Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Annie L. Thompson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Angus
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1146-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

lOThese eighteenth-century weavers' cottages with stoneslate roofs were formerly thatched. They still stand, now much modernised. The old church of Barry, visible to the right ofthe dormer-windowed house, was demolished in the 1960s. The bank on which the houses stand is the old share line. Barry, once called Fothermuref or Fettermore, is now over a mile inland, but a prophecy artributed to Thomas the Rhymer states: 'The braes 0' Fettermore ha'e been a guid ship share. The braes 0' Fettermore again sall be a guid ship share.' Recently there are signs that the sand dunes which lie between Barry and

the Firth of Tay are being eroded.

BARRY VILLAGE.

11 This view of the west bank of the Barry Burn was taken in the early 1890s. None of the buildings seen here exists today. The white house with the dovecote was the Inn of Barry, now replaced by a 193 Os bungalow. The old parish school and dominie's house were demolished in 1896, the pupils having been transferred some years earlier to the former Free Church School. A church hall built on the site in 1902 has now also been taken down and a garden has been planted in its place. The church was knocked down in 1965, but as there was na means of getting through the churchyard to remave the rubble, it remains piled up there. Buried

under it are a number of mediaeval gravestones, recycled as floor paving when the church was renovated in 1820.

12 Oddly, this view taken from the same spot as the last, facing in the other direction, has altered very little in over a hundred years. The house on the left is the gate lodge of Ravensby, built in 1854. Barry post office and shop now stand where this picture shows a tree stump on the right. The Barry Burn once took a turn to the east just below the bridge. The road through the village still follows the burn's old course, with a sharp bend in front of Barry Church. During the eighteenth century David Moram, the farmer of Gedhall, straightened out the burn by digging a new course for it, in an attempt to prevent his fields being flooded. Al-

though it is nowadays heavily embanked, the burn still makes the occasional effort to return to its old bed.

Barry Bridge .. 7

13 The Dundee-Arbroath Railway, opened in 1 838, encouraged bath industry and tourism. A suburb grew up on the east side of the Lochty Burn on the lands of Newton ofPanbride. Large houses were built for the families of Dundee professional and business men who found it convenient to commute to the city by rail, while their wives and families had the benefit of sea -air, away from the smoke of the Dundee factories. Unusually for Scotland, a number of these house-sites were on 99-year lease instead of the more usual feu, sa this area used to be known as the Ninety-nines. Motor transport came later, but by 1905 automobiles were being built in

Carnoustie at George Anderson's iron works. The 'Dalhousie' car was built to order. When Mr. Anderson retired in 1912 the car-building was moved to Arbroath.

The RaiJway Crossing, Carnoustie

14 Golf was played on Barry Links as early as 1500, but there was no formal course. In 1838 Bobby Miliar, a keen golfer, came from St. Andrews to settle in Carnoustie. Along with a schoolrnaster called Mr. Spankie, he set about organising golf clubs at Barry and Carnoustie. David Hunter ofPitskelly got Robert Chambers, the Edinburgh publisher and golfing enthusiast, to help layout on Carnoustie Links a six-hole course with the first tee where the Bruce Hotel is now. From 1843 onwards several golf clubs were established in the town and the golf course was improved and extended as the reputation of Carnoustie's links and native golfers grew .

15 In 1889 Carnoustie became a Burgh with a Town Council and a Provost, David McCorquodale, a bank agent. A town crest was devised, showing a tree to represent Thomas Lowson's Dibble and a nest ofbirds - the 'craw's nestie ' pun on the tewn's name. The Latin motto meaning 'the sign is favourable' refers to the encouraging of the early settlers by the sprouting of the Dibble. Carnoustie was eventually granted a coat of arms in 1953, when the new motto was chosen, 'Stay the Course'.

16 Here are two ofCarnoustie's lost landmarks. Dalhousie Golf Club, built in 1864, was demolished in 1998 to make way for timeshare apartments. The Links Bandstand. for almast a hundred years a popular venue for outdoor concerts, was removed in the 197 Os after it becarne a target for vandals. Edwardian holidaymakers are seen on a Sunday aftemoon enjoying the musie of the Burgh Band. The bathchair is a reminder that Carnoustie was popular with convalescents seeking sea air to aid their recovery.

~lje ljanàstanà, Camoustte

1 7 Edwardian spectators are here watching a match on the Ladies' Course at Links Parade. When the Ladies' Club was founded in 1873 it was thought that wamen lacked the skill and stamina for anything more than six short holes. Wamen taak to the game with great enthusiasm and when the fashion changes of the twentieth century relieved them from the restrictions ofwhalebone corsets, long skirts and boater hats they soon showed they were equal to any course. The Ladies' Course was then turned into a putting green.

1 8 For over a hundred years for around 30,000 men Carnoustie has meant each year not golf and seaside, but military training. Fox Maule, Baron Panmure and later Earl of Dalhousie, was Secretary of State for War at the time of Crimea. He saw the need for well-trained volunteer regiments, and from the 1860s

onward allowed Buddon Ness to be used informally for artillery practice. In the late 1880s the area was bought by the War Department and a permanent training ground established in 1897. This picture shows sorne of the earliest users, men of the Forfarshire Volunteer Artillery with a field battery.

.. field Bacteries.·' al 8addoD GSlIIp

19 The Soldiers' Home, constructed entirely of corrugated iron, provided the men camped under canvas with off-duty refreshments, recreation and concert entertainments which were attended also by local residents. It was one of a number founded by Miss Williamina Davidson, a Sister of the Order of St. [ohn

Soldiers' ]fame, Barry eamp

of Jerusalem. Ir was demolished several years ago when the new building complex was erected at what is now Barry-Buddon Camp. On the left of this picture is one of the farm cottages of Cowbyres, an old farm swallowed up by the training ground.

20 Apart from the Soldiers' Home the Barry and Buddon Camps had na permanent buildings. All the camp activities taak place in the open air, including cooking with field kitchens. The bush hars, adopted by regiments who served in Africa, suggest that these men lined up with their

billy-cans may be Sappers of the Lanarkshire Royal Engineers Volunteers. Rations were basic. It's probable that the barrels contained salt herrings or salt park.

21 Barry and Buddon Camps had their own post office open only during the camping season - in an outbuilding attached to a farmhouse just north of Barry Station. Here men of a Highland regiment are reading their mail. All the men slept in bell tents like these seen here. Many

early Carnoustie postcards, not only of the camp, but of the town and beach, bear messages to the families of men camped at Barry and Buddon. Early postcards aften have printed on them the advice that any written messages are for inland postage only

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek