Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian L. Cormack
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lanarkshire, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2884-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cambuslang in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Kirkhill was probably the oldest inhabited area in the parish and from early days a place of public resort. The Old Kirkhill Brae (now Vicarland Road) was a very steep aseent in the nineteenth century and many generations of worshippers ascended the hill to the church to worship. The spire of the Old Parish Church can be seen in the background.

10. Kirkhill School showing a crowd of studious scholars gathered outside the building in the early years of the century. It was built by the Cambuslang School Board which was constituted on 10 April 1873 and was opened during the 1880's to cater for the rapid rise in population with the opening of Hallside Steel Works and subsequent new coal pits. On the opening of the ncw Gateside School after W orld War I, it was used as an annexe for pupils of St. Bride's School.

11. This scene was taken at the turn of the century during the opening of Kirkhill Bowling Green which is situated in Stewarton Drive, Cambus1ang, with the usual crowds of mem bers present for such an occasion. The Green was founded in 1906 just for men on1y, but the 1adies were admitted six years later to give complete equality of play.

12. The Golf House of Kirkhill Golf Club is pictured here befare World War land has undergone many alterations and additions since. The Club was founded in 1910 and celebrates its seventy-fifth anniversary in 1985. The course is situated in Greenlees Raad and part of it extends up to the East Kilbride Raad.

13. A view of old houses at Howieshill, taken in 1908, at the east end towards Hamilton Road. Howieshill Road was named after Mr. John Howison, minister at Cambuslang 01d Parish Church from 1580-1618. He was responsible for founding a school between 1580 and 1590, providing a bell for worshippers and helping to establish a hospital at Hamilton.

14. Cadoc Street was named after Cambuslang's 'Patron Saint', who reputed1y built his monastery in the Kirkhill area during the sixth century. This 1890's view illustrates the old type of housing, with the old Masonic Hall being the last building on the left. The street has now been renamed Glebe P1ace.

15. Station Square was situated in Mam Street near the junction with West Coats Road and was replaced before World War I by the property known as Hillside Terrace, belonging to Mr. William Eadie of 'Cairndene', Cambuslang. Note the ornate gas lamp on William Cook's premises, the lamplighter ('leerie') and the railway signal box to the extreme right of the view.

16. Station Square in this 1890's view was usually a scene of bustle as well as being a meeting place for various activities, including performing bears and the like. The ornate water fountain, pictured here, has its iron drinking cups securely chained to it for security purposes. Note the heavy horse-drawn traffic which is causing a fair amount of congestion in the Main Street here.

17. The Hole Srnithy as depicted about 1895, this being situated at the terminus near the Gasworks. This was originally the Carnbuslang Gas Light Cornpany being forrned in 1854 and taken over by Lanark County Council in the 1920's. The srnith was narned Sinclair and shows Harnilton Road at its former level before this was changed, the road being constructed in the eighteenth century.

18. Here is portrayed a parade of the Shepherds Friendly Society held in Hamilton Road at the Old Smithy which was the later terminus of the Lanarkshire Tramways Company, the view being taken about 1900. Note the band, the banner, the police and the barefoot children who are all pictured in this view.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek