Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 Only the Lodge and imposing gateposts remain on the junction of Calverley Lane and Town Gate to indicate the entrance to the fine Victorian mansion Brookleigh. Built in 1874 for Thomas Hollings Gray, a mil! owner of Kirkstall in Leeds, Gray was a generous benefactor to Calverley and in particular to the Parish Church. On the death of his widow in 1895, Edwin Woodhouse of Farsley, later to be Mayor of Leeds, bought the property In 1958 the property proved impractical to convert into a residential home and Brookleigh was therefore demolished to make way for sheltered accommodation.

60 The old Vicarage is a very fine Grade II listed building, being the second vicarage to be built in Calverley Erected in 1886 at a cost of f,3, 350 it is in the early 17m century style of architecture. Replacing an earlier building on the site dated 1587, which had to be demolished due to its unsanitary condition, the cost of this second vicarage was met partly by subscription and partly from a very successful bazaar. Inside, the galleried staircase remains along with old decorative leaded windows, inscribed to indicate that they came from Calverley old Hall. All windows are double-chamfered mullions and there are many other architectural features on the exterior of the building including fleur-de-Iys and hoodmolds.

61 Although the houses still remain in Well Head (seen here labelled Well Terrace) Carr Road is much changed. St Wilfrid's tower is plainly visible in this view down to the bend as is the gable end of the splendid semi-detached buildings on the left going into Town Gate. Again, a gas lamp stands sentinel outside Jim Lee's farm and smithy, now long gone. Many smartly dressed children are in the photograph; perhaps they are leaving the Church School after lessons have ended. Some may have just left Grimshaw's sweet shop with its three 'bulls-eye' windows. The footpath is raised at the lower end to compensate for the slope of the road.

62 This elevated view of the Recreation Ground, possibly photographed from the balcony of the Conservative Club, shows part of Victoria Park. In the background beyond the line of Salisbury Street the roof, chimney and water tower of Clover Greaves Mill (Grimshaw Bros) can be seen. Further away is the chimney of Lydgate Mills (Walton's). The shadows cast by the young trees suggest early evening, but where are the people? Is it Sunday when the park gates are locked? Sycamore trees have been a part of the Park from its early days, there being more than 100 supplied by Samuel Margerison. The Bowling Club and Cricket Club pavilions can be clearly seen and just behind the trees in the foreground is the football pitch which during World War II was ploughed up as part of the 'Dig for Victory' campaign.

63 This unique Ruskin-inspired house standing near the top of Calverley Cutting was built around 1897 by one of Calverley's best-known local historians, Samuel Margerison. As well as translating the Calverley Charters from Latin to English, he also transcribed the early Calverley parish registers, all of which have subsequently been published. This was his hobby! By profession he was a timber merchant, with a reputation as one of the first authorities on forestry in the North of England. An ardent botanist, Margerison designed his own garden at Grey Gables, complete with waterfall, a scaled model of Ingleton's Thornton Force. The Botanical Garden in Bradford's Lister Park is also his work. Margerison died a bachelor at the relatively early age of 5 9, sadly having been forced to sell his beloved Grey Gables some years before. His obituary in the Leeds Mercury stated he had 'collected much historical information and made many drawings for a history of Calverley which he was fated never to write'.

64 The Thornhill Arms, at the corner of Blackett Street and Town Gate, is Calverley's oldest inn. Inside is a date stone inscribed '1673 WC', the latter being the initials of Calverley's Lord of the Manor, Walter Calverley The Cuttell family were landlords for a number of generations, to be followed by the Spence family Until 1834 the hostelry was known as The Leopard but in that year it was rebuilt and the name changed to The Thornhill Arms, the Thornhills having acquired the manor from the Calverley family The inn has traditionally been used for gatherings such as the Calverley Church Bellringers' dinners, and meetings of the Ancient Order of Shepherds' Friendly Society In the 1870s, under Joseph Woodhead, it was advertised as having good facilities for 'picnics' with 'water-cresses grown on the premises' and 'pleasure gardens complete with a croquet lawn'.

65 The New Inn public house stands on Carr Raad, part of the busy A65 7 Keighley to Leeds road. Although not of great historical interest, it remains a popular local hostelry serving fad and having a small beer garden. Believed to have been built in the 1860s and named after Calverley's new mil!, the Inn was first mentioned in the Census Returns for Calverley in 1871. A 52 year aId widow Ann Batt was listed as the licensed victualler. Her son and daughter lived with her, as did an Irish domestic servant named Catherine Bennett. For many years The Ancient Order of Foresters met in the upstairs roam. Also meeting in an upstairs roam at sometime was the 1" Calverley Guide Company It was formed by Miss Irene Walton later Mrs John Holliday with their Certificate of Registration as a Guide Company dated December 1914.

66 Samuel Gray, builder of Elmwood, had his earlier home on Woodhall Road with his warehouse behind. He was a prominent supporter of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, allowing the use of the upper floor of his warehouse for a Sunday School from around 1838. Purpose built accommodation was then erected offClarke Street. The warehouse was later extended for Seth Pilley, a wool and waste dealer, then living on Rushton Street. Notice how the steps up to the taking-in door survive in this photograph. In the late 1900s the whole row was developed into attractive cottage type dwellings becoming known as Capel Court.

67 This rural scene shows part of Shell Lane, an ancient way from Calverley, through the hamlets of Priesthorpe and Owlcotes, to Pudsey In some places the old causey stones remain. For hundreds of years it would be well trodden by sombre funeral processions and festive wedding parties making for Calverley Parish Church. The name, mentioned as early as 1693, remains something of a mystery, although a Farsley diarist in the 18 60s referred to the lane as 'Shale Larie'. Following Calverley's Enclosure Act of 1755 it was closed as a public road (there were said to be alternative routes over Woodhall and along Farsley Lane) but it continued to be used as a footpath and bridleway and is still enjoyed by many walkers and horse-riders.

68 People throng the area around the new Headquarters for Guides and Brownies in Blackett Street in 1934 to see the official opening performed by Mrs R H Blackburn. She used a gold key presented to her by Miss Gill, 1" Calverley Guide Captain. Brownie Sixer Kathleen Pilley presented Mrs Blackburn with a bouquet of flowers. Amongst those present were Mrs 0 Lupton, Division Commander for Leeds B; Dr Laura Beale, Division Commissioner for Harrogate, and Mrs Percy Gaunt. During the proceedings Mrs Gaunt was presented with a gold Thanks Badge in recognition of all the kindness she had shown to Calverley Guides during the last few years. It was a day that was long remembered. In the background of this photograph can be seen the old Workhouse buildings.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek