Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Cambuslang in old picture postcards

:   Ian L. Cormack
:   Lanarkshire, South
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2884-1
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cambuslang in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. It was reputed that some F1emings from Flanders in Belgium made their way to Scotland during the twelfth century and settled in the area, thus giving Flemington its name. In 1787 a cotton mill was established, but by 1836 it had been given up and was used as a barn. This view of Flernington Rows on the main raad dates from about 1910, the only traffie being one of the Lanarkshire trams seen in the distance.

60. The photographer attracts a large and interested audience in the main raad through Lightburn at the turn of the century. The village dated from the middle of the eighteenth century and by 1836 had its own school, having forty-seven pupils. The total number of inhabitants th en was in the region of one hundred and nineteen, though this subsequently increased over the years.

61. A view of the village of Carmy1e taken in the 1890's and as seen across the C1yde from Cambuslang. The origins of the village date from a muslin factory which was erected about 1741. There was a ferry between Clydesmill, Cambuslang and Carmy1e. A public house, named the 'Auld Baat Hoose', was a relic of this service. Clydesmill itse1f dates back to the sixteenth century with a mention of the Mill in 1662, this still being extant in the nineteenth century.

62. It is interesting to note that the Jardines of Hallside and 1atterly of Hallside House, built in 1790, had early associations with Dalton in Dumfries, and thus they gave the name to the collection of houses beside their residence. This 1890's view depiets MI. Anderson's smithy at Dalton, then a real hive of activity.

63. Westburn House was built in 1685, the estate and lands, belonging to the Hamilton family and extending to 35 acres, dated back from the beginning of the seventeenth century till about 1827. In the later nineteenth century, the house passed to John Graham Barns Graham of Cambuslang and Craigallian, whose family were local landowners in the parish since 1784. Still remaining is the dovecote of the house, situated now within Cambuslang Golf Course.

64. The game of golf, which has flourished for over four hundred years, has always been a popular pastime in Lanarkshire. This view, typical of the various tartan bordered cards produced before World War I, shows Cambuslang Golf Club which was founded in 1892 and in particular the unique hexagonal shaped old dovecote of Westburn House near where curling used to take place in winter.

65. The coachman's house which guarded the approaches to Rosebank House is seen here in the 1890's. A long avenue which led to the house opened off the road between Eastfield and the foot of Silverbanks Brae. An odd wall of the house still remains to this day.

66. Rosebank House and estate was owned at the end of the eighteenth century by John Dunlop, merchant in Glasgow. In 1801 the house was sold to David Dale (farnous founder of New Lanark), who died there in 1806. The Clydesdale Junction Railway obtained the estate in 1845, later in 1853 selling part to Thomas Gray Buchanan of WeIlshot and Colin and James Dunlop ofthe Clyde Iron Works, who sold theirs to John Bain of Morriston.

67. Morriston House pictured in its peaceful setting in the 1890's. The Morriston estates were owned by the Stewart family in the seventeenth century, later by others, including the Maxwell family in the eighteenth century and ultimately passing in the 1820's to John Bain, well-known as the owner of the Glasgow coaches which ran throughout the country from the mail-coach office at 64 Trongate, The Bain family retained possession of the house until the later nineteenth century, when it passed to various tenants.

68. Johnstone Villa in North Avenue was purchased by the father and mother of the later Sir Thomas Lipton about 1876, being named after his mother who was a Miss J ohnstone before her marriage. Whilst he lived there, Sir Thomas had the reputation of possessing the best pair of driving horses in the county. In 1903, the owner of the house was Mr. William Love, one time manager for Sir Thomas, being later gifted to the Cambuslang Nursing Association.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek