Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2367-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. One of two forges in Chalfont St. Peter, taken in about 1908. The house in the background on the left is where the proprietor of this .forge, a Mr. David Brown, lived with his family - wife and four children - some of whom can be seen in the little governess cart standing in the lane. To the left, in front of the forge, is David Brown and one ofhis employees. The house in the foreground on the left was all part of the forge, but has long since collapsed. On the right can be seen part of a very old house, called Swan Cottage. This had been adapted from two farm cottages; note the old chimney wall protruding into the lane. The wall in the immediate front on the right is part of the Swan Farm property.

40. David Brown's forge at the foot of Joiners Lane, showing an interesting collection of carts. In the front, to the left, is a very refined type of governess cart, as this type of cart was called, with padded seats and backrails. Next to it is a two-seated horse and trap. Holding the horse's head is David Brown Junior. In the trap is little Jean Brown, David Brown Senior's only daughter. To the right is part of Swan Cottage. On the hobby horse to the front is Hector Brown, second son of David Brown, with a group of local children at the back, probably finding it a novelty to have their photograph taken. This was in about 1908. Every building pictured here has gene, New houses are now built on both sides of the road, all up the lane.

41. David Brown's forge, showing MI. David Brown Senior in the Iower open doorway behind an upturned farm cart. Holding the white horse is Mr. David Brown Junior, the eldest son. An employee is shoeing the horse. So much work is lying arqund for the men, who worked a very long day at the time this picture was taken in 1912. The forge collapsed in about 1937.

42. This charming old photograph was taken in about 1902. MI. David Brown Senior is seen shoeing a fine example of a shire horse. David Brown was a true Scot. It was often difficult to understand what he said, but he was an excellent blacksmith. He married a Welsh lady. Trade for him was good. This was in an agricultural area - all farms and farm land. The farm horses were lined up to be shod, accompanied by farm hands. The grooms came with the carriage horses, and many hunters. This was good hunting ground, used several times a week by the ├╝ld Berkeley Hunt, whose kennels were then at Shardeloes, Amersham, the seat of Squire Drake, some five miles away.

43. 'The King's Arms', a 17th century inn. This was a1most opposite the 'Greyhound Inn' to the front. The side of the inn was on Joiners Lane and was adjoined to the forge. Opposite was Swan Farm. This has gone and part of this site forms a roundabout. Some pretty cottages with dormer windows can be seen in the distance. They have also gone.

I'h ? ill 0 d :I d Splash Chalfont St. Pct r.

44. All that remains of the Mill, taken in the early 1900s. On the immediate right is the rear of Mil! Cottages, which faced the High Street. A little further on stood Mil! Farm. The willows grew on either side of the river, which is flowing here from the neighbouring village of Chalfont St. Giles. The 'water fall' has now gone, as weil as the wall. Also the farm, not pictured here. To the left are the playing fields, the Chalfont St. Peter football and tennis grounds and the Community Centre. On the right trees have been removed and a Boy Scouts Headquarters and a Red Cross Day Centre have been built here, part of which had been the grounds of 'The Elms'.

45. The west end of the village looking towards Aylesbury showing part of 'The King's Arrns': then sorne old cottages with gardens to the front. Note an advertisement for D. Brown & Sons of the Forge. A pathway next was called Lion Yard. This had about slx cottages, with just front doors and no backway. The small shop marked 'Todds' served as a temporary Post Office for a few years. Grassingham House is at the rear, with steps to the front door. On the left can just be seen the 'Rose and Crown' sign. The whole of the property that is pictured here has been demolished.

CHALFONT ST. PETER. THE VILLAGE, LOOKING E.

46. The west end of the village looking towards London in about 1906. On the right at the front (not shown here) was The Old Mill Farm. A mill had been behind here in the last century (see picture 44). The row of cottages are Mill Cottages. Then the 'Rose and Crown'. On the left is Grassingham House and, further along, "The King's Arms'. All of the property pictured here has been demolished.

47. Chalfont St. Peter's girls and infants schools were built almast one-hundred years aga, and were erected by public subscription. The schools are situated behind the Parish Church, off Church Lane. They have since been enlarged several times and now join the boys' school, which was built in 1912 just below the girls and infants schools. These are Church of England schools. Note the bell (now gone). The pump is against the wall, midway between the two smaller windows and half-hidden by a group of children. This, of course, was then the only water supply, There are now other schools in the parish, including a really large Secondary Modern School serving several parishes, and a Roman Catholic school built near to their church, St. Joseph's, at Austenwood. In addition, we have several free-paying schools, bath day and boarding.

48. This school group was taken in about 1903 at the local girls' school The governess on the right was a Miss Lowther. She was Welsh and retained her accent. She spent most ofher working life at this school, teaching several generations of children. She was very thorough and taught all subjects. The teacher on the left was a Miss Welch, who also taught at the school for many years. She lived at Layters Green Farm. Many of the children had a long way to walk to school. Note the very strong boots in the front row, with hobnails on the soles. These strong boots were very practical, especially for out-distance children. There were no Wellington boots or a school bus. Most girls wore pinafores to keep their dresses clean. All wore boots; there were no shoes. Note the style of dress of both children and grown-ups, very different from todays.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek