Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian L. Cormack
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lanarkshire, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2884-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cambuslang in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. A view of Hamilton Road at Cambuslang Toll- with the Tollhouse seen on the lefttaken during the 1920's. The building on the right was a small shop known as 'PeaWillie's' and the public house in the middle distance belonged to Matthew Forsyth, Matta as he was known locally, Note the Sunrise Albion lorry steadily outpacing the horse and cart in the background.

MA IN STREET, CAMBUSLANG

20. Main Street as it was in the 1920's and looking down from Greenlees Road corner on the left towards Rosebank Church in the distance. A clock at the top of this corner building was made by Rodger, the jeweller of Bank Street, but being reluctant to service it, James McNicol had the job of winding it and all for the princely sum of Is. (Sp) per week!

21. The top of Main Street as seen in the early years of the century and taken at the well-known Scoular's Corner. This building was originally built as an hotel, hence the ornate marbie pillars which can be quite visibly seen. Note the solitary policeman and a crowd of children attracted by the photographer, also the tramway overhead wires attached to rosettes on the building to obviate the need for traction poles on the pavement.

22. This scene depiets Main Street looking towards the top and near to the tram terminus. The tenement buildings on the north side, being to the left in the view, were built in the 1870's and replaced much older habitations. A motor driven vehicle can be seen to the right, though horse-drawn traffic predominates, with one fin ding the going easy up the hill by using the tram rails!

. vî ai« Street. Cambuslaue,

"CL..I ???? c e lf:J ~aA'C'S ?

23. This view of the Main Street in the very early 1900's shows the Caledonian Railway Station on the right and Rosebank United Free Church on the 1eft and before it acquired its tower. The trams have not yet arrived (1903) but preparations are being made as the traction poles for the overhead wires have been put into position, though the lines are not yet down.

24. A fairly busy Main Street, pictured in the 1920's, showing on the left Rosebank Church (now complete with tower) which opened ab out 1900 on the site of the Free Church erected in 1856 and removed in 1898. On the right can be seen the Railway Station, formerly that of the Caledonian Railway (Clydesdale Junction Railway) but being changed to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway from 1923.

25. Rosebank Dyeworks, as pictured in this 1890's view, originally belonged to the Sommervell family of Som in Ayrshire, Sommervell Street as seen on the right being named after them. A bell was rung to summon the workers to work each moming, these being mostly women. At a later stage, the United Turkey Red Company of Alexandria in Dunbartonshire owned the factory.

26. The Toll Pit was situated at the top of Hamilton Road, being quite a loca11andmark, where a busy scene is depicted in this 1890's view. There is much evidence of activity such as the slag heap, pit props and a maze of railway lines to transport the coa1 from the pit for the booming iron and steel trade at that time, though the mining of coal dated back to 1750 and much earlier.

27. Workers of the Wellshot Brewery Company Limited suitably posed on the premises in the early years of the century and surrounded by the wares and equipment of their trade. The Brewery was situated in Dukes Raad, Cambuslang, near the present County Inn, and conducted a thriving business in the loeal area, one of their horse-drawn wagons being seen in Regent Street, Rutherglen.

28. At Newton, Cambuslang, stood a low line of factory buildings within a few yards of the railway. This was the works of the C1yde Nail Company Limited, sole makers of dog spikes and nails for all purposes from the 1890's. The view shows one of the bays of the nail making department, a real hive of activity, with the finished products ready and bagged up for delivery where required.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek