Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ifor Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Wrexham
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4770-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Graesser's Works, 1890. In 1879, R.F. Graesser had 29 employees, but by 1890 this had increased to 42; 36 of them are shown in this photograph, with Edward Williams (Berwyn), manager for forty years, in the bowler hat in the front holding his children. The works dog, Gelert, was cared for by all the workmen. The woman is Mrs. Parker, the cleaner. By 1890, the New British Iron Works had closed and with it other ironworks dependent on it for their iron supplies such as the Tube Works near Graesser's Chemical Works. Gradually, Graesser enclosed these sites as his works expanded, which was most fortunate for the working population of Cefn and district. At this time too, J.e. Edwards' clayworks at Trefynant continued to expand.

20. Clove Shed at Graesser-Monsanto's Worb, Cefn, 1922. R.F. Graesser collapsed working at his desk in 1911. The works continued under bis son, Norman H. Graesser, and it became a limited company in 1916. Wages in 1912 ranged from 1 V2d. to 7d per hour. Under the works' manager, Edward Williams (Berwyn), the works was almost wholly self-sufficient with its blacksmith and tin-smith, carpenter and electrician. In 1920, the company became Graesser-Monsanto, and among the changes vanillin was manufactured. The sacks of cloves shown here were imported from Zanzibar and Madagascar. The clove oils were distilled to produce vanillin, which left a sweet taste in the atmosphere of the homes of the workers. Half of the village of Cefn is now occupied by the works' site.

21. Graesser's Works, the Steps, 1930. This old passage-way through the works led from the Oilworks Road (Railway Road) down towards the canaI. It has remained there, although much aItered now, despite the major developments over the years. It is still a reminder of the works in its early days. When carbolic acid was manufactured in the works, it was customary for mothers to bring their children down the steps during epidemies of whooping eough: it was regarded as a eertain eure. The works has always been coneerned about any discharge of effluent in the rivers, and new systems are always being adopted to ensure this. In earlier days, up to the 1930s, when Ewart Mather was ehief ehemist, a einder bank served as the main filter-bed and thanks to bis assiduous labours worked most effieiently.

22. Bridges, streets, shops.

The Aqueduct, Pontcysyllte (1795-1805), c. 1910. Two famous bridges border, and conneet with, Cefn Mawr Parish: they are this Aqueduct and the Newbridge Viaduct. This remarkable structure of Telford carried the Ellesmere Canal from Llangollen to Chester via Ellesmere, and also to the Midlands. The original intention was to carry the canal directly to Chester via the Wrexham area, but this scheme was abandoned before the building of the Aqueduct was complete. The bridge carries the canal in a cast-iron trough for over 1,000 feet at a height of 126 feet above the River Dee. Teltord's friend, William Hazledine, was engaged to supply the ironwork at bis foundry in Cefn Mawr, the Plaskynaston Foundry. This foundry continued in operation for almost 150 years.

23. The Viaduct, Newbridge, 1930. The wonderful structure carrying the Chester-Shrewsbury railway over the River Dee was designed by Henry Robertson and executed by Thomas Brassey, the railway contractor. It was opened in 1848. In the photograph, the old road bridge, built in 1884 replacing earlier bridges, stands before it, and behind can be seen the Forge Cottages which have gone long ago. There was an ironworks nearby in the early nineteenth century, worked by William Lacon and later by the British Iron Company. The viaduct is 1,500 feet long, 147 feet high, and has nineteen stone arches, each with a span of 60 feet. One of the first trains over was stranded in the middle and a passenger described how they were left there in the moonlight with the Dee sparkling below them.

- NEWBRIDOE ROAD.

24. Newbridge Raad, Cefn Bychan, 1920. This road leads up from the 'new bridge' over the River Dee and winds up on a long continuous bend to this point. On the right is the entrance to Cefn Station with its old 'Hughes' gas-lamp. The railway leads from the station almost immediately over the Viaduct to Whitehurst Halt (now demolished) and on to Chirk Station, some two miles away. An interesting building in the photograph, at the bottom of the road, is the old Welsh Baptist Chapel, dated 1826. To the left of it, and just about visible, is the old Quaker Meeting House, used in the seventeenth century by the fellowers of John ap John. It is now a farm-house. Soon a new by-pass across Wynnstay Park will relieve this part of all the through traffic.

25. Isaac Richards's Cycle Shop, Rhosymedre, 1914. Continuing along the road from Newbridge along Park Road, you arrive at a turning to the left for Cefn Mawr. At this point onee stood this Cycle Shop, one of the first in the area. Isaae is seen standing outside his shop with his daughter by an array of shovels, spades and forks, as weil as bis Triumph and Rudge bicycles for ladies and gents. Not many people in this area could afford to purehase a bieycle in those days. Tools were an investment since there were many with allotments to help out with their food bills for their large families. Many, too, kept chiekens and pigs for the same reason. This corner was cleared about 1930, and Isaac Richards had his shop further along Park Road.

26. Beehive Stores, Rhosymedre, 1920. Across the road from Isaac Richards' first Cycle-Shop was the Plough Inn (still there), and further along Park Road was the Beehive. It was a large stores, renowned for politeness and efficient service. William Davies, the proprietor , is seen on the right of rus staff. He was a devout chapel-goer, as was his father before rum, Benjamin Davies. In the upper rooms, in the back of the Beehive Stores, Rhosymedre had its 'Assembly Rooms', where crowds attended concerts, political meetings, evening classes, and many functions. Entrance was made up a flight of stone steps at the rear of the stores. The window advertisements were always a feature of stores in earlier times.

HIOH STREET RHOSYMEDRE.

27. High Street, Rhosymedre, 1905. This is a view of the street from Park Road, looking towards Cefn Mawr with the stone quarries in the distance. The chapel on the left was the Bethel Welsh Congregational Chapel, now closed but used as an upholstery workshop. Across from the chapel was the Plough Inn, Further along the street can be seen the barber's pole outside the shop of Tommy Jones the barber. Further along the street, the road crosses by a bridge over the Chester-Shrewsbury Railway. The most important shop shown here on the right is that of the Cefn Cooperative Society which had been opened just a few years. It was to assurne great importance for the next fifty years, as the main shops and the central offices for the whole district were centred here.

28. Tommy the Barber, 1912. This shop in the High Street, Rhosymedre, served as a barber's shop for many years before this photograph was taken. Note the barber's pole. In the 1880s, George the Barber was here and he was succeeded by A.E. Roberts. In this photograph, the shop is shown as belonging to Jones, Hairdresser. Thomas Jones worked at the Wynnstay Colliery but following a serious accident to his leg from a heavy fall of coal down the pit, he was forced to take up this new occupation. Here he remained through his life. The baby with hirn was his son, William, who lost his life with the R.A.F. in the Battle of Britain. The man may have been his assistant.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek