Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Annie L. Thompson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Angus
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1146-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

44 These Edwardian children must have been glad of a cooling paddle at a time when the accepted seaside wear for boys and girls bath was the heavy serge sailor suit. Hats were essential, even when boots and stockings had been discarded. Same children are more fashionable than others . Note the natty striped blazer warn by one small boy and the tam o'shanter sported by a girl near the beach. Formal dress, including hats and gloves, was expected ofmothers and governesses, even when seated on the sands. Winter's Boot and Shoe Factory can be seen in the background.

45 More seaside fashion in this early version of a comic postcard. The flounced, starched and heavily-behatted beauties do not look much impressed by the chat of the young man in his up-to-theminute outfit of flannels, striped blazer and panama hat. It's possible that the models have been photographed in a studio and then super-imposed on a photograph of Carnoustie Links.

The u beauties " here are beyond description

46 The Beach Pavilion has been a Carnoustie landmark for well over hundred years. Rather Indian in style, with its hipped roof and its verandah surrounded by decorative iron pillars, it offered teas, coffees, ices, a sheltered place to sit and avenue for summer dances. In the 1930s it was extended, rather unsympathetically, by the addition of a bathing station in that pericd's cubist style. The message on this card, sent in 1906 to a small boy in Buxton, explains that Lizzie, the writer, is in the crowd in front of the Pavilion taking part in a revival meeting led by a Mr. Boyd. Such seaside mission services were

frequent at Carnoustie right up to the 1960s.

47 By the 1920s beach-wear was less formal, but people stillliked the privacy of a bathing machine for changing into swimming gear. Low tide at Carnoustie exposes a wide expanse of ribbed sand, over which these horse-drawn carriages transported their passengers to deseend directly into the water. The machines were hired out by John Robb, proprietor of the GolfInn in Park Avenue. In the early 1930s, with their wheels removed, they were lined up in front of the Beach Pavilion and rented out as changing rooms, until the opening of the Bathing Station made them redundant, and eventu-

ally they were sold off. There are still a number of them around Carnoustie, doing duty as garden sheds.

-

Ca na stie cJJeacn.

V:>Icntin

'es

48 Between the wars donkey rides were a popular feature of a seaside holiday. These children are possibly on an end-af-term outing. as several of them are wearing school uniforms. including their caps. The boys on the right appear to be pupils from Arbroath High School. Carnoustie Beach can be quite windy, sa the square canvas structures would have provided shelter for piernekers as well as privacy for people changing into bathing costume.

On ihe SanĂ s, Camaastie

49 The Bank of Scotland on the left was built in 1880, incorporating a commodious house for the manager. No langer a bank, it now houses an interior design business. Opposite is a sign for Strachan's Garage, built in 1924. Note the Shell petrol pump at the pavernent's edge, the woman carrying a petrol can, and the solitary motor car. The interesting Art Deca front of this building nowadays conceals a car park. The man on the left leading the little girl is wearing plus-fours, the popular golfmg attire of the 193 Os. The two girls opposite are in the height of sea-side fashion. They're wearing shorts and their shingled heads are hatless.

50 The Pavilion Cinema on the right of this picture was built in 1912 to provide Carnoustie with a Public Hall suitable for theatre, concerts and cinema shows. It was roofed with corrugated iron. then a very innovative building material. It was demolished same years aga, but the rest of the street is little changed. Next tG the Pavilion is the Union Hall, used during the First World War as a convalescent hospital for the war-wounded, and next again is the Golf Inn. A horse-drawn carriage is passing along the High Street, and on the right of Park Avenue a man with a ladder appears to be about to carry out same roofing work on one of the cottages.

5 1 This is a rare view taken from the railway bridge at the foot of Golf Street. The old cottages have the typicallong gardens where the occupants used to grow vegetables and keep hens, with perhaps also a pig or a goat. This card was posted in 1 9 1 2 to a man in Sydney, Australia, telling him his aunt was enjoying the sea air. The ban on sending to overseas addresses postcards with correspondence must have been lifted. However, this card bears only a onepenny stamp.

52 Postmarked 1 903, this card shows the fine Victorian houses at the east end of Carnoustie's langest street. The two with turrets are possibly [ames Bruce designs, while

on the far left is one of Carnoustie's rare examples of 'stockbroker's Tudor' . Iust beyond can be ghmpsed the tower of Holyrood Episcopal ChUICh, a scaled-down replica of the ancient Round Tower of Brechin Cathedral. This scene is little changed today, apart from the disappearance of the iron railings, removed during the Second World War. The writer of this card records

that the weather on 9th [uly had improved after a thunderstorm the day befere.

53 This 1902 crowd on the Links is watehing the Merry Mascots concert party performing on an open-air stage. On the left Mr. Herbert Claremont can be seen at the piano. He first came to Carnoustie in 1899 as a solo busker, playing his fiddle on the beach and realised the potential for organised entertainment. He returned the following year with a team of performers to rent from the Town Council an open-air stage. In 1903 he was outbid by Gilbert Payne, who offered a higher rent for the stage. This card was sent to Miss Gordon at King's Cross Hospital, Dundee. This was the fever hospital, so perhaps her

swelled face was a complication of her illness.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek