Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 Heavy financial business losses in 1870 forced Samuel Laycock Tee, builder of Ferncliffe, to sell the estate to Briggs Priestley another Bradford manufacturer, first Member of Parliament for the new Pudsey Constituency A custom developed for local school children to walk down to Ferncliffe for garden parties and summer events, of ten attended by Calverley Brass Band. In the late 1890s Kumar Shri Ranjitsinjhi (Jam) the famous India, England and Sussex cricketer was a regular visitor, with local lads climbing rocks in the cutting to get a glimpse of the great man practising. Sold again in 1909 to Mr Fred Foster; yet another wool man, Alderman and Lord Mayor of Bradford, it was requisitioned by the Army in World War II as an Officers' Mess and unfortunately that was exactly how they left it. Subsequently bought by Francis Garnett in 1946 a large-scale restoration was undertaken by Thomas Obank & Son of Thackley Sir Leonard Cheshire acquired the property in the 1960s and it became known as Champion House, following the filming there of a BBC television drama about a fictional wool man Joe Champion.

50 These two photographs of Calverley Church of England School, above and facing page, show boys and girls lined up separately in the schoolyard, with schoolmaster and mistress in close attendance. How neat the children look, boys in knickerbockers suits and girls in their white pinafores. It is summer 1905; one boy has a cricket bat and a few sun hats can be seen. The two buildings behind the girls are now linked by a section added in more recent times along with another extension. The Headmaster's house was in the lower building for a time.

51 The first long established St Wilfrid's School was actually located in the churchyard, to the east of the Church. Sir Walter Calverley recorded in his diary that he attended the school for six years, starting in 1675. In 1840 the school was demolished and rebuilt outside the churchyard. A short time later, on a visit, the Lord of the Manor disapproved of the position and it was pulled down. The building in the picture was opened on Whit' Monday l0'" June 1878 at a cast of f, 1 ,600 as a memorial to the Rev. Alfred Brown who had served the villagers for 31 years.

52 This forerunner of the modern mini-cab is parked outside Shell Lane Farm. On the left is an arched doorway which led to the stable and the house where lived Pearson Kirk and his family In addition to running the farm and milk round, he had the initiative to introduce a taxi service. It ran mainly to and from the Calverley & Rodley and Apperley Bridge railway stations. He also provided a funeral service, and a coach service using a charabanc. With wooden seats and solid tyres, even a short trip to the station would not have been comfortable. A trip to the coast would have been daunting but at least there was a hood to put up in case of inclement weather! Another sign of Pearson?s enterprise is that he was one of the first in the village to have a telephone installed. He allowed people to use it before the installation of a public phone box in the village.

53 Cabby (Charles) Fisher was one of seven children whose family lived at the Lodge to Calverley Grange. His father Robinson was recorded in the 1881 Census as being the Head Coachman at The Grange, the home of Mr Yewdall Gaunt a prominent wool merchant. Cabby was sufficiently enterprising to start a coach service to and from the Calverley Bridge Station. This early photograph, probably taken in about 1883, shows The old Laithe coach house which was on The Green with the doorway facing in the Rodley direction. The building was demolished around the time of the First War.

54 The Hedna 'Bus Company was the first of the modern services to run through Calverley It travelled between Rodley and Yeadon, calling at Calverley and Greengates en route. In time the service was taken over by the Blythe & Berwick Company and they, in their turn, were taken over by the Harrogate Road Car Company Even so the service did not run for any great length of time. The service began on 27th July 192 2 and this is the 5.45 pm bus. KU 664 is standing outside number 1 Victoria Street. The doorway to Grimshaw's butchers shop is in the background.

55 A fine pair of draught horses each using traditional ploughing harness and chains assist the ploughman in cutting a de ep furrow in a field by Calverley Lane, a rural view taken in April 1904. Perhaps he was employed by Zacharia Yewdall who lived at Brookfield and his father David, who built The Grange in 1859, for they owned a great deal of land on either side of Calverley Lane. Are they posing for the camera or taking a well earned rest?

56 Calverley Cutting was created in 1856 by the Thornhill family to replace the old packhorse track through Calverley to Apperley Bridge. This ancient way wound through the woods which the Thornhill family intended to develop with superior villas - it therefore had to go despite objections being made at a public meeting. The remains can still be traced in Calverley Woods. The replacement 'Cutting' was well named as it cut through solid rock before dropping very steeply down into the valley Complaints were made that 'it was almost impossible for a weakly person to ascend' whereas the old winding way through the woods 'was pleasant and had some of the finest prospects in Yorkshire'.

57 This unusual rock formation in Calverley Woods is an interesting example of the local millstone grit having been weathered by wind and frost in the harsh climate change following the lee Age. It can be reached by following the footpath along the top of the wood behind the gardens of the houses in Clara Drive. An old village belief was that a nearby cave was the ghostly haunt of Walter Calverley and his headless horse who might terrify local people with their appearances. These superstitions seem to have died out by 1820, though 100 years later local children were still being warned not to venture into the woods at night for fear of seeing 'Old Calverley'.

58 This photograph was taken at the junction of Capel Street and Shell Lane. From here the street goes down to join Town Gate. The picture carries the title 'The Poplars' and those trees are in fine array on the right hand side alongside elegant railings. The nearest house on the right was at one time the home of Torn child, 'The Yorkshire Tenor'. Later Dr Pyecraft lived there. Is that one or other of them in the picture? Two gas lamps can be seen, one at each side of the road. Originally lit by the lamplighter, a man who walked the streets with a long pole to ignite the gas, eventually they came on automatically

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek