Calverley in old picture postcards

Calverley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jackie Depelle
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:  
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6753-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Calverley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69 Parkside School was established in 1864 as the Wesleyan Day School, held in the Sunday School. At first children had to pay weekly 'school pence' but with the statutory abolition of elementary school fees in 1891 trustees were faced with f,60 a year to find, eventually letting the Calverley & Farsley School Board take over. By 1900 the premises had become inadequate and the Board built the present school. Casting f,4,000 it accommodated 264 children, and was designed by W & J B Bailey Large crowds attended the official opening, including the local M.P. Briggs Priestley who lived at Ferncliffe in Calverley The headmaster wrote in the schoollogbook 'it is a most delightful change from the old buildings'. This picture, taken in about 1988, shows the extensions built in the 1960s to accommodate extra children following a baby boom.

70 It is difficult to imagine that this peaceful scene on the banks of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal is only about five miles from the busy centre of Leeds. The view is little changed, although the current barges are now converted for recreational use and there is far more undergrowth on the Calverley Woods' side of the canal. The barge on the right is steam-powered although on the left you can see a barge horse apparently drawing another barge, which is just out of the picture. The canal was built as a broad canal, allowing two barges to pass. Begun in 1770 it took 46 years to complete. The eastern end, passing through Calverley, was opened with great pageantry in June 1777. There are 92 lacks in the canal's 120 miles, a horse-drawn barge making the journey in about a week.

71 This photograph, taken at the junction of Town Gate and Back Lane, shows part of the Thornhill Arms in the right foreground. Back Lane was renamed Blackett Street in 1915 commemorating Calverley's connection with the Blackett family of Wallington, Walter Calverley having changed his name to Blackett on his marriage into that family in the mid 1700s. A blacksmith's forge once stood on the left, on the site of Chestnut Grove. Village tradition maintains that this was the inspiration far the American poet Henry Longfellow's poem 'The Village Blacksmith'. The wards 'here the so reading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands' are thought to relate to the tree which overshadowed the forge. The poem was published in 1841, Longfellow having previously visited England, probably staying far a time with relatives in Harsfarth.

72 Lodge Farm was built by Walter Calverley in approximately 1690 and about 1880 James Margerison restored it. It was built around an oak tree, carved and polished, which stands as a column through the house from the hall to the attic. In the parlour is a huge fireplace with 1881 carved into the wooden mode, probably the date of Margerison's restoration. In the early 1770s some of the farm's land was taken to build the Leeds and Liverpool Canal which opened at the Leeds end in 1777. This resulted in a reduction of the rates paid by Joseph Popplewell, the occupant at the time.

73 Pearson Kirk's fine funeral hearse, with its beautifully groomed horse and equally well turned out driver, is pictured here outside the Baptist Church in Farsley Pearson Kirk, along with his family, occupied Shell Lane Farm situated at the junction of Shell Lane and Woodhall Road. As well as running the farm, and the hearse, Pearson supplied a taxi service to the two local railway stations at Calverley & Rodley and Apperley Bridge.

74 In this picture taken on Woodhall Road, midway between the village and Woodhall Hamlet, we see the stile used throughout the years by local people. It is a very effective short-cut for walkers and it climbs up and over the hill before descending into Priesthorpe Lane. This route is referred to as 'over Jack Lea': The origins of this name are lost in time but perhaps there was a certain Jack Lee living thereabouts or was it a description of the land? The fields are now used by a local farmer for grazing and the word 'lea' describes a meadow, arable land or pasture. The seat shown was in position until the late 20'h century, and the tree depicted was part of the avenue of beach trees planted on Woodhall Road, most of which have been felled.

75 This inscription is carved in stone on a tablet over the door to the Sunday School in Woodhall Hills Hamlet, commemorating the erection of the building and the aims of the villagers at that time. Sunday School, Prayer and Bible Study Meetings were held here as well as children's parties and local celebrations, and at times the building was used as a rehearsal room for local amateur dramatics. When teaching came to an end it was sold at auction by the Charity Commissioners on 29'" February 1980. The proceeds were put into a trust fund for local causes and the benefit is still felt. Within the building a' gospel stone' with a biblical inscription is still in place.

76 This wintry scene shows the imposing old Hall at Woodhall Hills. The hamlet of Woodhall Hills was first recorded in 1265, the people being almost wholly involved in farming, cloth making and, later, quarrying. The old Hall was the home of the Richardson family George died in 1696 and John followed him in 1719. Following the move of the Calverley family to Esholt in 1666, the Richardsons became the leaders of Calverley Parish for 60 years. In the 19m century it was the home of the Peckover family who were bankers in Bradford.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek