Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ifor Edwards
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Wrexham
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4770-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Cefn-Mawr in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Twm y Crydd (Tom the Cobbler), 1930. Tom Davies who lived at the battam of the High Street, Cefn, on the border with Acrefair, had his small workshop next to his house with a piece of land in between. On this yard he always had a wooden tub full of water for soaking the leather to repair boots and shoes and, in earlier days, clogs, which were in big demand with the colliers. Mrs. Davies used to be a specialist in making 'Yorkshire Ducks' and 'Black Pudding', so she and her husband always had callers. This used to be a busy area. A few doors away was 'Jack the Barber', Jack Jones, and at the end was the Lion Stores owned by John David Jones. Across the wad was a triangular piece of land which contained Cuffin's Laundry and a shop known as 'Manchester House'.

70. Parades, Clubs, Sport.

Friendly Societies and Pageants, 1903. The grand regalia of the children was created to celebrate a church event at Rhosymedre for the Sunday School children. The ceremony of crowning the queen was held at Plasmadoc. Such events were popular with adult clubs as weil as for children. In the 1880s, a Ladies Club met at the Red Lion in 'Top-y-Cefn' and decked themselves in colourful costumes and paraded to the tuneful blasts of the Forge Band. Crowds gathered along Cae Glo and Cae Coch, and roses and flowers with floral staffs all added to the gaiety of the occasion. In front was a large silk banner held high emblazoned with a painting of 'The Good Samaritan'. Tea parties followed. Other clubs were held at the Eagles, Acrefair , and the Buck and Rolly Bush in Cefn.

71. Mae/or Welsh Costume Choir, Cefn, 1900. Cefn Mawr was aculturally active area in this period. It had two famous choirs conducted by J.T. Gabriel and G.W. Hughes, friends but rivals. Seion Chapel, on the hili, was renowned over a wide area for its 'Penny Readings', or small eisteddfods, which climaxed with an annuallarge eisteddfod. These competitions helped many young people to sing and recite publicly, as weIl as to write Welsh poetry. Cefn had two well-known bards at this time, Abon and Cefnydd. Abon, Henry Davies, was one of the principal bass solists with this party, and was also its secretary: he is seen on the right in the photograph. They had engagements in many parts of Wales. Their base was Seion Chapel.

72. Snowdrop Band, Acrefair, 1925. During the last century drunkenness became a national problem and at various times the temperanee movement grew strongly from the churches to counteract it. In 1881, the Welsh Sunday Closing Act forbade the sale of alcoholic drink on Sundays. After a hundred years the Act has been repealed, in stages. Children were brought up in the temperanee tradition, and among the many groups formed were the Band of Hope and the Snowdrop Band. Groups like this one at Acrefair were formed by the dedicated service ofwomen, like Mrs. J.E. Roberts of Acrefair, who trained the children to partake in all kinds of functions, usually in the local chapels and churches.

73. Ruabon Si/ver Band, 1925. On Sundays in the summertime of the 1920s it was customary for a silver-band to give coneerts of sacred music on Coed Richard, Acrefair. The usual bands were either from Ruabon or Llangollen. Coed Richard was an elevated piece of ground, part of the ridge of Cefn Rock. Concerts were always announced in the 'Cefn Chronicle' which appeared on Saturdays. Children and parents would assembie, and while parents walked or sat around Iistening to the band, the children would gambol away the summer evenings while the swallows overhead screeched as they hurtled over Lancaster Terrace and the trees nearby. This high ground gave viewers the finest vantage point in the parish, From here could be seen the Llangollen Vale, the Wynnstay parkland and the Cheshire Plain.

74. Rhosymedre Church Football, 1910. Each village had its football team. The most famous in the area was the Druids Football Club which was formed in 1873 and won the Welsh Cup on more than one occasion before 1900. Among its players were Welsh internationals. The team played in the 18808 at Wynnstay and Plasmadoe Parks, and later at Rhosymedre. From Rhosymedre, they moved to Acrefair on the 'Top Ground', above the Hughes & Lancaster Works. This level piece of land had been used before 1880 by the New British Iron Company for the movement of trucks, and for loading the furnaces with iron, coke and limestone. The old coke-ovens at the side of the ground were used for changing-rooms at one time, but were eventually moved towiden the ground.

75. Parade [rom Acrefair Bridge, 1925. The purpose of the parade is unknown. It was headed by the three local policemen, Williams of Acrefair, Roberts of Cefn, and Davies of Rhosymedre. Each one had his 'beat', and succeeded in keeping law and order efficiently in the parish. They are seen approaching the old level-crossing, near St. Pauls Church, Acrefair , and heading towards King Street, Cefn. The railway which crossed at this point led from Trevor Station via Wynn Hall to Rhos, carrying freight only. It was closed in the 1960s. On the left is Maelor Terrace with Maelor Stores owned by W.F. Humphreys and the Eagles P.H. on the corner. Across from Maelor Terrace are the old iron slag-baaks and old shafts, formed by the New British Iron Company.

76. Parade in Rhosymedre, 1920. The purpose of this grand parade along Park Road, Rhosymedre, is not quite clear. The rosettes suggest it may have been political, but whether it was a Liberal or Labour group is not evident. Some of the men, such as Mr. Williams of The Enterprise (in the front with an umbrella), and Mr. Howells, clerk of the Cefn Council (in the back wearing a bowler hat), were known to have been Liberals. Some of the others, such as the Reverend E.K. Jones (with beard) were known to have been Labour supporters. In the many elections between 1920 and 1925, some of the Liberals joined the Labour party; and Lloyd George's picture, which was displayed in many houses, was turned with bis face to the wall.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek