Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Annie L. Thompson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Angus
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1146-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Carnoustie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

75 The very popular Beach Model Railway ran for about 100 yards between the Paddling Pool and the Beach Hall. It was removed in 1941 when the beach was fortified with barbed wire and six-foot concrete blocks against possible invasion from Germany. During the war years public access to the beach through the wire was only at certain points. Landmines were laid in the War Department area of the Links and along the share between East and Westhaven. There were some fatal accidents, including a golfer who attempted to retrieve lost balls from the minefield alongside the golf course, and a young boy who ventured into a forbidden area by the share.

76 Panbride Primary School is the oldest in Angus. It has been in the same building since 1 8 1 5. The infĂ nts' dass of 1908, with their teacher, Miss Violet Scott, look awed by the camera. Many of the Eton collars wam by the boys were made of spongeable rubber. Embroidered and starched pinafores were normal wear for girls. At the time of this picture Panbride School had over three hundred pupils aged from four to fourteen. They were served a mid-day meal of soup for which a Carnoustie butcher donated bones and local farmers the vegetables. Scholars who could afford it paid one penny for the first bowl and a half penny for

'seconds'. Children from paar families had their soup free.

77 Fourteen years later school wear was much less formal, although the boy at the extreme left of the back row is wearing a kilt outfit in this picture of Barry Schaars Standard Five in 192 2. The Qualifying Examination taken in Standard Five decided whether scholars stayed on for Standard Six or left for higher education at either the Grove Academy in Broughty Ferry or the High School of Arbroath. Standard Six instruction was practical rather than academie.

78 These Standard Six boys at Barry School in 1912 are having a woodwork lesson with Mr. [ohn Strachan, just visible at the back of the room. They would leave school at the age of thirteen or fourteen, most of them to work on the land as farm servants. Other possibilities of employment were in Anderson's EngineeringWorks, or as apprentices in plumbing, carpentry or house painting. Girls could seek posts as domestic servants, or in Smieton's Works, where jute had now replaced linen, or in one ofthe tewn's two shoemaking factories.

79 At the beginning ofthe DundeeTrades Holiday Fortnight in [uly 192 7 the young daughters of the Luke family invited friends to join them for tea on the lawn outside their holiday cottage in Terrace Raad, Carnoustie. Jean Luke, in the white hat in the foreground, was a dressmaker with Maison Soutar of Dundee. Several of the guests are her colleagues. Holding the kettles are her sisters Bertha and Margaret. Annie is concealed by the tree in front of the cottage door.

Robert Luke, a Dundee clerk, rented bath a flat in the city and a cottage in Carnoustie, where the family spent weekends and school holidays.

80 Brothers David and Edgar Thompson, of Greenlawhill Farm, Barry, built this farm cart themselves in 1 92 7 . With horse Roy between the shafts they're about to take sorne of the family for a trip. The small boy in the bus conductor's uniform is Edgar's son, Billy, then aged four. With him are his grandmother, mother and young aunts. Note the neatly thatched corn-stacks covered with netting to proteet them from the wind.

81 The fishing village of Westhaven, now part of Carnoustie, is older than the rest of the town. N owadays only hobby fishing is carried on, but at the time of this picture there were still working fishermen whose wives had the task of baiting the lines with shellfish. The woman is wearing the traditional Angus fishwife's costume of drugget petticoat, striped apron, print blouse and starched linen mutch. With its picturesque cottages and natural harbour, Westhaven was a favourite spot with artists such as William MacTaggart.

,

C4- Westnaven

82 Following the Disruption of the Church of Scotland in 1843 the Rev. [ames Lumsden and many of'his congregation left the established Kirk to form Barry Free Church. After for some months meeting in a disused plash mill, they built a small, cottage-like chapel on land belanging to Greenlawhill Farm. In 1888, owing to the rapid growth of Carnoustie this was replaced by the present Barry Church, designed by [arnes McLaren. The two Barry churches were united in 1953, and the older church was some years later closed and then demolished. The house on the left of this picture now has an upper storey. J ust visible on the left

is part of the minister's stable, now converted into a house.

J3arry c7ree Cliurcli

V ?. latines Sen

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek