Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ifor Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Wrexham
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4770-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. High Street, Rhosymedre, 1914. The photograph leads from the Plough corner and Isaac Richards' shop along the High Street towards Cefn Mawr. On the left was the Anchor P.H. yard where travelling actors performed 'Maria Marten' and 'Murder in the Red Barn', as weil as stunts which were more common on fair-grounds where 'Red Indians' (from South Wales) with waist-long hair displayed the strength of Samson. Later all this property was purchased by the Cooperative Society Ltd. The shop on the right of the photograph was a barber's shop, another a newsagent, and a small stores, and at the end of the street was Isaac Richards' shop. What is noticeable is that all the buildings but one are built of Cefn stone which was quarried nearby.

30. Cooperative Society Ltd., Rhosymedre, 1921. FoIlowing the work of the Rochdale Pioneers of 1894, one of their speakers came to Cefn Mawr in 1900 from Manchester with a view to establishing a new branch. In 1901, the Society opened a shop in WeIl Street, and two years later a larger shop was opened in Crane Street, Cefn. By 1908-1910, the central prernises were established at Rhosymedre. In 1915, they built a new bakery in Park Street. New branches were set up in Acrefair, Trevor and Rhos. In 1929, larger extensions and alterations were made to the Rhosymedre prernises. The photograph shows the first boot and shoe shop with Mr. Astleyand Mr. Fred Bate, two of the Society's faithful staff for many years.

31. Rhosymedre Church. In 1837 this Church was dedicated to St. John the Evangelist and built on land donated by Sir W.W. Wynn of Wynnstay, Ruabon. The architect was Edward Welch who generally worked in partnership with Hansom ( of Hansom cabs). The church plan is cruciform with low pitched roofs and corner pinnacles. It has a western porch with a saddle-back bell-cote. The reredos of the Church is composed, on the sides and the rear, of green and brown lustre tiles embossed with vine, and with medieval-style encaustic tiles on the floor of this and the chancel. They were 'presented by the members of this Church and St. Paul's, Acrefair , employed in the Trefynant Tile Works, July 1906'.

32. Weil Street, Cefn Mawr, 1914. The boundary line between Rhosymedre and Cefn Mawr lies roughly along a line where the tramway used to cross the road from Chatham's Quarry to the Dressing Yard. From that point you enter Well Street which took its name from the well which provided the inhabitants with their water supply before Mr. Whalley of Plasmadoe arranged for a more efficient supply for the district from the Sugn-y-pwll reservoir up Tower Hili, Acrefair. The photograph shows a typical shop of the period when tinsmiths, such as J. Thomas, provided a valuable service to the many workers in collieries and clayworks. 'Snappin' (food) tins and tin tea-bottles were used by all workers on the long shifts they worked.

33. Tabernacle, Weil Street, Cefn, 1910. Passing further along Weil Street from Rhosymedre, the large Welsh Baptist Chapel used to be a familiar sight until it was demolished in 1974. In the photograph, standing under the gas-lamp outside the chapel house, may be seen two of the locals engaged in carrying water from the weH in one of the dry summers, when the streams feeding the Sugn-y-Pwll reservoir would dry up. On the far end of the street can be seen the Colliers Arms which was demolished in the 1930s to build a Health Clinic on the site. There were a number of public houses in Weil Street apart from the Colliers, far too many for the liking of the nonconformist ministers.

34. Weil Street, Cefn Mawr, 1920. This view of the street, across from Tabernacle, shows London House, owned by Christmas Jones, Bowen's butcher's shop, as wel! as the low stone building of Morris' ironmonger's stores, which had a stone plaque on it, 'W & S Thomas, 1865', tbe family business of Sir Miles Thomas' family. The narrow streets grew as horse-and-eart roads, and bebind the buildings on the left side of the street ran the tramway, first built to convey stone from the Rhosymedre quarries for the building of tbe Aqueduct. In tbe far end of the left side of the street stands George Edwards' Hall.

35. Welt Street, Cefn Mawr, 1930. The upper end of WeH Street was dominated by the George Edwards Hall, which was erected to bis memory in 1911. He was a brother of I.C. Edwards, the claymaster. Soon after the First World War about 1919, the cinema was eneroaehing into the Jives of people everywhere, and it arrived at the George Edwards Hall. These were the days of the silent movies. The Cefn Chronicle announced on 15 February 1919 that there was a performance of 'The Heart of the Lion', followed in the next week by a Lasky production of 'The Crystal Gazer' with Fanny Ward, and later in the week by 'Man and Beast'. A local pianist was engaged to play background music. The 'Kinema' as it was known was owned by John Stanley Jones.

36. Weil Street, Cefn Mawr, 1910. This Edwards photograph was taken from the Holly Bush corner, seen on the right. Over the stone-wall is the site of the George Edwards Hall. To the left of the photographer was Crane Street; behind him, and to the right slightly, was Hill Street leading down to Plaskynaston Hall and the Queens Hotel. The wall where the two boys stand marks the beginning of the High Street which led over 'Top-y-Cefn' to Seion Chapel, Cae Coch and Cae Glo. The Public House on the left is the Vaults, and behind it was the Cross Keys; still further down on the left was the Colliers Arms. Of interest is the slope on the wall on the Holly Bush corner to allow more space for the horse-and-cart trafik

37. The Pa/ace Cinema, Cefn Mawr, 1930. This was situated just bebind the Holly Bush, built largely of corrugated metal sheets, which rather belied its comfortabie interior. The steps from the top of Hili Street led to the booking office. It was built soon after the cinema arrived at the George Edwards Hall which can he seen in the background. In earlier days, the track of the tramway to the Rhosymedre quarries passed over this spot. The proprietors were John Owen Jones and his brother. John Owen was an energetic, bald-headed man, who spent matinees running up and down the centra! isle with bis flash-light threatening to throw-out any unruly boys. In August 1967, the cinema was destroyed by fire.

38. Plaskynaston Hall, Cefn Mawr, 1930. This was the ancestral Hall of the Kynaston family who together with the Lloyds of Plasmadoe Hall owned all of the land in the parish. In the 16808 the family were staunch Presbyterians, and the old house was licensed to hold religious meetings or conventicles. In 1804, the Cefn estate lands were sold off for industrial development by the Owens family who had married into the estate. The last occupant was Professor Share Jones, one of the most eminent veterinary surgeons in the country in the 1930s. The buildings at the back were once stables. These were dernolished and the Hall became Council Offices formanyyears.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek