Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Audrey Wheelband
:   Buckinghamshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2367-9
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. A group from the girls' school performing at a school concert which took place each Christmas before the school holidays, They wore red sashes on their white dresses, and each had a bunch of paper poppies which were made at school. They sang the Poppysong:

The pappies we gaily wave tonight, Always will keep fresh and bright.

They were not born in the open glade, But of paper and wire and rib bon are made.

Sa we have them, that they will not fade.

Pappies, paper pappies.

This photograph was taken in about 1911.

50. This is a group of children in the infants' school, taken in 1913. The teacher on the left, a Miss Wingfield, was born in the village and taught the infants all her working life. Note the dress, !ittle changed yet from earlier years.

51. A group from the village boys' school, taken in 1913. The headmaster on the left is a Mr. Chase, an excellent master, who died when fairly young. The teacher on the right is a Mr. Harriss. Most boys wore what we called 'Eton' collars, so named from the uniform of the boys at Eton College, one of England's foremost public schools about nine miles distance from the village. While the Eton College boys' collars were washed and starched, the village boys' were made from celluloid. These were wiped clean. The boy in the top row first left is John Swallow from Beech Cottage, and the one on the immediate right is Tom Davies. His father was the Minister of the Gold Hill Baptist Church.

52. In earlier days these maypole performances were a common occurrence, the children dancing round the pole in their right order so that the rib bons became plaited. It was pleasant to watch and took place on May Day. Here are the infants of the village school with their ribbons, ready to start dancing in the grounds of 'Adstock' by kind permission of Mrs. J.c. Keys, in about 1930. The school seen in the distance on the right is the boys' school. The boy in the front, just to the left, is Dennis Dell, garage proprietor (see picture 2).

53. The Parish Church, 18th century vicarage and barns, as seen from a meadow called 'Love's Delight', now the site of allotments. The vicarage was a large three-storey building standing in quite extensive grounds, with a large kitchen garden, two tennis courts and a fish pond, fed from the River Misboume. The vicarage and barns have long since gone (the new vicarage is in Austenway) and on this site are now council flats for the elderly and a car park. To the right of picture can be seen part of the Church of England school playground. This is the end of Church Lane.

54. The Cottage Hospital, so named when it was built in 1871, the gift of the Hibbert family, who Iived at Chalfont House. Then, there were six beds and one cot. After several extensions, the hospital now has thirty-one beds, an operating theatre, physiotherapy and X-ray departments. lts title is now "The Chalfonts and Gerrards Cross Hospital', serving the village and the surrounding parishes very weIl. It is situated in the Gold HilI area, a short walk from the village centre. It has a very active 'League of Friends' who have, by means of appeals and other fund-raising efforts, contributed large sums of money to the hospital, thus aIlowing improvements and additions to be made.




55. The Grange in about 1900-1912, then the residence of Adolph Fass, The family were kind and generous to the poor of the parish. Later, a Mr. John Leeming lived here after which, in around 1925, it became an hotel for a few years. Now it is the Holy Cross Convent, a boarding and day school for girls and an excellent establishment. The grounds make pleasant playing fields where there are tennis courts, a swirnming pool and all modern amenities. It has been much enlarged since this picture was taken. There had been a house on this site from the early 16th century. Steeped in history, it had associations with the Quakers before the Meeting House at Jordans had been built. Also, the wicked Judge Jeffreys lived here, before he moved to Bulstrode, some two miles away, The Grange is situated behind the east end of the village.

56. Gold Hill Lane, pictured as it was until1922 when, on the right, about thirty shops were built, as weU as a village hall at the lower end. This has now gone and has been replaced, at Gravel Hill, by a much larger Community Centre. The Grange Estate still flanks the left hand side of the road, now known as Market Place.

?? '~/ddlesex sna 8uckmgflamshlr8 Adrerllser" Series. Uxbrldge.

57. Gold Hill Baptist Church stands at the top of Gold Hill, an area adjoining the village. It faces Gold Hill Common, a large open space with a football pitch and an arena, where functions are held from time to time. The church is a very active one, running social events, etc., in addition to its usual Christian work. This picture shows the first and second churches to be built. The newer one has since been enlarged, with a hall built at the back and also, just round the corner, there is a new manse.

58. The top of Gold Hill Common with the road by the Baptist Church leading down to the village and, around the far corner, to Austenwood. The raad in the immediate front of picture leads to Chalfont St. Giles. The two old cottages on the right have been converted to one house. After the next three cottages, a part of 'The Jolly Farmer' public house is pictured, with the sign on the Common. The last buildings on the right were once two houses, known as Rock House and Bridgeford House. These have been adapted, with additions, to a nice home for the elderly, now known as Rock House.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek