Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Audrey Wheelband
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2367-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. A tableau, taken about 1914, on a cart which took part in a parade in aid of the village hospital. These parades took place each summer. MI. Bastin, the village carrier, could always be seen on these occasions with a collecting box, shaking it at all, and getting good results, The man here wearing war medals, quite likely from the Boer War, was a MI. Doel. The little nurse is Ada Rance, now Mrs. Ada Gibbs.

70. A party of men pictured in about 1930 just back from a charabanc outing, probably from 'The Derby' racecourse at Epsom, Surrey, or from Ascot races, near Windsor, some eight miles away. The picture was taken outside the oid 'Bakers Arms', This shows a side view of the 'Barrack Yard', not illustrated elsewhere.

71. Probably early 18th century cottages, standing on a pleasant bank on Gravel Hill, ju st beyond the vilIage in the direction of Aylesbury. Mrs. Sally Lane lived in one of the cottages and at the turn of the century, and before, could be seen sitting on the bank making Buckinghamshire lace, with pillow and bobbins, These cottages have been demolished for road widening. The road in the front leads to Rickmansworth Lane, also to the Chalfont Centre for Epilepsy. To the left stands the Hili House, once a private estate, but now the International Bee Research Centre. To the left of this building is the main London road and, on the right, is Copthall Lane. On the opposite side ofthe building is the 'Waggon and Horses', now enlarged and modernised.

72. A side view of "The Elms', the residence before World War I. of Admiral Sir Vesey Hamilton. This stood on Gravel HilI, opposite to the Toll House of MI. Bastin's. On the far side there are some remains of the boundary wall. On part of the grounds now stands a new Red Cross Day Centre and a Boy Scouts' premises. The River Misbourne flows at the back of these buildings, 'The Elms' has been demolished for road widening.

Tb. W1)eatley's, ebalfont St. 'Yeter.

H. G. Ston~, Photo., Slough.

73. "The Wheatleys' on the Amersham Road, about half-a-mile from the village. pictured as it was very early in the century. A large house standing in its own grounds, the house still remains, but most of the trees are gone. This was used as a guest house at one time, advertised at 'Three guineas per week inclusive' .

[The Dining Room].

74. Standing in 'The Wheatleys' grounds, the separate building shown here was used as the dining room during the time 'The Wheatleys' was run as a guest house. This has been demolished but 'The Wheatleys', a very well built house, has been kept in excellent condition and still remains privately owned.

THE VILLACE HALL. HORN HILL.

75. Hom HilI is a hamIet of Chalfont St. Peter, situated on the Hertfordshire border. Here is the village hall, as it was when built in 1911 by public subscription. The facade has since been altered and the house on one side has gone, the other eniarged. A1terations have taken place to most cottages. This area is protected by the Green Belt, areas protected by UK legislation from development. The hall has always proved an asset to this small community and is well preserved. During World War Il, it was used for a schooL Facing this hall, just out of picture, is St. Paul's Church, a chapel of ease to the Parish Church of St. Peter, and was built in 1866.

-:OPVRIGH' CS p 9

MEMORIAL ANO ENTAAHCE TO COLONY.

Ct-4AL,.ONT ST. Pf;TEfit

,;~

UI.YWHITl I.TO. rllH.HOI.'. M.l.'''''.

76. The Chalfont Centre for Epileptics, known to the older inhabitants as 'The Colony', was established in 1894 one mile from the village. It is a col1ection of various homes for persons suffering from epilepsy. There are workshops where patients learn shoemaking, tailoring, farming and other skills. The females do laundry and needlework of all kinds. Some of the handwork performed by the women is of very high quality. This obelisk stands at the entrance. 1t is not really a Memorial, but acts as a milestone. It was built by Sir William Gott as a hunting mark for George IV., when hunting with him. Sir William Gott then lived at Newland Park, an adjoining estate. This obelisk was once struck by lightning and now only half of it remains.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek