Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian L. Cormack
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lanarkshire, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2884-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cambuslang in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Westburn Farm seen in its peaceful and agricultural setting in the 1890's. On the whoie, most farms at this time comprised of an average size of 108 acres. Grazing was availab1e for sheep and cows, and nearly all the wheat, potatoes, vegetables, dairy produce and forced rhubarb, the area being well-known for the latter, was sold in neighbouring Glasgow at the mark ets there.

30. The Free Church was situated on the north side of Main Street, being built in 1856 by some of those who attended the Secession Church (1840) and other parties. It was removed in 1898 and was replaced by a new building about 1900 under the designation of Rosebank United Free Church, designed by Cousin of Edinburgh. It became Rosebank Church of Scatland on the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland in 1929.

ยท .~.

31. The Old Parish Church in its sy1van setting at Kirkhill was opened on 6 Ju1y 1841, having taken eighteen months to complete and replaced the previous building, erected in 1743. The church was built at a cost of !.3,300 and had 950 sittings. The architect was David Cousin of Edinburgh, at this time supervising the building of three other parish churches in Scot1and. He was also the architect for the offices of the Free Church erected in North Bank Street, Edinburgh and the housing estates of Mayfie1d and Craigmillar, among other projects.

32. An Industria1 School for Girls was erected on a site gifted by the Duke of Hamilton in the ear1y 1860's, the cast of the building, which was raised by public subscription, being t440. In 1884, it was converted into the first church hall for the Old Parish Church at a cast of t75 and in 1897 it was finally demolished to provide a site for the present halls of the church, opened that year.

33. Cambuslang Baptist Church is situated in Greenlees Road and the foundation stone was laid in 1891. The church was opened on 12 May 1895 and was built at a cost of f.2,500 which was paid partly by the issue of subscription shares of one shilling (Sp), this raising the sum of f.800 and a great effort in those days,

34. The West Parish Chureh was built and opened during the middle of 1889 in the Janebank area of Cambuslang. It originated from the mission congregation whieh worshipped in a temporary building known as the Iron Chureh at Eastfield, then under the auspiees of Rutherglen Parish Chureh. On the opening of the West Church, the former Iron Chureh was onee again ereeted at Newton to serve as a temporary strueture there.

35. A view of St. Paul's United Free Church taken from Hamilton Drive in the first decade of the century. The church was opened in 1904, with an entrance in Hamilton Drive and another in Bushyhill Street off Greenlees Road beside the old Subscription School which was opened in 1848 and is now a place of worship.

36. The origin of Cambuslang Institute in Greenlees Road dated back to 1885 when a 'Social Union' was formed to improve the village's social and intellectual outlook, this being held in a sm all kitchen behind a butcher's shop in the Main Street. The first phase of the building was opened on 1 October 1892 and the last and third phase constructed ab out 1906.

37. Main Street, with car 426 approaching the terminus, as it appeared about 1905. The G1asgow Corporation Tramways service was extended from Farme Cross to Cambuslang on 2 December 1903, a great day for the village. Cambuslang Gas Works can be seen in the background, being formed in 1854 and having a Committee of Management, shares in 1877 being worth 25s. (.f:1.25). It was taken over by Lanark County Council in the 1920's.

38. I.W.R. Torrance of Hamilton was one of the many private bus operators who set up in business after World War I. The Company ran buses through Blantyre and Cambuslang to Glasgow, this Albion bus being pictured in 1926. It was the Company's proud boast that there was a five minute service on the Cambuslang route and much better than provided in these modem times!

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek