Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian L. Cormack
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lanarkshire, South
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2884-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cambuslang in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The paddling pool, which was situated within the Public Park, Cambuslang, was very much favoured by the children, especially during the lang school holidays in summer. The Park, which has an area of 14 acres and having the Borgie Glen forming part, was officially opened on Saturday 28 June 1913 by the wife of Parish Councillor D.G. Cormack, Convener of the Parks Committee.

50. Cairns House was the hub and centre of the Caïrns estate which was purchased in the 1850's by John P. Kidston, who built the house there. The entrance and lodge was off Hamilton Road opposite Gateside Pit and the back gate was in Cairns Road. A later owner was Andrew Clark, who was Joint Mariaging Director of the C1yde Paper Mill in Rutherglen.

51. This view of the 1890's depiets the entrance to the Cairns estate from the sta bles at Tanzieknowe, which was off Cairns Road and opposite the later Public Park. In 1872, a chirning doek was placed above the stables by James Muirhead and Sons, Glasgow, who also provided one earlier for the Parish Church.

52. This scene of the 1890's depiets the cottages at the Cairns, Tanzieknowe and shows quite clearly the clock on the stables building. Thus, with the Parish Church clock also, from the 1870's there were clocks and both by the same maker, at both ends of Cairns Road helping the speeding travelIer to catch the train at Kirkhill Station!

-- - :.-- ~

53. Wellshot House was built in 1806 by John More, cashier of the Royal Bank, at a total cast of ;t17,000. From the office of the bank in St. Andrew's Square 'a splendid equipage with black footman used to drive More out to the fine house he had built himself at Wellshot'. The house was purchased in 1841 by Thomas Gray Buchanan, feudal superior of the nearby lands, and was later converted into flats at its site in Milton Avenue.

..... -

<:

54. The Avenue leading up to Wellshot House opened off the main road a few yards west from Silverbanks Brae. This Avenue (later Buchanan Drive) curved upwards to the Wellshot (mid) lodge which is pictured here with its thatched roof at what later became the west end of Central Avenue.

55. Buchanan Drive pictured in the early years of the century with its gas lamps, peaceful look and well appointed stone built suburban housing, and originally led up to Wellshot House. It was named after Thomas Gray Buchanan, a later owner of Wellshot House in 1841, with estates at Eastfield, Scotstoun and Stonelaw in Rutherglen Parish, as wen as being feudal superior of the nearby lands.

lL Lithgow, Cambal51sng.

56. Wellshot Drive, pictured at its junction with Buchanan Drive, and as it was in the 1890's. Aptly named after the nearby Wellshot House, an avenue led up to the sta bles and the back of the house, this avenue being crossed by Wellshot Drive and was still in existence in the 1920's. The drive also housed the private school of the Misses Anderson which was operating in 1877.

.-'

- -~. - j-

."

57. Brownside Road, approaching its junction with Buchanan Drive, is pictured here in its peaceful setting at the turn of the century, with one girl and her dog. The fairly high wall seen on the right formed part of the boundary of the Gray Buchanan estate. To-day, the road is part of a busy traffic conneetion between Cambuslang and Burnside, running parallel to the Kirkhill and Burnside railway line.

. - -.-.:" - ..

58. Halfway, Cambuslang pictured before World War I with crowds posing as ever when a photographer is in evidence. It was safe in those days to stand in the middle of the road and bestraddie the tram tracks, even though this was on the main road from Glasgow through Rutherglen and then on to Blantyre, Hamilton and Motherwell.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek