Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ifor Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Wrexham
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4770-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Llangollen Raad, Acrefair. 1920. This is a eontinuation of the previous photograph from lower down Llangollen Road. On the left is Trinity Presbyterian Chapel (old and new). Only the old, small ehapel remains open for worship; onee it was known loeally as 'Parry's Chapel' after the old headmaster. Further up the street is the lower seetion of Burton Terraee. The white gable at the end was onee the house of the manager of the New British Collieries. It was then known as 'Abernant House' (now 'Pretoria Villas'). It was oeeupied by William Hynde, the manager, and in 1855 the house was attaeked by rioters, who smashed its furniture. The upper section of Burton Terrace is just out of sight. On the right hand side are Ruabon-brick houses, built by Hopley in 1890.

50. Iames Gostiler, 1920. This was one of the few grocery shops in Upper Acrefair, on Black Lion Road (later it was named Bethania Road, after the Baptist Chapel). The Black Lion was a 'Beerhouse' , a short distance to the right. James Gostiler and his wife, as weH as some of the children, together with assistants, served in the shop. The assistant shown here became the owner later. (H is no longer a shop.) Like other grocery shops of the period it was efficient, and loaded with groceries of all descriptions as weH as provisions, such as 'Indian Corn' for chicken food. Most people had chickens in the backs of their houses as weH as a pig or two. It was a common sight in most houses to see hams and bacon hanging from the kitchen beams.

51. Transport.

Train leaving Acrefair Station, 1930. This train leaving Acrefair Station is just about to enter the deep cutting through the ridge of Cefn Rock. It has travelled from Barmouth, via Bala, Corwen and Llangollen. Freight traffic for Acrefair and the area came into the siding with coal and other merchandise. It was a busy junction line, joining the main Chester-Shrewsbury line at Ruabon. It was constructed in 1862 to the plans of Henry Robertson, a Scot, who came to this locality to investigate the mineral potential of the area for the Scottish banks. He remained in the district for the rest of his life, and died in 1888.

52. The Wooden Foetbridge at Coed Richard, Acrefair. 1925. This bridge was locally known as the Prince of Wales Bridge, because it was opened in 1863, the year of the wedding of the Prince of Wales (who later became Edward VII). This remarkable gorge was cut through the ridge of Cefn Rock - to the right was Cefn Mawr, to the left was Acrefair. By means of this cleavage, Henry Robertson succeeded in keeping the railway at a lower contour than the earlier proposals of other surveyors. To the left is Coed Richard (Richard's Wood, although there is no trace of a wood) and to the right Cae Coch (Red Field) and below it Cae Glo (Coal Field). This railway was closed in 1965, as part of Beeching's plans. The gorge is no longer the deep one shown here but has been partly filled in with waste.

53. Cefn Station, 1920. This station was on the main line from Chester to Shrewsbury, but although the line remains open the station has been closed for twenty years. The main line, formerly G.W.R., was opened in 1848 to the plans of Henry Robertson. One of his great achievements was the construction of the large viaduct which is only a short distance from this station in the direction of Chirk. All railway stations were run most efficiently under the control of the important station-masters, dressed in their uniforms of navy and gold-braid. Trolleys carried luggage from platform to platform, porters and office-clerks all added to the bustle and importance. The stations had no litter and glistened with fresh paint, and the waiting-rooms had warm coal-fires.

54. Horse-drawn Brake, 1920. Works-outings and Sunday-school trips were greatly enjoyed in these brakes drawn by a team of two or more horses. In summer-time straw-hats often replaced the popular peak-caps, Waistcoats were part of everyday wear, and a sign of affluence was the possession of a silver watch-chain, and a silver or gold wateh. Many men were still in khaki in 1920, as are these two outside the 'Tally Ho' Public House which still remains in Newbridge, next to the bridge over the river Dee, and near the entrance to the Wynnstay Park Lodge. The sign on the right of the 'Tally Ho' displays a fox being chased by hounds, which was possibly the old sign as the inn was once called the 'Fox and Hounds'.

55. Meredith's Mobile Shop, 1920. Mr. Meredith was brother-in-law to Mr. Jim Jesson and together they were the first locals to develop transport in Cefn. Jesson had a single horse-brake which was popular for short joumeys in the summer-time. Mr. Meredith had a shop in Crane Street, Cefn, and he used this modified horse vehicle as his mobile shop to deliver a variety of wares: pots, pans, crockery, food and paraffin. This was garaged behind the shop on the Cefn Bank, where later the family garaged their buses. At one time there was a market-hall on Cefn Bank. Until recently it was the venue for the annual March Fair (Pat Collins) and others.

56. Charabanc Outing, 1918. Open charabancs were very popular after the First World War. This was a specially arranged outing for the regulars, starting from outside their public house, the 'Holly Bush'. The photograph can be dated from the absence of the Palace Cinema which was built next to the Holly Bush a year or two later. The solid tyres of the old bus ensured no punctures, although it guaranteed a rough ride on roads full of pot-holes. At the back of the charabanc is a retractable hood which, at least, ensured cover from the rain on such occasions, although the sides were open and those who sat there were not always dry. Present at the great send-off was the usual gathering of local characters.

57. Graesser Works Lorry, 1923. The open Star lorry with its solid tyres and a reputed maximum speed of 15 m.p.h. was a multi-purpose lorry at Graesser's Chemical Works in Cefn. It served not only to convey the drums to and from Acrefair Station, but to transport the cricket and hockey players for their away-fixtures. Many hockey players declared that on bleak mid-winter occasions they arrived too numb with frost to hold their hockey-sticks. In 1920, MI. Queeny, the proprietor of the St. Louis Chemical Works, U.S.A., became partner with R.F. Graesser of Cefn, and the company was known as Graesser-Monsanto. In the next eight years, production at Cefn included saccharin, vanillin, salicylic acid and aspirin. In 1928, Monsanto completed the purchase of the Cefn factory.

58. Meredith & Iesson's Buses, Cefn, 1930. This was one ofthe first bus services to run between Cefn and Wrexham, the nearest large town, about seven miles away. The local service was run by the two cousins, shown here, and it continued until about 1970. The rival 'Transport Red' service was based at Wrexham; this in turn was taken over by the Crosville Company which still operates in the district. The main routes used by the buses locally were, and still are, from Llangollen and Oswestry to Wrexham and Chester via Cefn Mawr. They were more convenient than the trains for short journeys with the result that in 1965 the Ruabon-Llangollen railway via Acrefair was closed under the Beeching proposals.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek