Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2367-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

COpYRIGHT C S.P 2

GOLD HILL COMMON. CHALFONT ST. PETER.

ULYWHITE LTOM rA'ANGlf. H .?. LI' .?.?

59. Another part of Gold Hill Common in about 1920. The cottages still remain, but have been modernised and porches added. The white house seen at the far end has been demolished, and a large, very modern home for the elderly is now here, cal1ed 'Hibbert Lodge' and sa named in memory of the Hibbert family of Chalfont House, who had done much for the Parish in the last century. It was fitting that Colonel Hibbert, a direct descendant, came from Hereford for the opening ceremony in 1982. The pond was filled-in in 1938. The area behind it, once a large cherry orchard, is now built up. Behind the large trees is the Grange Estate, now the Holy Cross Convent.

60. 'The Jolly Farmer' public house. Situated at the top of Gold Hili Common and next to Rock House, it commands a fine view over the valley, in which lies the village of Chalfont St. Peter. Originally, this was a very small place, kept by a Mr. and Mrs. Jeffcoat. Later it was modified as pictured, but has since been demolished and a reaIly large public house now occupies this site. Visited by thousands, 'The Jolly Farmer' is weIl known for its excellent food and wine, especially its sandwiches, the variety of which seems to know no bounds. There is now a large estate built in the fields at the back.

61. Lay ters Green is a hamIet of the parish, situated just behind Gold Hil!. The road through it leads to Beaconsfield. Here is the pond and, behind, three cottages. These have been converted to one house. Behind this is now Pond Lane, which has been completely built up. Layters Green Farm stands to the right of the pond, with a few other nice oid houses scattered around. This is one of the more peaceful areas of the parish.

J.

62. Austenwood Common from the top of School Lane in about 1908. The two cottages have been gone some time. The pond has also disappeared. On the top left now stands St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, built in 1915. Where the cottage stands is now an Abbeyfield home for the elderly. Holly Tree Farm is on the left, just out of picture. No doubt the cows are heading for this farm. Just around the lane from the church is a large establishment, called 'Maltmans Green'. At the turn of the century the Drummond family lived here. They were well-known merchant bankers. One son won the Victoria Cross medal for gallantry in World War I. This is now a boarding and day school for girls and an excellent establishment.

COPYRIGHT l:~P 13

AUSTEN wOOD COf'04MON. CHALFONT ST. PETER.

L.lLYWHfU. LTOM rA1ANGL( HIloU'U

63. Holly Tree Farm. Note the old holly tree in the front, taller than the house itself. This was not really a farm, but two farm cottages with a large barn attached - see extreme left of picture. A Mr. Darvill and a Mr. Green lived here in the early 1900s. This is very old property, with a unique position standing on high ground in the middle of Austenwood Common, overlooking St. Joseph's Church on the corner of Bull Lane, built in 1915. Today's picture is very different. In 1923 this property was converted to one house, incorporating the large barn, seen here on the left and covered with Virginia Creeper. That is now a music room with a gallery. Additions were also made, resulting in a very desirabie property. Another barn at the back was converted to a smaller house.

64. Oval Way. There are two residential roads here forrning an oval, They were laid down at the time the railway opened in 1906 and are situated very conveniently near to the station. The church of All Saints, built in 1912, stands to the right hand side to the front, just out of picture. Up to the present time, the trees standing in the oval have made considerable growth and, with flowering shrubs amongst them, give a pleasing atmosphere. Today, these roads and all the surrounding ones are built on to capacity.

65. 'The Bull Inn', dating back to 1688. On the main London to Oxford road, this has always been busy, especially in the days of the stage coach and highway robbers. 1t faces a large stretch of common land. Now in Gerrards Cross, this area was until the late 19th century part of Chalfont St. Peter parish. The inn has been much enlarged, in fact it now reaches to the extreme left of picture, where a cottage once stood. A notice may been seen boasting 'Good Accommodation'. It is now 'The Bull Hotel', a really large, luxurious place, extremely weIl known over a large area. Note the vehicles here. This card was posted in 1907. When the original Gerrards Cross Cricket Club was formed, they had their pitch ju st opposite from 'The Bull Inn', In July 1982, the club celebrated their centenary, playing matches in clothes relevant to the times.

66. The railway station, serving Chalfont St. Peter and other areas, as it was when built in 1906. It was then on the Great Western and Great Central Railway, Later this was changed to beoome The London and North Eastern. Now it is British Rail. From here it is thirty minutes' journey time to London (Marylebone). It is a busy station. Trains go to Banbury and Bicester in Oxfordshire, then link up from th ere for journeys further afield. At one time trains went right through to Birkenhead on Merseyside. Much ground was developed and population increased quickly after the railway was open ed. The actual building remains the same, but a car park is here now and the whole area completely built up.

COPYRIGHT C.S.P. A.

JOROAN'S MEETING HOUSE. NR. CHALFONT ST. PETER.

ULYWMITl L TO~ TAI"N." HAlt,. ?.?

67. Jordans Meeting House in WeIders Lane, just over one mile from the village. Here can be seen the graves of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, and his family. Also, Thomas Ellwood, a friend of Milton. The utter simplicity, both inside and outside of this place, is very beautifuL Dating back to 1688, it lies almost hidden by the wooded area around, making an ideal spot for these (then) persecuted people. The front of the building remains the same today, but some years ago the living quarters were enlarged - very weIl and in keeping with the dignity of the building. This is a great tourist attraction, particularly for Americans. Just beyond to the left is the famous Mayflower Bam, now used a lot for art exhibitions and music concerts. Also, Jordans Hostel, a great asset. Older than the Meeting House, it is residential,

,

.' .

68. This old cottage stood just outside the village on the main road and junction with Rickmansworth Lane and Copthall Lane, opposite 'The Elms'. Originally it was the Toll House. Early this century it was purchased by its occupier, who ran his business from here. 'J.H. Bastin, Carrier to and from Uxbridge daily' the van was worded. To the left of the picture can be seen the stabIe built for the horse. After the purchase, Mr. Bastin named his cottage 'Pee Wit CastIe' and this name remains on the flats which now occupy the site. Mr. Bastin had only one arm, but skilfully managed with the aid of an iron hook on the other arm. One of the many good things he did was to grow flowers, seil them, and donate the proceeds to our local hospital. A noble gentleman.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek