Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Annie L. Thompson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Angus
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1146-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

64 Although the caption says Borrre's Brae, this picture is of Braehead, also called Lovers' Walk, the north-eastern end of the Terrace. Borrie's Brae, the steeply sloping road past Agra Bank, leading to West Path, lies at the foot of the steps leading down to the left. This spot has changed little,

other than in the size of the trees. Of four copper beeches added in 1937 to mark the Coronation of George VI, two remain, large and healthy. Behind the wall to the right are the grounds of Carnoustie House, nowadays the town's main public park.

Sorties Srne. C4rIlOllstfe.

65 Lovers'Walk to the left and Borrie's Brae on the right have attracted a large number of strolIers on this day in

1 9 1 O. The photographer eertainly has everyene's attention. The horse drawn vehicle is most likely a farm cart. Gladys, the writer of this card, informs her friend

Yvonne that this is her favourite walk, but she did not complete Yvonne's address or post the card.

66 This card is wrongly captioned, as the footpath through the Shanweil Wood was known as Lovers' Laan. It begins about 100 yards north of Lovers' Walk, This partreular spot is now greatly changed as it is now the approach road to Carnoustie High School, which occupies the area to the left of this picture. The greater part of Shanweil Wood remains, and the path leading through it towards Barry is still a very popular walk. Written on the back of this postcard are the names Annie and Flo. Perhaps two of the girls in the photograph?

67 For the more energetic a stroll through Panbride led to the picturesque hollow of Craigmill Den, then along a path which follows the Craigmill Burn towards the bleachfield and the sea shore. Panbride Mill, glimpsed behind the tree in the centre of the picture, had fallen into disuse even before a turn-of-the-century photographer arranged this rural scene of cow, collie, milkmaids and lounging cyclist. The mill dam, however, fed the mill lade which led to the bleach works. Not visible in this scene is an unusual rock formation on the south of the burn called the Devil's Pulpit.

68 A little to the north of Carnoustie the Craigmill Burn passes through Battv's Den. The name may come from Parie's flax-spinning mill which operated here in the early nineteenth century, its machinery driven by water power. In 1820 the minister ofPanbride, writing in the Statistical Account of Scotland, complained that the mill employed young girls who would be better at home, as their presence encouraged young men to loiter around the mill. No trace of the mill building now remains. The hump-backed bridge seen here has been replaced as the raad has been widened and straightened, but Battv's Den remains a charming,leafy

spot, in spring filled with primroses and wood anemones.

69 The former Ladies' Golf Course has now been for many years a putting green. This 193 Os picture shows rather fewer cars parked in Links Parade. The building third from the left is the Ladies' Golf Club, which has an attractive fromage with wrought-iron pillars and cameos of girls' heads. Further along can be seen the distinctive domed bay window of Simpson's Clubmaking workshop. which dates from 1888. The original of this picture has been handcoloured.

PUTTI..NG GREE:N &. LINKS PARAOE. CARNOUSTIE

70 The first postcard with aerial views of Carnoustie went on sa1e in 1920. This is a little later, as it shows in the south-west corner ofthe Cross Dimarco's lee Cream Parlour, built in 1926. In the immediate foreground is Winter's Boot and Shoe Factory, known as the Factory in the Garden, which produced high-qua1ity footwear until 1958. The site is now occupied by the lousen Park sheltered-housing complex. The dormer-windowed house second on the left from Dimarco's is First Feu Cottage, built on the site of Thomas Lowson's original dwelling. His ground extended from there to the sea, which in 1798 came much closer. 'Lou-

sen' is the Scats spelling of the name now anglicised as lowson.

CARNOUSTIE. FROM AN AEROPLANE

71 When Miss Jean LingardGuthrie of Carnoustie House married Walter Reid in 1929 the former family coachman, Andrew Soutar, came out of retirement and put on his old livery to drive her to Holyrood Episecpal Church in a horse-drawn carriage hired from Innes Miller's Ferrier Street stables. Here the carriage awaits the bride in the driveway of Carnoustie House. The bride's family were the descendants of George Kinloch through the marriage ofhis daughter Ann with Charles Guthrie from Fife. Their daughter Helen married the Rev. Robert Lingard, who adopted his bride's surname. Carnoustie House,

rebuilt in 1790 by Major Philip, was demolished some thirty years aga, after being badly damaged by fire.

72 Carnoustie's Slide was the first chute-the-chute in Scotland. When it was installed in 1 92 9 there were cornplaints that adults were monopolising it. There was concern that the Slide was being used on Sundays, at a time when every Saturday night the swings had their chains wrapped round the crossbars and padlocked until Monday morning. The solution was to have a large chain made which was bolted in place the length of the

Shde during the Sabbath. However, this did not deter eertam Carnoustie youths from taking the risk of removing their shoes in order

to slide down the chute in a

standing position, straddling the chain with their stockinged feet.

73 The often-discussed Beach Concert Hall was given the go-ahead in 1934 and taak just twelve weeks to erect, It was promptly taken by Gilbert Payne and bis Jolly [esters. Soprano Sybil Elsie and baritone Fred Saunders met for the first time when they arrived in Carnoustie, but romance blossomed as they sang duets. At the end of the season, in September, a large crowd stood outside Carnoustie Parish Church to cheer their wedding. Although it was disparagingly nicknamed the White Elephant, the Beach Hall, now greatly extended to include a leisure centre, remains Carnoustie's main venue for dances, exhibitions and large concerts.

74 The Paddling Pool at the mouth of the Lochty Burn was proposed in 1 93 7 as a Coronation Year project and opened in 1938. It had a deep and a shallow end and was popular until sorne years aga concern about pollution from the burn which flowed through it led to its being filled in and a new pool built beside the Beach Pavilion. Not a trace of the old Paddling Pool now remains. The conical structures were stores of poles which were placed at eertam seasons between high and low tidelines to support nets to trap salmon.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek