Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2367-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. The village in about 1905 with, immediately to the left, a part of the 'George Inn'. Next, wh ere women are pictured standing, a cul-de-sac leads to 'The Retreat'. Note the railings of the further footbridge, then Brown's grocers shop. Cottages follow and the road then bends going towards London. The cottage in the far distance, a sweet shop with dormer windows, stands on the junction to Gold HilI. All the trees behind these are the Grange Park. To the right is the entrance to the church. In the foreground is the other footbridge. Every building that can be seen here has now gone, with the exception of the 'Georg Inn'.

30. This lovely early 16th century house stood just off the eentre of the village, by the side of the River Misbourne. It is believed to have been, at a very early date, the vicarage. Standing ju st off the road, it was called "The Retreat'. In later years a lot of restoration and renovation was carried out on this building and it seems a great pity that where this onee stood is now part of a shopping precinct. This photograph was taken some time befere demolition of 'The Retreat'.

31. The raad bridge is now established and a horse is shown enjoying the water. The haberdashers, Redding's. and Upham's Bakers shop are pictured. Note the horses and carts. Bread is being loaded to be delivered individually to the householders, then a daily service. Thereafter, more cottages are pictured and, in the distance, 'The King's Arms', on the right. On the left of picture is the oid 'Greyhound Inn', where "Teas in the Garden' couid be obtained, as weIl as a haircut to the right of the coach entrance. The white post, immediately left on the bridge, held the 'Parish Notices' board.

VILLACE. CHALFONT ST. PETER

32. A picture taken about 1928 immediately outside the 'Greyhound Inn' and looking towards London. The two footbridges have now gone. Just a little area of water is left here, the rest having been culverted. On the left is Howard Roberts', formerly Brown's, grocers shop, and Harris's sweet shop is in the distance.

33. The 'Greyhound Inn', 14th century and Chalfont St. Peter's oldest inn, pictured in 1890. Judge Jeffreys held his courts in the room over the coach entrance and it is said that there had been a tunnel from here to 'The Grange', where the judge lived for a while before going to Bulstrode, some two miles away. Part of this Inn was built on arches, under which the River Misbourne flowed; note these at the footbridge. Much later the river was diverted at this point and now flows to the side of the building. The stone pillar and iron gate are the entrance to the vicarage, now gone, and now leads to some newly built flats for the elderly, On the immediate left of picture is part of the church yard.

Ye. OL Oe. GREYHOUND CHALFO,.."T ST. PETER.

L1LYWHITl LTD_

rA1AHGL( MAL ??..???

34. The rear of the 14th century 'Greyhound Inn', showing the coach entrance and doors to public bars. The hotel entrance was under the coach way. On the extreme left had stood wooden stables. These have been removed, and only a low wall now remains. The coach entrance has been built-in to form a cocktail bar, but it is pleasant to have this historie inn still preserved. lt is wel! maintained and the hotel service for the public is appreciated. This photograph was taken about 1925.

35. This willow island was situated behind the right hand side of the High Street. It formed a triangle with the River Misbourne surrounding it. Here, on the left, is one point of the triangle. On the right of the river, by the hurdles, stood 'The Retreat'. The island measured about one acre and had willow trees growing in abundance. There was little open ground, but the flowers and birds made it a beautiful nature reserve. It was part of the Swan Farm grounds, quite near to the riekyard. Thanks to Mrs. Bonsey, who granted permission for a plank to be placed over the narrow but quite deep river, access could be gained to the island and picnics were a joy there. Now a block of flats and a large building for stores oceupy the site. The Parish Church can be seen in the distance.

36. The Swan Farm. This pretty ivy-clad property stood at the bottom of Joiners Lane, opposite to Brown's forge to the front, and to the right hand side opposite the 'Greyhound Inn' in the village. A MI. Albert Charles Bonsey, known as Bob, had run this farm but, after his death in about 1896, his widow, Mrs. Julia Bonsey, continued with it. Standing at the gate is Charlie Bonsey, the younger son. This was a spacious house, with a basement at the back, where apples were stored. Cows grazed in Hither Meadow, adjoining, and Mrs. Bonsey sold milk. This farm was the property of Chalfont House, and the farm fields, which grew wheat, oats and barley, adjoined Chalfont Park. This also was demolished for the by-pass, and a roundabout now occupies part of this site.

37. The author, then aged twenty, taken in the fields of Swan Farm in 1922 on a hill overlooking the village, with part of Gold Hill in the distance. It is haymaking time and a horsedrawn hay-raking machine is pictured. This, and all the surrounding fields, are now built on to form the Chalfont Heights Estate. The actual spot where this picture was taken, is on the corner of what is now Chiltern Hill and Lincoln Road. The building on the immediate Ieft is part of the village High Street.

38. One of the 15th century barns at the HilI Farm in Joiners Lane. The farm and farm buildings have now gone and built on this ground, and the adjoining cherry orchard, is a housing estate. Fortunately, this barn was very carefully taken down by members of the Chiltern Society and is housed at the Chiltern Open Air Museum at Newland Park, where it is to be rebuilt.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek