardens take their lives in their hands getting the children across. At least they do not have a flock of sheep to contend with! As with other pictures in this book, gas lamps are evident. In the middle distance stands the Thornhill Arms.

44 The top cottage of 'New Row' seen here (now 12 Woodhall Road) was far many years in the early 19m century the licensed meeting place far Calverley's Methodists. 'Isaac Beecroft's Chamber' as it was called was reached by an outside flight of steps leading to the blocked in doorway seen in the gable end. Although there were Methodists in Calverley from 1 764, the first purpose built chapel did not come until 1832. Early Methodists had carried a moveable pulpit around the village to anywhere that a congregation could gather, later meeting at Newsholme Farm before moving to Isaac Beecroft's Chamber.

45 The two stone gateposts shown here are al! that remain to mark the site of two buildings comprising the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Clarke Street. The first building was a small plain chapel erected in 1832 which soon became too small. A fine prominent new chapel with an adjoining school replaced it in 1862 with financial help coming from Samuel Grey of Elmwood, off Calverley Lane. A large Sunday School was added in 1925 but the Methodist Union of 1932 saw the buildings less used, with their subsequent demise in 1948. The Methodist movement then concentrated into their Church adjoining the Park in Carr Road.

46 This is a view down Carr Road, the 'handsome terrace' seen elsewhere in this book, Ref 35, is on the left. On the right in an elevated position is the Italianate Primitive Methodist Chapel, opened in 1872. Paid for by local families, in particular the Pearsons and the Pilleys, it cost ~2, 500 (much over estimate) excluding the land. The architect A.H. Thompson created a quietly impressive building, now Grade II listed. It replaced a humble building that had been used since 1840. Over the railings is Victoria Park. Between the man and the child is Chapel Street. The large square building further down the hill was used as home and business by one 'Putty' Elliot, a local plumber, also by the Goldsborough family of hauliers and coal merchants. In the distance is a row of weavers' cottages, mostly form storeys and immediately in front is Gatescroft where a ginner runs into Thornhill Street.

47 Photographed about 1900 this interesting gathering in Chestnut Grove is looking towards Rosebank, which is on Town Gate. Barraclough's buildings stood at the right prior to their demolition. It may well be for one of the splendid teas following the popular Whitsuntide Walks, where large numbers of people would parade wearing their new or very best clothes and there was much singing of special Whitsun' hymns and friendly games. Big hats were certainly the order of the day

48 Thomas Thornhill died in 1844leaving a family of three young daughters: Clara, Honoria Louisa and Eleanor Frances. Under Acts of Parliament the eldest, Clara, a Ward of Court, applied through her guardians to develop Calverley West Wood. Architect -drawn sketches show how the wood would have appeared, full of grand houses, and the Thornhill family laid out large sums of money to open up the wood. This involved building the lodges discussed elsewhere in this baak. Clara Drive was created with its bridge over the cutting blasting a new way to Apperley Bridge plus a new raad through the bottom up to the South Lodge and so through to Calverley Church. Several Bradford waal businessmen expressed interest in plots but no immediate deals were made. Despite the expenditure only one major site (Ferncliffe) was sold, being occupied by 1857.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek