Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ifor Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Wrexham
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4770-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Qefn (1<uabon). Queen's )o(ote1.

39. Queen's Hotel, Cefn, 1900. This was the largest hotel in Cefn Mawr, kept by 'Hughes the Queen'. He was Samuel Hughes, brewer and licensed victualler, shown standing in the photograph, greatgrandfather of Mark Hughes, the international footballer. The hotel was below the Cefn Bank in Queen Street, a continuation of Hill Street from the Holly Bush corner. Unfortunately, the castiron balcony has disappeared, probably as scrap-iron during the First World War. The stone wall, in the front-Ieft, had a built-up archway in it, which had formerly been the entrance of a tunnel which conveyed a tramway under the Queen's from the canal-arm in the Monsanto works' site (then Graessers). This tramway led through lower Cefn, across Bro Gwilym, to the Waterloo Pits of the Plaskynaston Colliery.

40. Williams & Watkins, Crane Street, Cefn, 1905. This was the first shop in Crane Street after passing the Hol!y Bush from Wel! Street. Opposite the side of the shop was the Palace Cinema. In the photograph, Mr. Williams stands in the doorway (under the name 'Williams'), and befare hirn, on the pavement, is Mr. Watkins. The size of staff indicates the amount of business they received. As young men, they worked together in Birmingham, and Williams, who was a native of Cefn, persuaded Watkins to set up business with hirn in this busy colliery area. Unfortunately they had a disagreement and broke up their partnership, and Watkins moved to the other side of Crane Street. Later his son taak over the business and moved back to 'The Enterprise' site again.

41. Crane Street, Cefn, 1914. This was another J.E. Edwards postcard. His shop was the middle onestorey shop on the right, which also served as the post office. Beyond, on the far right, was Williams & Watkins. Nearer the camera was Bells and by the gas-lamp was Mrs. Jordan's 'Penny Bazaar', which sold almast everything from mangles to toys and sweets. Then came a side alley leading to the Doctor's Steps, down to Dr Macdonald's surgery. Nearer still, the old stone building was reputed to have been connected with Piekering's Cefn Colliery on Cefn Bank. Later this was removed and T.O. Davies built his Medical Hall, a chemist's shop which stilI operates. On the left of the street was the Pawnbroker's Shop, later Gracies, a butcher's shop, the Star Supply Stores and Griffiths' Stores.

42. Star Supply Stores, Crane Street, Cefn, 1930. Next to Mrs. Jordan's 'Penny Bazaar' was BeIls, 'The Modern Cash Groeers', and aeross the road, in keen eompetition was the Star Supply Stores. Both were retail chain-stores, and other loeal groeers faeed great opposition from them, as they did with the Cooperative Shops. In BeIls' window 'Iris Brand Tea', 'Camp' and 'Keenora' were displayed, and they claimed eustomers saved 20% by purchasing their groeeries. Further down Crane Street, opposite the Cefn Bank was Alfred Smith's Stationers Shop. In 1907 he also published a loeal newspaper, the 'Cefnite' which eompeted with Benjamin Pritehard's 'Cefn Chronicle'. The Cefnite lasted a few years, but lost out to the latter whieh was printed for seventy years.

43. F.M. Templeton, Crane Street, Cefn, 1905. Templeton won many prizes as a cyclist as is shown in the photograph. Marbie clocks for the mantle-piece were favourite gifts at this time, as weil as paraffin-lamps, brass kettles and barometers. Cycling clubs became popular leisure occupations; hence the large number of cyde shops. Crane Street was busy in 1907 as the 'Cefnite' for 17 August showed. There was Alfred Smith's shop which published the 'Cefnite', opposite the Cefn Bank where the fairs and circuses came. Then there was T.O. Davies in his Medical Hall who also served as a dentist; Allen Jones' boot and shoe shop with the Cefn Chronicle office of Benjamin Pritchard above it and Bates & Roberts' Bazaar, and Jordan's Penny Bazaar.

44. Bradiey's Clothing Stores, 1895. This remarkable old shop was sited on the Crane Corner near the spot where a crane once operated to transfer trucks from Railway Road to the tramway which ran along King Street. Many of Cefn's streets began as tramways. Bradiey's Stores was later converted into a chemist-shop, belonging to T.O. Davies; then later it became Watkiri's Corner; and finally, before it was demolished in 1974, it served as a Betting Shop. Next to it, along Crane Street was the United Methodist Chapel, called the Free Church. It is barely seen in the photograph: it had railings before it. Next to it was Gwalia Stores, a grocery shop, followed by Bates & Roberts' Bazaar, outfitters and milliners.

45. Crane Corner, Cefn, 1900. This faced Bradiey's Clothing Stores. William Roberts, seen by the door of his shop, was a wealthy property owner in Cefn and Acrefair. Facing his shop in the photograph was a shop later owned by Jonathan Jones which sold Meccano sets and Hornby trains, and next to it was a barber's shop. Following William Roberts, John Williams kept the shop. Next to the shop along King Street (not in the picture) was Stephens, greengrocer and fruiterer, known as the 'Paragon', and further along was the Fent Shop, kept by W.H. Pritchard, and still further was the 'King's Head', The shops in the photograph have all been demolished. This corner was always a busy spot from the days when the Aqueduct was completed in 1805.

46. King's Head Inn, King Street, Cefn, 1910. Mrs. Griffiths, the proprietor's wife, stands in the doorway awaiting a delivery of ale-barrels from the Llangollen or Wrexham breweries, although many hostelries brewed their own. It is hard to imagine now that in the 1920s and 1930s on Saturday nights salesmen came from the Midlands with their wares of lino, crockery, pots and pans and chambers, and haggled with local women over their prices under hissing, glaring naphtha lights. The small court-yard was crowded, and so were the yards at the side and the back. Further along King Street on the road to Acrefair , you passed Aunty Mena's shop with an entry to Russell Street, and across was the Salvation Army.

LLANGOLLE ROAD. ACREFAIR

47. The Bridge, Llangollen Road, Acrefair. 1920. This stone bridge was one of Robertson's skew bridges, lined with rows ofbrick round the arch built diagonally. It was the hub of the village life. The road leads from Ruabon to L1angollen, four miles away, and in the distance can be seen the farniliar mountain sky-line above L1angollen. The road to the right leads up Chapel Street to Black Lion Road in Upper Acrefair, and to the clayworks of Bowers and the Delph (both now closed). To the left, the road leads to King Street, Cefn, past the Eagles Inn at the corner, once kept by Betsen Richards, and the bridge became known as 'Pont Betsen' . Over the bridge passed the L1angollen railway, and to the left was Acrefair Station, discontinued in 1965. The bridge was demolished in March1979.

48. Acrefair, 1910. This was another photograph by J.E. Edwards, looking up Llangollen Road, Acrefair, towards Ruabon. The row of stone houses on the left, Burton Terrace, belonged to the New British Iron Company, and beyond the bridge can be seen buildings which were relics of the old ironworks. These were the moulding and pattern rooms which continued in use up to 1950 as part of the Hughes & Lancaster Works. On the right of the street, the first gable in the centre was a wellestablished grocery shop, occupied from 1890 to the present day. The second gable is the Post Office, for fifty years managed by Mrs. Green and her daughter. Prior to this, the Post Office was in Black Lion Road, kept by Dan EIlis.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek