Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2367-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

A BIT OF OLO CHA.LFONT ST PETER.

L1'-'tW",tt. LIO_

r Ml."'GLf. lot."l'."

19. Here is the junction of Gold Hili with Chalfont St. Peter village. On the left, the village sweet shop, next Bishop's grocery and hardware stores and secondhand shop, then two other smaIl shops. The trees beyond are part of The Grange estate. On the right can be seen a charming old cottage, and part of a barber's shop next door. All of this property has now gone, replaced by new shops. On the left hand corner now stands the new Barclays Bank.

GOLD HILL, CHALFONT ST. PETER.

20. Looking up Gold Hili from the village in about 1908. On the left is Bishop's General Stores. The wooden building is 'Jack Bishop's Marine Store Dealer's' premises. The higher window level pictured here was reached by climbing a ladder! It was then a secondhand shop - today's 'antiques'. MI. Bishop had a very extensive collection. He also delivered almost every thing - china, hardware, oil, etc. Tom Smith's garage was the last building pictured on the left. He sold and repaired bicycles and, later, cars. The trees are part of the Grange Park. On the right are allotments. Opposite to Bishop's Stores runs Church Lane, leading to the village schools.

21. These two channing early 16th century cottages stood in the High Street next to the Post Office. In thc first, to the left, lived the Wingfield family. Annie Wingfield was a teacher in the infants school all of her working life. Several generations were taught their first lessans by her. Next door was a barber, pictured standing at his door. His name was Mr. Herrlein. He was a German and, during World War I., young boys, bursting with patriotism, would throw lighted 'squih' fireworks through his doorway. He called for police protection. Replacing this beauty spot now stands new three-storey buildings with shops on the ground floor.

Key's' Groeery Stores and Post Office, Chalfont St. Peter.

22. The village Post Office and Grocery Store as it was in the early 1900s. Immediatelyon the left was the Post Office. Note the letter box in the window. Adjoining was the Grocery Store. Mr. J.c. Keys, the owner and postmaster, is seen here on the steps of his property. He was always clean and neat, pleasant and polite to alL Note the telegraph boy with the bicycle on the right, waiting for a telegram to deliver. This would be received here by the morse code system, Do we fully appreciate today's telephone service? These old premises still stand but, after several changes, a fashion shop, ca11ed 'New Image', has had a pleasant shop front built-in. To the right can be seen part of the Parish Church of St. Peter.

Chalfont St. Peter Parish Church.

23. The structure of the Parish Church has not been altered since 1867, when a lady chapel, to the left in the foreground, was added. A memorial now stands in the church yard, erected to the fallen of World War I. and, after 1945, adapted to include the names of villagers lost in World War Il. The railings have gone, but the low wall remains. In recent years the tower has been restored, and so the ivy has gone. The name Chalfont St. Peter is said to derive from Ceadeles Funta, or Ceadel's Spring, Ceadel being a person of British origin, and Font the river. There are springs along this valley.

24. The interior of the Parish Church of St. Peter. It remained the same, no doubt, from the early 18th century when it was rebuilt, until the restoration of the nave in 1966-1967. Then the vau1ts were closed, the cross was removed from the screen, and the words from the arch. New, quite different pews were installed, and carpet now covers the middle of the aisie. There are brass and marbie tablets to the Hibbert family on the left hand side of the pulpit. They had lived at Chalfont House and Chalfont Lodge, during which period they were very generous to the parish. Some of the stained g1ass windows, also, have been placed here to the memory of the Hibberts.

25. Here is the centre of the village, outside the Parish Church, in the early 1900s. The River Misbourne flowed across the road then. Immediately past the church is a footbridge. Then the 'Greyhound Inn', showing the coach entrance. The barber's shop is part of the Greyhound premises. All this still remains, but the barber's shop is now put to other use. On the right, on the other side of the river, is the 'George Inn', The butcher's shop was part of this, but now has been adapted as a bar. The row of cottages beyond have all been pulled down, replaced by part of the new village by-pass.

. ~.; ?.. :~ ".--' ;

.??? :0. ??

.

~-- '.-

26. The road bridge, newly built, pictured about 1904. Children seem to have grouped here for the occasion. In the right forefront are cottages, the grocer's shop, then one of the two footbridges. The 'George Inn' on the other side of the river had been a coaching inn. Note the coach entrance with 'Good Stabling' advertised. MI. C.E. Bonsey had this inn, and also our only butener's shop at this time. The shop can be seen to the left of the premises, and there was a slaughter house at the rear. No frozen meat or other frozen food then! Note the grocer's cart is not in use here - the horse was stabied through the black door next to where a lady is pictured standing ,in her doorway. This was a Mrs. Harris, whose husband was a gardener at the Vicarage ju st across the road.

27. A photograph taken about 1930 showing, on the right, the property of Chiltern Cleaners, most probably the oldest in the village, dating back to early 14th century. When this was demolished, same very fme timbers were found. This property, and more out of picture, belonged to the Briden family, and later the Georges. Here, the church fence still remains, and a bus shelter shortly to be demolished. The cottages in the distance have also gone. The taller buildings, next, are now all shops.

28. The village in about 1900, just at the bend of the raad looking towards London. On the immediate left is a little toy shop, the only one at that time. It was a smaU room but a child's delight. Hoops can be seen outside. Dolls, sixpenny tin trains, toys, marbles, toy bricks, slates to draw on, sweets - were all among the shop's stock-in-trade. Sa, toa, were picture postcards, writing paper, pencils, string - sa much in so little space for sale. Looking down we see the 'Carpenters Arrns', with 'Barrack Yard' and the Grange Park in the distance. The temporary premises of Barclays Bank were not yet established in the house next to the sweet shop on the corner. Cobbie stones farm the pavement, and the roads are in paar condition. Little of these buildings now remains. The left hand side is now a shopping centre.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek