Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Annie L. Thompson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Angus
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1146-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

22 The date 16thAugust

191 6 is written on the back of this card showing a cavalry regiment striking camp. We can see that a wing has been added to the Soldiers' Home to cape with the added volume of men coming here for wartime training. Horses were still an important part of the army's equipment. They could haul guns and other loads over ground impassible

Sorry Camp

to motor vehicles. Army harses were boarded during the winter months by farmers all over Angus, who had the use of the animals in return for providing fodder and veterinary care. Each spring the harses were coilected in herds and driven to Barry. Here a train is seen waiting for the men, perhaps to carry them on the first part of a journey to the battlefields.

23 In 1914 Bombardier George Kirtley of the Highland Brigade Durham Regiment sent this card to teil his mother in Durham he had arrived safely at Buddon Camp and was in good spirits. although he had been on guard duty during the night and so was feeling rather sleepy. Perhaps it reassured her to know that the men marched each Sunday to Barry Church. Here

Coming from Church. Barry Camp.

they are returning over the railway at Barry Station, led by a pipe band and escorted by local children in their Sunday clothes. The field on the left appears to have been planted with potatoes, a erop much grown around Carnoustie, with the War Department a main buyer of the produce.

24 This hands ome Italianstyle building was erected in 1869 for the City of Glasgow Bank, which had an ageney in Carnoustie from 1856.After this bank's failure in 1887 the premises were oceupied by the North ofSeotland Bank and then up to the present by the Clydesdale Bank. This eard was sent in 1907 to Miss Annie Keates, Leek, Staffordshire, inviting her to come to Carnoustie for a holiday . The writer, who signed only with an initial, added 'and bring anybody else that would like to come. We will find room somewhere' .

25 Panbride Manse, built in 1864, is now a private house re-named Panbride Manor. It is said some of the stones used in building it came from the celi of the monk appointed in mediaeval times by the Abbot of Arbroath to minister to the parish. In later times Panbride was served by three generations of the Trail family, the Rev. RobertTrail from

1 71 7, his son Robert and grandsan David until 1844. Two generations of Caesars, James and [ohn, then served until 1 938. David Trail's sister Agnes became an Ursuline nun. As Sister Agnes Xavier she founded St. Margaret's Convent School in Edinburgh.

26 After the Disruption the break-away Free Chureh of Panbride worshipped first in a barn and then in a wooden building at Westhaven Farm until in 1854 the Earl of Dalhousie gave them stone from bis quarry to build a ehureh on the Gallowlaw, where malefaetors had onee been hanged. The ehureh was damaged by fire and rebuilt in 1887 to a design by james Mclaren. After the Reunification of 1929 it was known as Newton Panbride Parish Chureh. Now united with the former Panbride Chureh, the eongregation, known as Carnoustie Panbride Parish Chureh, use both buildings, worshipping in the older

ehureh during three months in summer and the rest of the year here.

Panbride United Pree Church, Cartroustie

27 Panbride House was built in 1856 for [ohn Dickson, owner of the bleachfield works established in the early 1840s. Linen yam was treated with vitriol from Tennant's Works at the other end of Carnoustie, then hung on wires to whiten in the sun befare being passed on to be woven at Smieton'sWorks. This artificial lake with water drawn from the Craigmill Burn served bath as omamental feature and as a reservoir for the bleachworks. A mill lade brought water from Craigmill Dam, behind the house to turn the wheel which powered the yam processing machinery. The remains of this baat ean still be seen, and the descendants of

the swans introduced by John Dicksan nest here each year. The former bleachworks area is now a small industrial estate.

28 This picture must have been taken just after the Mumeipal Buildings, designed by [ames Bruee, were ereeted in 1898, as just visible on the left is part of the shop of'Iane Paris, a game dealer. The following year this was replaeed by the bloek of shops and flats ealled Paris House. The street between was Point Lane, now ealled Loehty Street. [ust bebind the Municipal Buildings stood the Commercial Inn, formerly Point House, which was older than Carnoustie. It's said it was at the Point that Thomas Lowson purehased the ale, bread and eheese which he ate just before bis historie dream among the sandhills. The Commercial Inn was demol-

ished to provide the Municipal Buildings with a ear park.

29 Postmarked 1 901, this card shows the newly-built Paris House, The cottages on the right were demolished some years later to make way for Strachan's Garage. At one time all of Carnoustie's main thoroughfare was called Dundee Street, but later the eastern section was re-named High Streel. Note that the roadway is unpaved. It was quite usual for early postcards to have the message written on the same side as the picture, with on the back the address only. Like many others of this period, this card was produced by Valentine Ltd. of Dundee.

Dundee Street, Carnoustie

30 The Dalhousie Hotel in Church Street was famous for its fish dinners. It was extended in the 1850s by its owner, Miss MaryWatson. It was the first hotel in the town to install bathrooms, at a time when these were unusual in all but the most luxurious of private homes. This card is postmarked 1907.Thehotel was demolislied some years aga, following a fire. A courtyard group of villas and flats has recently been erected on its site. Carnoustie still has a Dalhousie Hotel, a farmer doctor's residence, originally called Dalhousie Villa, in the High Streel.

DALHO!JSII: HOTEL. CAAHOU6TIE.

A. BARNSON~ PROPRIeTOR.

31 The original Bruce's Hotel was in Church Street. In 1 892 Miss Mary Bruce built a very large hotel on the Links. It featured 'large Dining and Drawing Rooms, Private Parlours, Smoking and large Bilhard Room with every Modern Convenience'. The Bruce Hotel, as it was later known, was visited by many celebrities, including film star Bob Hope. Closed in 1982, it has been converted into flats. The small building on the right was the hotellaundry. Behind it can be seen the steeple of the old parish church.

Bruce Hotel,

noustie

VaJentÎ%les Seri

32 Built in 1840, the Railway Hotel was later renamed the Panmure Arms by permission of Lord Panmure, who later became Earl of Dalhousie. For many years now it has been the Station Hotel, but its recently-constructed function rooms, built where this picture shows a conservatory, have the name of The Panmure Suite. The donkey cart seen in this picture may be bringing from the beach a load of seaweed, much used by Carnoustie gardeners as a fertiliser. The road is an unpaved sandy track, as were many of Carnoustie's side streets, weil into the twentieth century.

d>allmure dl ms and Station cJeote! Carnoustie

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek