Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Annie L. Thompson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Angus
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1146-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

33 A later view shows the name Station Hotel. A line of George Ness's motor taxi-cabs awaits train arrivals, with a horse-drawn cab also available for anyone preferring more traditional transport. The Carnoustie Coal and Lirne Cornpany's depot on the left has nowadays been replaced by the Tesco supermarket. Prior to 1 890 this was the site of the Lochty Preserve Works which supplied the military with canned carrots and parsnips. Carnoustie was then famous for the carrots which grew weil in sandy soil. The works was moved to Thistle Street, where it still functions today as Mackay's Preserves, making marmalade and also a range of jams from local soft fruit.

STATION ROA.D. CARNOUSTIE

34 Carnoustie Public School, designed by [ames McLaren, was opened in 1878,

under headrnaster [ames Nicholson. Fees ranged from tenpence a month for infants to one shilling and fourpence for Standard Six. Where more than four children from the same family were in school tag ether, the eldest was admitted free. Befare the Education Act of 1872 Camaustie had several church and private schools, and the Panmure Institute, which offered halftime education to juvenile employees of Smieton's Linen Works. Until 1924 the Public School provided education up to Standard Six. Scholars wishing to continue further had to travel to Arbroath or

Broughty Ferry. After that date a three- year secondary course was available.

35 The church in this picture has twice been dismantled and rebuilt, moving one mile further east. In 1 77 3 the Antiburgher Seceders built a church at Barry. In I 8 1 0 they took it apart and re-erected it in Carnoustie in the R ye Park, laterThistle Street, where it was called the Red Kirk from the colour of its sandstone. By 1873 the congregation, now United Presbyterian, had grown so much the stones were again removed and augmented to build this larger church designed by Robert Baldie in Dundee Streel. After a split in the congregation in 1930 it was sold and couverted into a cinema. It is nowadays a lounge bar and snooker club.

Dundee Street, carnoustie.

36 A three-day bazaar on Carnoustie Links in 1898 raised n,S00 towards the :C6,OOO needed to build a new parish church. Designed by McGregor Chalmers, the church was consecrated in 1902. By heroic effort, it was by 1910 deared of debt. To keep down the cast, the spire was omitted. After 1 902 the former church building across

the street became the tewn's first cinema. It was then bought in 1919 by the Territorial Army and used as a drill hall. By 1939 it had become so unsafe it was demolished. A plan to mark the 1 OOth anniversary of its founding by building the postponed tower and transferring the doek to it was frustrated by the outbreak of the Second World War.

37 This interior of Carnoustie Parish Church shows its fine organ, the pulpit and the font. The church seats 1,100 and has some fine stained glass, induding a War Memorial Window, installed in 1 92 3 , which is the work of two women artists, Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp. At the time of its building there was a suggestion that the new

church should have a new name. St. Columba's was suggested, but this was not taken up. The rounded arches seen in this picture show that the church is Norman in style.

38 Carnoustie High Street has changed little in the ninety years since this picture was taken. The trees have gone and electricity has replaced the gas street lighting, but the shop on the left is still a baker's and the shop with the sunblind is again a wine merchant's, Between the two was Camoustie's original post office. The post office later moved to a shop in Dundee Street next to the police station, and then, in 1934, to purpose-built premises in Queen Street. Note the small boy on the left is wearing a kilt. Gas street lighting was installed in Carnoustie as earlyas 1856 through the efforts ofWilliam Balfour, who raised the money by giving,

in the Red Kirk, a series of lectures on local history; charging his audience one shilling per head.

39 Further along the High Street an errand boy carries a covered basket past the YMCA building, built in 1854. The excavation of its foundations uncovered several aneient graves with bones in stone coffins. Unlike others found in the area these skeletons were laid fulllength with their feet pointing east, which suggests they were from the Christian period, possibly 7th or 8th century AD. So many eist burials have been found around Carnoustie, it's said that nineteenth-century medical students used to seek them out in order to obtain free skeletons for their studies, and that many a hearthstone in the old Carnoustie cottages was someone's coffin

lid! During the 193 Os the YMCA housed a roller skating rink.

40 This view of Dundee Street was taken beföre 192 5, when the cottage on the near right was removed to make way for the War Memorial. The ruined house opposite was replaced in 1 932 by the Savings Bank. The second building on the right was the police station and the shop just past it was for some years the post office. The Co-operative Association still occupy the large shop opposite. The lane between the cottage and the police station, offlcially Terrace Lane, is still known as The Bobbies' Lane, although the police moved several years ago to new premises in North Burnside Street. The old police

station beca.me an old people's club called the Auld Nick!

41 The Cross, where Queen Street meets the High Street, is traditionally the centre of the town. The white building on the right was a shoe shop, replaced in 1926 by Dimarco's lee Cream Parlour, a handsome Italian-style café, featuring marbie and wood panelling, a glassed-in verandah and a garden where on warm days clients could eat ices and drink coffee. It was a popular meeting place and occasionally an art gallery, and many Carnoustie people mourned its passing when it was pulled down to make way for a Spar supermarket. Shortened skirts and cloche hats show how greatly fashions changed after the First WorldWar.

The CroSS. carnoustie.

42 In this view from the other side of the Cross the domed building. typtcal of its architect, [ames Bruce, was built for William Nicoll in 1899 and contains a bakery and a restaurant. Next to it is Cross House, built for George Fairweather on the site of a cottage which housed the first Fairweather's Emporium. The brick patches on the gable show the position of fireplaces and wall cupboards, in anticipation offurther building, never carried out. Note the sunblinds on the shops, supported by iron poles on the kerb.

43 This rare picture shows the interior of Nicoll's Luncheon and Tea Rooms, scene of many a wedding reception and similar function. At the time of this photograph the restaurant is stilllighted by gas. Nicoll's Bakery was famous for its cakes and patisseries. One speciality was a cup-shaped chocolate shell containing a trifle-Iike confection of sponge cake, jam and fruit syrup, topped with whipped cream. In later years the Tea Rooms became first a Chinese restaurant, and later a disco. At the present time they are unoccupied.

NICOLL.'S 1.TD., CAR:-;:OUSTU~':. LU:-,;CHEON ANO TEA ROOMS.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek